PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the LCR

1_click_off
06-09-09, 20:08
I held the LCP and the LCR this weekend and left with the LCP. The LCR seemed larger than needed, the grip was in my opinion too big for a concel carry. I am comparing it to my taurus ultra-lite. Think it had my taurus on the trigger pull. That is a smooth pull. Just seems overall bigger than needed. What do you guys think of it. It was $445.00.

mourneblade
06-09-09, 21:00
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I put it in a nemesis pocket holster. Conceals with no problems in my short's pocket. I read on a board someone claiming it had no recoil, well then I guess my P30 has negative recoil. :) My hand get a little sore when I shoot it, but I'll get used to it. It's my first snubnose revolver so I don't have anything to compare it with. More accurate that I thought it would be. Feels lighter than my wallet and phone sometimes.

Icculus
06-10-09, 10:06
What do you guys think of it. It was $445.00.

What do I think...I think I would wait and see if some of the hysteria goes away cause I think $445 for the LCR is craziness! I've held one and while I wasn't crazy about it, its probably more I'm just not really a wheel gun kinda guy. You're right though, the trigger on the one I played with was very nice. Saw you're other thread looking for .380 auto. Hope you found some ammo and are enjoying your new LCP:)

kmrtnsn
06-10-09, 10:13
I'd like to see it. My wife has a 340PD in .357 as an ankle gun. If this ends up retailing for $350-375 it'd made a nice back-up, alternative carry gun for weekends, etc at near half the price of a 340PD.

ST911
06-10-09, 11:11
I had a chance to shoot an LCR the other day, and compare it to my EDC 642.

The LCR is a little larger and a little lighter. The difference in size is more apparent than the difference in weight. Pocket carriers will find that the LCR takes up more space and presents a larger external profile. Those carrying on the ankle, belt, or off-body won't see much difference.

The LCR feels good in the hand. The grip is a bit longer than on the boot-gripped 642, and allows the pinky a place to rest. The novice or hobby shooter tends to value that most, not recognizing the minimal value and tremendous liability that pinky typically is on short gripped guns. The grip on the LCR is a little softer as well. In my opinion, the difference in the feel of the LCR folks often note isn't something inherent in the gun, it's the grip, and could be duplicated on other platforms.

Trigger pull on the LCR is smooth out of the box, and is much like others after a few hundred rounds of polish.

When shooting the LCR, be sure to allow the trigger full forward travel for trigger reset. In the sample I shot, there was apparent and distinct reset point about 3/4 of the way forward, and a less engagement point forward of that one. Pressing the trigger after the first created a malfunction. The second, but less distinct, was the reset to press from. This is unlike the J-frames which have a soft engagement to the rear, and the distinct one ahead of that. I was not able to get inside the gun to see the parts in play.

The LCR has a different feel in recoil than the 642. Some have said that the felt recoil was less. Quantitatively, I think they're the same. Qualitatively, they are indeed different. I'd attribute that again to the grip more than anything else.

The sample I played with will be going into a training rotation and will see a few thousand rounds (3-5k) by the end of the summer. I'll post pertinents as they occur.

Overall, it's a viable CCW or BUG option. No more, no less.