PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Question

Sparks2112
06-09-09, 12:25
If one were to decide to carry a Glock 20SF what do you think the best all around load for it would be? I'm thinking DT or BB 180g Gold Dots or perhaps 165g DT. Thoughts? Does DocGKR have an opinion?

El Cid
06-24-09, 17:47
Obviously not Doc, but FWIW... I have switched over all my personal weapons to Corbon DPX. The only time I use something different now is when my agency makes me (i.e. my duty G22 and G27). If I had a 10mm handgun I'd use DPX. I wish I could carry it in my 10mm MP5, but it has a strict diet of 190gr Federal JHP's.

Fail-Safe
06-25-09, 10:52
Neither of the two DT loads you mentioned are for 10mm, they are born as .40S&W loads. Speer is on record saying they dont reccomend usingGold Dots in cartridges that push them too far past what fps they were designed for.

The only load I am aware of in 10mm, that DT loads, is the 200gr Gold Dot. That would be my choice.

benthughes
06-26-09, 13:03
A Glock 20 for daily carry? That's a big ol' gun that gets even bigger with a full mag. Not knocking it, it's a great gun and I own one and love it! What made you chose the G20? My carry gun is a G23. In my Glock 20 I use 200Gr Buffalo Bore ammo. It's primary use is outdoors/4 legged critters.

Ray T
06-26-09, 18:44
I carry a Glock 20 SF for off-duty use. My carry load is the Winchester 10mm 175gr Silver Tip.

My on duty gun is my Glock 21SF loaded with department issue Federal 230 gr HST+Ps.

benthughes
06-26-09, 23:37
Same size frame. Sounds good to me. Gotta love that 15 round capacity of the 20! I played with my friends H&K compact .45 today. Very nice feel to it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-30-09, 10:02
If I might encroach, it seems that there are not as many factory loaded self-defense loads in 10mm as there is in 40SW (duh). How do the more tailored and numerous loads for the SW40 compare to the 10mm ballistic advantage?

From the statements above, it seems that 10mm/40 bullets are being optimized for the 40SW cartridge. At what point, if there is one, do the more modern 40SW rounds reduce the advantage of the higher power of the 10mm?

Ray T
06-30-09, 11:31
Double Taps .40 S&W load:

The 155gr Bonded Defense JHP @ 1275fps from a Glock 23!

1200fps 495 ft/lbs from a 3.5"bbl.

1310fps 590 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl.

Caliber : .40 S&W

Bullet : Bonded Defense JHP

Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1275fps / 560 ft/lbs- Glock 23 (4.0"bbl)

Double Taps 10mm:

An excellent defensive load for your 10mm!

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : Montana Gold JHP

Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1475fps / 750ft/lbs- Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1405fps

DocGKR
06-30-09, 11:56
Ray T--You are providing external ballistic data, how does this translate into being "an excellent defensive load"? How deep do the bullets penetrate, what is the expanded diameter, what is the retained weight, how do they resist plugging in heavy clothing, how do they perform against intermediate barriers? Those are questions that need to be answered before one can determine if something is "an excellent defensive load".

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-30-09, 12:28
Ray T--You are providing external ballistic data, how does this translate into being "an excellent defensive load"? How deep do the bullets penetrate, what is the expanded diameter, what is the retained weight, how do they resist plugging in heavy clothing, how do they perform against intermediate barriers? Those are questions that need to be answered before one can determine if something is "an excellent defensive load".

Do you know anyone that can answer those questions? ;)

In my head, I'm just thinking about it like the old Wankel rotaty engine versus the standard reciprocating. The Wankel had theoretical engineering on its side, but there is just so much more R&D work done on standard engines that the Wankel never won the fight. Still want one of those mid 90s Rx-7s though.

Ray T
06-30-09, 16:00

True...I listed external ballistic data for the 10mm and .40 cal loads from Double Tap. I listed the information for comparison. Are these an "excellent defensive load"? I wouldn't say that because I have not shot anything living with the 155 gr 10mm loads.

I have used the 10mm 175 gr. Silvertips on four and two legged targets. All times, it has worked for me. I still feel, no matter the caliber or "magic" bullet is used...shot placement is the key. :)

DocGKR - you provide great info !