PDA

View Full Version : Twitter, anyone?

pacifico
06-09-09, 22:46
I'm one of those guys who puts off new things until everyone around me is using them. For example: I was the last guy I know of to get a cell phone. I was the last guy I know of to sign up for Facebook. And I just signed up for Twitter, which is apparently what all the cool kids are doing these days. My perception of it has been that it's mostly used by people to discuss the quality of their bowel movements, or what they ate for breakfast, or both.

Imagine my surprise when I searched for some gun terms and found various pro-gun organizations, companies, etc all using it too. The NRA is on it and links to gun news every day - there are a few other people doing the same with strictly gun-related news, and one company (Cactus Tactical) apparently posts on Twitter every time they add a new item to their website. Kinda cool.

Anyone else using it? Check out:

@nranews
@gunrights
@cactustactical
@DPMS (I know, I know)
@BushmasterInc
@RemingtonArms
@CZUSA
@NSSFComm
@USAShooting
@NRAILA
@NRABlog

Just wait until BCM starts twittering when bolt carrier groups are in stock. :p

OldNavyGuy
06-10-09, 09:18
I'm one of those guys who puts off new things until everyone around me is using them.

got a cell phone but use only for emergencies and to keep in contact with my wife when away from her, she does like wise, as for that other "junk" (just my OPINION) i will most likely never use them :D

larry0071
06-10-09, 09:29
I have no use for:
Twitter
Facebook
MySpace
Any other child molester's wet dream websites that have become so popular in the recent years. If I want to talk to you, a forum is about as impersonal and public as I will be.

nichud09
06-10-09, 09:41
i am a proud user of twitter. its such a genius program to reach out to people on. whether that be news, or whatever is on your mind. since i am in a band i use it to reach out to fans, helps keep them entertained when we aren't playing a show for them.

as for the people who have no need for it. then right on!! understandable. i had the same attitude. but when i gave it a chance i ended discovering people i hadnt seen in almost 10 years. my own mother had a facebook before i did!!! the internet rips!!

i hope bravo co. gets a twitter for there BCG's that would be fawkin funny! atleast itll be more reliable than the emails.(for the people who use it). lol

rob_s
06-10-09, 09:42
We are making great use of Twitter to make day-of match announcements and/or weather cancellations when many of our shooters don't have immediate web or email access.

Aside from that I think it's one of the stupidest and most narcissistic things I have ever seen.

jaydoc1
06-10-09, 10:06
While I don't use Twitter to talk to anyone, I do use it to get quick news updates on things I find interesting: gun rights, technology, cars, etc... All the Twitter posters I follow include links to websites, etc... so what comes across on my iPhone notifies me to news on these topics that i can then immediately (or at my leisure) click on on my iPhone and it opens in the browser.

For that sort of use it's indespensible. Have no use for posting myself.

Zhurdan
06-10-09, 10:14
I use Facebook. It started out as a family reunion organizing tool last year and now I've found old friends I haven't talked to in years. Some of which I'm happy to have found, most... not so much. Either way, I check it about every other day or so when I get home from work.

What I can't stand is when you're having a real life, face to face conversation and some A-hole's pocket rings and they, in the MIDDLE of a conversation, start working their phone over! I was talking to an old friend I ran into at Wal-Mart and he started texting as I was talking to him. He asked where I was going. I replied "Catch ya next time, perhaps you won't be so busy." and left. Social interaction should be just that... social, not via a technological device. People can't even spell anymore without doing that stupid OMG, WTF, FTW crap. I use a computer at work all day and have to carry a cell, but outside of that, I don't really care to even look into Twitter. It may have its uses, I just don't have a use for it.

Now, forums on the other hand.... I'll admit, it's an addiction, but I guess that's what you get for sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-10-09, 10:15
Facebook is bad enough. My brother got me to join and I had no idea what I was getting in to. I really have no need to know that a girl I worked with three years ago has a lengthy, large crush on Brett Michaels, or that someone from junior high just picked their kids up from school. I don't know what is sadder, people posting the little, boring minutia of their lives, or people that only post when they are doing something they think makes them better than you. "I'm in China now..."

I just don't care that much about the little crap that goes on in the world. Don't feed the bears, and stop subscribing, or whatever, to Ashton Kutchner's twitter thingy. You are just encouraging them, and they will eventually have to be put down.

rob_s
06-10-09, 10:35
What I can't stand is when you're having a real life, face to face conversation and some A-hole's pocket rings and they, in the MIDDLE of a conversation, start working their phone over!

Rude is still rude, or at least it should be. Just because a person now has 24/7 accessibility doesn't mean that they need to reach for their PDA every time the bell rings. People are like ****ing Pavlov's dogs with that shit.

Although I think the norm has shifted 180 degrees from this. I actually get strange looks from people when I'm having a conversation with them and they hear my phone buzz and I DON'T grab it. Some even say "aren't you going to get that?":rolleyes:

Unrelated, but I also refuse to talk on the phone in the car when the 12 year old is with me and I'm driving. Period. Nothing is more important to me than keeping all of my attention where it needs to be when I'm responsible for his safety. If his mother calls when we are in the car I hand him the phone and he answers. Beyond that, no phone.

Zhurdan
06-10-09, 10:42
Although I think the norm has shifted 180 degrees from this. I actually get strange looks from people when I'm having a conversation with them and they hear my phone buzz and I DON'T grab it. Some even say "aren't you going to get that?":rolleyes:

Hahaha... no kidding. I get that all the time. Last time that happened, I replied with "If it's really that important, there'd be red lights and helicopters. It can wait."

Business_Casual
06-10-09, 12:13
Aside from that I think it's one of the stupidest and most narcissistic things I have ever seen.

Right, that's me off to sign up for Twitter then.

M_P

ToddG
06-10-09, 12:25
I was born before 1985, so I don't think I'm allowed to use Twitter. Thankfully.

shadco
06-10-09, 13:06
I was born before 1985, so I don't think I'm allowed to use Twitter. Thankfully.

In finest internet shorthand

+1

parishioner
06-10-09, 16:20

Honestly. Why do people think we care about what they are doing,eating, thinking, smelling or god knows what else at different periods of the day? Narcissistic is right.

m4fun
06-10-09, 16:29
I would sign up for twitter if it was about updates like...

PRIMERS ARE IN STOCK NOW!

After that, I get like 500 emails a day work wise, and no need for more noise. I miss enough "real" emails.

steve-oh
06-10-09, 19:32
Twitter is going nowhere. They will see a significant decrease in traffic in the next couple years if they don't make some changes.

jaydoc1
06-10-09, 21:29
I would sign up for twitter if it was about updates like...

PRIMERS ARE IN STOCK NOW!

You see that's the sort of thing that Twitter actually is useful for. However what it takes is for someone to view every gun store online and the second he finds something to send out a 'Tweet' saying PRIMERS ARE IN STOCK NOW! You would have to be following that guy on Twitter to get it.