PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 or Colt 6920 which one

jp0319
06-09-09, 22:41
Ok I know there have been a lot which one posts lately so forgive me but I need help. I have a 6920 on layaway in the states right now. My dealer has a DDM4 that I could swap out for so my question is if it were you which one would you get Colt 6920 ($1700) or DD M4 ($1500). I know the colt is everything an M4 should be but has no accessories. The DDM4 has everything but an optic.

Opinions please.

crusader377
06-09-09, 22:51
At the prices that you mentioned, I would definitely get a DD M4 over the colt. The rifle itself is of very similiar quality to the colt plus it comes with numerous extra features plus it is cheaper. IMO the DD is a much better value for the money.

On the other hand, I think $1700 is way too much for a colt. There are NIB Colt 6920 listed on gunbroker for under $1300.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131082243

SWATcop556
06-10-09, 00:29
Nothing wrong with the Pony but I'm really liking the DDM4. Add an optic and white light and you are set.

I'll be adding one of these as soon as I'm able.

SkiDevil
06-10-09, 01:05
I second the COLT. Especially if you can cancel the order and purchase one for $1300. I had the opportunity to examine a DDM4 a few days ago. It is a nice rifle, but for what it costs. I would personally wait/ save a little more and get a NOVESKE N4.

That said. Yes, If you are a COLT fan. Then get the 6920. As much as I like Daniel Defense products, which I use on my rifles. I don't think in terms of barrel quality, that many guns will approach the quality of a NOVESKE.

In fairness, I have not had the opportunity to fire a DDM4, but I have shot many COLTS. The COLT is fine weapon. If you can wait, then check them-out for your self.

I spoke with a friend today in Colorado who says more and more guns (all kinds) are starting to show-up. Last weekend, at a gun show in CA. I saw more ARs, parts, and ammo than I have seen in quite a while. I was looking to buy another NOVESKE rifle, but at $3,000 for a basically stock rifle. I will wait. Now that more rifles are available, the prices are sure to drop. I saw one dealer with about 20 NOVESKE rifles. I don't recall EVER seeing that in this area. He told me that he had just received them a few days earlier.

Good Luck. Either way whether you choose the COLT or DD, I am sure you will be well served with either.

SkiDevil

jp0319
06-10-09, 04:33
The quality of the Colt is un questionable, the DDM4 is new but seems to be very impressive in quality and accessories. The Colt was put on layaway a few months ago so it may be cheaper now. I would LOVE to get a Noveske but the concept of the layaway is more convienient for me.

I think the DD has the overall quality of the colt except maybe for the barrel. But the DD has so many accessories that I would have to buy for the colt. Ahhh, to may decisions.

Iraqgunz
06-10-09, 04:42
Considering that Noveskes are pretty much "unobtanium" at the moment and looking at the cost difference between the Colt and Noveske the DD M4 is right about middle. Considering the options that you get and that the specs are almost if not identical I say go with the DDM4. As for the barrel I believe that they are both 4150 and both are HP/MPI tested.

The quality of the Colt is un questionable, the DDM4 is new but seems to be very impressive in quality and accessories. The Colt was put on layaway a few months ago so it may be cheaper now. I would LOVE to get a Noveske but the concept of the layaway is more convienient for me.

I think the DD has the overall quality of the colt except maybe for the barrel. But the DD has so many accessories that I would have to buy for the colt. Ahhh, to may decisions.

shadco
06-10-09, 06:01
Your pricing parameters make it an easy choice imo.

If the Colt price didn't include such a silly premium it would be a much harder choice.

Smuckatelli
06-10-09, 07:58
Wait until you get back to CONUS and then re-assess.

Prices are dropping and availablity is going up. There really is no need to commit yourself right now to one or the other.

jp0319
06-10-09, 08:29
Thanks for the input guys, Its a done deal, my dealer e-mailed me he did the swap. I think given the price, features, and your input I made a good decision.

rob_s
06-10-09, 10:43
Given those prices, I'd opt for the DD. But I voted for the Colt in the poll because that Colt price is silly.

ProMed
06-10-09, 13:29
Are you considering the 6940 as well?

decodeddiesel
06-10-09, 14:18
The price on that Colt is ridiculous. I saw 3 6920s sitting on the shelf at a local fun store (along side of an FN SCAR) for $1299. Oh and the SCAR was $2199.

The only reason I would take a Colt over a DD is a more proven track record. I have no doubt the DD is going to be a great gun over the long haul, but the Colt has "been around the block".

Iraqgunz
06-10-09, 15:48
Are you shitting me? A SCAR for 2199? I would jump all over that like white on rice.

The price on that Colt is ridiculous. I saw 3 6920s sitting on the shelf at a local fun store (along side of an FN SCAR) for $1299. Oh and the SCAR was $2199.

The only reason I would take a Colt over a DD is a more proven track record. I have no doubt the DD is going to be a great gun over the long haul, but the Colt has "been around the block".

decodeddiesel
06-10-09, 16:56
Are you shitting me? A SCAR for 2199? I would jump all over that like white on rice.

I will have to verify. Honestly I thought that's what it said but I didn't look too close because if I brought home another rifle right now I would probably loose my man-hood in a tragic accident involving mama and a sharp instrument.

.45fmjoe
06-10-09, 17:10
Considering that Noveskes are pretty much "unobtanium" at the moment and looking at the cost difference between the Colt and Noveske the DD M4 is right about middle. Considering the options that you get and that the specs are almost if not identical I say go with the DDM4. As for the barrel I believe that they are both 4150 and both are HP/MPI tested.

A Colt is CMV, not 4150.

Anyway, the DD is new to the market. How are their bolts made? Lower parts? I bought a Colt for the peace of mind.

Iraqgunz
06-10-09, 18:07
Hmmmm....I could have sworn that Colt barrels were 4150 CMV.

A Colt is CMV, not 4150.

Anyway, the DD is new to the market. How are their bolts made? Lower parts? I bought a Colt for the peace of mind.

rubberneck
06-10-09, 18:37
All things being equal I almost always go with the company that has been at it longer. Daniel Defense, while an excellent company, is at their first rodeo building guns and Colt has made several million AR's. There is something to be said about institutional memory.

Shadow1198
06-10-09, 19:13
Hands down the DD M4. It is one of the most balanced box stock AR's I've seen in awhile. It's not too heavy, and IMO you get a lot more for the money compared to a 6920.

.45fmjoe
06-10-09, 20:59
Hmmmm....I could have sworn that Colt barrels were 4150 CMV.

OK, yeah... you are correct. I'm an idiot. :eek:

4150 CMV is correct.

Ttwwaack
06-10-09, 21:36
The AR15 market lately has gone to the bears. I picked up a 6920 for $1309 to the FFL's door (Plus a case of MGD and a service fee) last week. I'd shop arround. I thought I was getting a deal but I've seen them cheaper since w/out shipping.

jp0319
06-10-09, 22:20
Are you considering the 6940 as well?

no, didnt really like the feel of it.

As far as the pricing goes I am sure my dealer is selling the colt for less now but the price for the colt I listed was from like 3 months ago when I put it on layaway. The DDM4 price is current as of today. I made the switch, listened to all the imput here read the previous posts, and based upon my preferences I made the decision. Given the opinion by most here with experience with the guns and the specs I believe thje DDM4 is as good quality wise and better accessory wise. All I really need now is a Magpul MAID, and Aimpoint T-1, and some rail covers and its good to go.

BSHNT2015
06-10-09, 22:31
I have DD products and use Colt at work and own a few, hands down I like the Colt but for what you're paying for compared with the Colt 6920, the DD beats the Colt . I am sure you already checked the specs, so it boils down to the name Colt. Does this fit the "want" or "need" factor? Down and dirt they both work. Good luck.

Iraqgunz
06-11-09, 02:32
You scared me for a minute. I thought that the local crack man sold me a bad batch and I was ate up.

OK, yeah... you are correct. I'm an idiot. :eek:

4150 CMV is correct.

bigretic
06-11-09, 03:09
Just curious....not trying to start an argument...but why does Colt have a military contract opposed DD(and all the other mfgs.)?If said maker can build a gun that is comparable to the 6920 for CHEAPER,why aren't they using it?

Iraqgunz
06-11-09, 03:26
That answer is so complex and varied that it could be discussed here for months. Bottom line is that Colt has been producing the weapon for over 40 years. Obvious progress has been made as we have seen FN move in and produce M16 series weapons.

Daniel Defense is new to the gun manufacturing business. Then of course you have the typical military resistance to change mentality and it's obvious to see why.

Just look at the staggering gas rings myth. It continues in the military to this day.

Just curious....not trying to start an argument...but why does Colt have a military contract opposed DD(and all the other mfgs.)?If said maker can build a gun that is comparable to the 6920 for CHEAPER,why aren't they using it?

jp0319
06-11-09, 04:53
so Iraqgunz you have a DDM4 right? Are you happy with it, is it up to the expectations and hype? Just wondering how you feel, and for that matter anyone else that actually ownes one.

rob_s
06-11-09, 05:27

Daniel Defense, it appears, meets many of the criteria and specs that the Colt does. In terms of the Chart they are probably very close. However, there are a lot of criteria and specs that don't even show up on the Chart. The receiver extension is a great example of this as the Colt is forged while every other maker I've asked uses an extruded part. Colts internal parts are widely regarded as being the very best there is and with good reason (no idea who's LPKs DD is using though).

Also, as stated above, the quoted price for the Colt is completely ridiculous. A Colt 6920 is a $1,200 gun at good retail. Note that every other maker that's tried to come close to Colt specs has wound up close to Colt pricing. This should be considered a clue.

With the little I know about the DD I certainly wouldn't feel under gunned with one, but if buying my first AR I'd still buy the 6920. Yeah, the DD comes with a "better" stock and grip, a rear BUIS, a rail system, etc. but after all these years I've come to the conclusion that once you strip away all the gear-queer tendencies a 6920 with an A1 grip and a Gapper and a cut down carryhandle rear BUIS is more than enough gun. IMHO the only modification the M4 stock "needs" is to take the screw out and remove the sling swivel from it. The only modification the gun "needs" is a light and mount and an Aimpoint and mount.

In terms of function:function the only thing the DD offers that the 6920 doesn't is the rail and the VFG.

Iraqgunz
06-11-09, 05:39
jp,

Yes, I bought one back in February, but unfortunately I have not fired it yet as I am OCONUS. I had my wife take it apart and send me some pics and everything on the surface appeared up to snuff with the exception of forgetting to stake the castle nut. They offered to pay shipping to and fro and make it right, but I declined. She even remarked to me that it was light and felt really balanced. Did I mention that she knows very little about firearms other than what I have shown her?

Last night I spoke to a friend of mine who does PSD here in country and is currently on R/R. He bought a DD M4 and 6 other AR's over the last few months and this was the first chance he had to shoot them. He told me that he put about 500 rounds through the DD M4 in one session. He remarked that it was very light and handy though looking at the pics you wouldn't think so. He said that it was probably one of the best handling guns out of the batch that he bought one of which was the Magpul/ Noveske carbine.

On a side note the contract he is on issues Colt M4's so he gets quite a bit of trigger time on those.

so Iraqgunz you have a DDM4 right? Are you happy with it, is it up to the expectations and hype? Just wondering how you feel, and for that matter anyone else that actually ownes one.

jp0319
06-11-09, 07:09
Thanks Gunz,
I made this decision site unseen since I am OCONUS too but I have herd a lot of positive talk about the DD weapon my big decision point was that on the books they are really similar in quality but the DD comes with that grat rail, BUIS, VFG, and Magpul stock. All of which I would still have to put on the Colt. Thanks for the input and stay safe overthere