PDA

View Full Version : Warren rear sight rusting

SecretNY
06-09-09, 20:29
Hey guys, I run Warren's on both my Glocks and recently we have had a bunch of rain and I noticed my rears are starting to rust right at the base. What can I do to fix/stop this from happening.

Thanks
SNY

decodeddiesel
06-09-09, 21:09
Hey guys, I run Warren's on both my Glocks and recently we have had a bunch of rain and I noticed my rears are starting to rust right at the base. What can I do to fix/stop this from happening.

Thanks
SNY

Uh...gun oil?

NCPatrolAR
06-09-09, 22:40
I knock the rust off with a toothbrush then coat the surface with oil. I've been dealing with the rust issue and Warren sights for a few years now.

Looey
06-09-09, 23:01
probably my only complaint about warren sights are the fact that they rust easily, I clean them often and keep them coated with some CLP

SecretNY
06-09-09, 23:11
First time I had to deal with this issue. Thanks for the replies.

the_fallguy
06-09-09, 23:15
A little Militec 1 applied and hit with a heat gun does an even better job of preventing rust than normal gun oil. That's the one nice thing about the factory Glock night sights; they are tennifer coated so they don't rust like the aftermarket sights can.

rob_s
06-10-09, 10:47
I think Todd mentioned that they were doing something different on the newer ones to address this issue. Both of my Warren rears have rusted too.

Littlelebowski
06-10-09, 10:49
Eezox is the best protectant I've used.

ToddG
06-10-09, 11:51
Eezox, as Lil'L said, has often been proven to be the best rust preventative.
Earlier Warren sights had finish issues from time to time. Eezox is probably the best solution. If it really bothers you, contact the manufacturer.
For a while now, they've been using a different company to provide the finish and I've not heard any problems with the improved version.

unclestevie45
09-11-09, 07:07
I just had a set installed on a G17 two weeks ago. The rear sight is indeed rusting on the base.

Bill Bryant
09-11-09, 09:47
I've never seen a trace of rust on anything I've covered with CorrosionX.

thopkins22
09-11-09, 11:25
I've never seen a trace of rust on anything I've covered with CorrosionX.

CorrosionX is great stuff. I use it on all of my saltwater fishing reels that are constantly getting dunked and have yet to see the first spot of rust.

MadcapMagician
09-11-09, 12:32
I've had this issue as well. My solution is car wax. Been a year and a half of carry, competition, cleaning and not a problem.

Wax on, wax off. I first used it on my old Kimber Classic that had a the finish about completely worn off.