PDA

View Full Version : Anyone trim the size of their Glock slide stop lever?

Chris17404
06-09-09, 19:12
Hi all,

I use a thumbs-forward grip when shooting my G19, and quite often I ride the slide stop lever, which results in the slide not locking open when the magazine is empty. I am considering the possibility of trimming my slide stop to help prevent this.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this before. If so, how did you do it, and what were the results? Since I always use an overhand grasp on the slide to chamber a round, the only time I actually need to manipulate the slide stop lever is to manually hold the slide open when needed. I never use it for shooting at all.

I'd like to hear your advice on this subject. Of course, many of you may say I need to train my thumb to stay off the slide stop lever, and that's ok too. I'd just like to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Chris

matthewdanger
06-09-09, 19:29
I have considered doing this but never done it. I will be watching this thread for input.

I believe I remember reading a while back that Dave Sevigny trims his slide stop lever to accommodate his high thumbs forward grip. I could be wrong on this though.

Saur
06-09-09, 21:34
I took a tac handgun class a couple weeks ago with some family and one of the instructors had done so for the same reasons.

NCPatrolAR
06-09-09, 22:43
The Glock slide release is pretty small as is......I think you'd be better served training to lay your thumb to the side of the release.

Looey
06-09-09, 22:54
The Glock slide release is pretty small as is......I think you'd be better served training to lay your thumb to the side of the release.

+1
Also understand that you will need that slide release/lock to get though a Hard Malfunction/Double feed drill.
I would reposition the placement of your thumbs within your grip.

Heavy Metal
06-09-09, 23:11
Shift your thumb to the left of your support hand knuckle and get used to feeling for that knuckle.

YVK
06-09-09, 23:58
I believe David Bowie offers this service.

Having said that, I've had the same issue when I started shooting Glock and I didn't have much problem to retrain my thumb position. It didn't take much time either.

There is a strong opinion that neither thumb should exert much pressure on the frame. I took that a secondary benefit of retraining myself to roll my strong side thumb out.

trio
06-10-09, 00:25
+1
Also understand that you will need that slide release/lock to get though a Hard Malfunction/Double feed drill.
I would reposition the placement of your thumbs within your grip.

+2

I have big thumbs, and have this problem with almost every handgun I've shot, save the 1911 style...

i have adjusted my grip so that my strong side thumb goes out and onto the back of my weak side hand...

i also had to move my weak side thumb back some after "discovering" that it was ahead of the muzzle when I shot a G26 :D

Beat Trash
06-10-09, 17:01
Shift your thumb to the left of your support hand knuckle and get used to feeling for that knuckle.

I did this when I started carrying a Glock 19 as an off duty/CCW gun in 2000. I found I only had to move my thumb to the left just a tad. Once I got the feel of it, it became a non-issue for me.

JonInWA
06-10-09, 17:41
I prefer the Glock extended slide stop/release-but I shoot thumb-over-thumb so it's a non-issue for me (high thumbs/thumb forward just didn't seem to work).

David Sevigny did in fact modify his G35 extended slide stop/release, milling away a significant portion of it on his competition G35; I not sure if he did the same with his G34.

A simple(r) solution might be just to use the OEM flat slide lock instead of the Glock extended one, if that is the situation you're dealing with.

Best, Jon