PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable grip Glocks on the way?

John_Wayne777
06-10-09, 08:09
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/06/09/glock-adjustable-grip-models-announced/

Police supplier GT Distributers announced they received word that Glock is introducing adjustable grip model Glock pistols.

GT Distributers reported that they found out earlier today at the National Association of Police Equipment Distributers (NAPED) conference that Glock announced they will bring out the adjustable grip models later this year, or early next year.

At this time, there are no photos of the new Glock models, and I was unable to reach any Glock officials to confirm this information, as I received this after their offices closed.

Glock led the polymer handgun revolution, but has been criticized by some for not remaining innovative with new designs. The Smith and Wesson M&P has gained back some of the ground it lost to Glock years ago with police departments because of features like interchangeable back straps that allow the user to better fit the gun to his or her hand.

At the 2009 SHOT Show, Glock introduced the RTF pistols, which was the standard Glock with a more aggressive texture on the frame for a better grip and a different pattern of serrations on the slide. While some people like the new texture, many more people were hoping for a more interesting announcement from Glock.

An adjustable grip model Glock is certainly is significant announcement from Glock. What is interesting is that it was made at the NAPED convention. While NAPED is a good choice for Glock to reach the law enforcement market, it clearly does not have the same attendance and press coverage that the SHOT Show would have had. Additionally, just a few weeks ago, the National Rifle Association held its annual meeting, which was well covered by the gun press, and attended by many thousands of firearms enthusiasts.

I hope to have more information in the next few days.

Hmmm.....

markm
06-10-09, 08:21
$20 says the grip homo crowd will still not be satisfied.

hatt
06-10-09, 08:22
Glock needs to team up with Magpul and bring out the MIAD edition Glock. That would be hard to beat. Magpul is way ahead of Glock in the texture/not putting finger grooves everywhere departments.:cool:

John_Wayne777
06-10-09, 08:41
$20 says the grip homo crowd will still not be satisfied.

I wouldn't refer to wanting a gun that actually fits as "homo", but that's just me. ;)

Cypselus
06-10-09, 08:48
I wouldn't refer to wanting a gun that actually fits as "homo", but that's just me. ;)
Seriously.

This is good news.

Irish
06-10-09, 08:50
Glad to hear they might finally be incorporating some improvements in the design that would be beneficial to the end user.

markm
06-10-09, 08:53

I hear what you're saying, but you know there's a certain amount of whiners out there who are never happy.

John_Wayne777
06-10-09, 08:59
Without question. Still, when pondering an agency issue weapon the ability to make the gun fit lots of different shooters would be great. Whiny internet bastards will always be themselves and nothing Glock can do will fix it.

Littlelebowski
06-10-09, 09:10
Now throw in ambi controls. I won't ask for decent sights because I don't want to jinx this :D

Wayne Dobbs
06-10-09, 09:37
Long overdue to stay in pace with the market and available technology. As for sights, I would prefer they make it an option to ship the gun slick and just install what we want. It would save a minute or two!

Icculus
06-10-09, 09:54
Sounds like great news for glock lovers and law enforcement agencies that need to fit guns to a variety of user hand types. More options are always better

Of course until glock fixes their screwy grip angle, none of their changes will benefit me or drive me to purchase one :)

ToddG
06-10-09, 11:33
It's more than a little strange that Glock held this announcement until NAPED, if it's true. Like many folks, I'm burning the phone lines trying to get confirmation or denial from Glock Inc.

If it is true, it will be a lot of fun to watch all the Glock kool-aid drinkers who just a few months ago said interchangeable grips aren't necessary because the Glock fits most people perfectly already will now be absolutely ga-ga over the innovative decision by Glock to make the gun more ergonomic for everyone! :rolleyes:

rob_s
06-10-09, 11:49
While I think interchangeable grips are over-rated, I hope that this change (if true) involves also dumping the finger grooves. IMHO a smooth front-strap is way more important than inserts for the back of the grip.

ToddG
06-10-09, 12:49
CONFIRMED.

Unofficial expectation is SHOT Show 2010.

Irish
06-10-09, 12:51
CONFIRMED.

Nice follow up Todd. I'm anxious to see what improvements they make.

Cypselus
06-10-09, 13:14
Sounds like great news for glock lovers and law enforcement agencies that need to fit guns to a variety of user hand types. More options are always better

Of course until glock fixes their screwy grip angle, none of their changes will benefit me or drive me to purchase one :)

A slight de-humping of about .125" from the most prominent part of the back of one of my G19s by Hatfield's has made a big difference in the way it points. Before, when I would point the pistol, the whole of the front sight and a bit of the top of the slide would be visible above the rear sight notch. Now, the front sight is half in the notch when I point the pistol, requiring only the slightest dropping of the muzzle to line it up. I could have it cut down a little more, but think having the front sight slightly high is better than having it too low. The stippling is nice, too. Once I've shaken down my new G19, I'll have the same treatment applied, and Sam will more than make back the discount he gave me on the gun.

DacoRoman
06-10-09, 13:26
Will Glock offer replacement frames (for a fee I'm sure) for those of us that have the Obsolescent Perfection so that we may obtain the Updated Perfection? I like the Glock grip angle just fine and I don't even mind the finger grooves as to me they seem to allow me a better purchase on the grip during rapid fire as opposed to my 2nd Gen grip that seems a bit slippery, but I'd be interested in getting a new frame if they are really the feline's mammary glands. I'm actually very curious to see what they do.

MadcapMagician
06-10-09, 13:28
CONFIRMED.

I've heard the same from inside Glock.

Mark71
06-10-09, 14:19
CONFIRMED.

Thanks for the info Todd! I am really looking forward to seeing what Glock comes out with at Shot Show.

mike240
06-10-09, 15:25
While I think interchangeable grips are over-rated, I hope that this change (if true) involves also dumping the finger grooves. IMHO a smooth front-strap is way more important than inserts for the back of the grip.

I agree. That is why I grind them off when I stipple texture my Glocks

Terry
06-10-09, 15:31
The finger grooves, whole grip actually, on a 17 fit me perfect, the 21 not so much.
The more I read about how people don't like the grips for one reason or another, the luckier I feel.
I hope they make something more people are comfortable using.
Terry.

Saur
06-10-09, 19:16
I like the way the Glock 19 grip feels, I just can't get my stubby thumb to hit the mag release or slide catch as easily as I can on the M&P 9. Even when I do hit the mag release, I really have to jam that sucker in to get it to drop the mag.

trio
06-10-09, 20:44
while very cool, it will have to be FREAKING AWESOME for me to replace my current stable of glocks...of course I spent money customizing the grips to my liking the way it is...

the ONLY way I see me getting a few of these is if crimson trace comes out with a backstrap grip ala the M&P and it HAS A FREAKING ON/OFF SWITCH

of course, SOMEONE AT CRIMSON TRACE COULD JUST LISTEN TO ME NOW!

MAKE GLOCK GRIPS WITH AN ON/OFF SWITCH ALREADY

there, i feel better

.45fmjoe
06-10-09, 21:01
CONFIRMED.

Excellent. That is good news.

Heavy Metal
06-10-09, 21:07
I like the way the Glock 19 grip feels, I just can't get my stubby thumb to hit the mag release or slide catch as easily as I can on the M&P 9. Even when I do hit the mag release, I really have to jam that sucker in to get it to drop the mag.

Well, the first is easily fixed already:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VGMR&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3DVickers%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

xray 99
06-10-09, 21:12
I'm...a....grip homo....and proud of it!

El Mac
06-10-09, 23:44
This is long, loong, looong, loooong over due.

Iraq Ninja
06-11-09, 00:10
Now throw in ambi controls. I won't ask for decent sights because I don't want to jinx this :D

Hmm, how about a front sight that won't break off so easily? Maybe they are trying to win over the point shooting crowd. :)

Frens
06-11-09, 02:51
the real improvement would be putting the good old gen1 or 2 frames back in production (no rail, no finger grooves);
then add a ambi mag release for the leftyes and steel factory sights.

tpd223
06-11-09, 04:38
I often hear folks bitch about the grip angle on the Glocks as being too much or all wrong.
I note that my S&W K frames and my Colt Cobra have grip angles even more pronounced, yet back in the day everyone thought those guns pointed just fine. So much so that guys like Bill Jordan advocated them as being superior to other choices in defensive handguns for fast point shooting (not advocating point shooting, just noting the opinion).

Having used them a bunch, I think the grip angle on the Glocks is just fine. It took me awhile to think so after carrying a 3rd gen S&W 9mm for over 15 yeras, but one has to get their reps in, there is no substitute.

I would be totally against an ambi mag release for the new guns. Glocks ambi release sucks worse than all the other ambi mag releases I have seen before.

I think ambi mag releases are completely unnecessary, but perhaps a reversible mag release might (maybe) be a good idea.

Jay Cunningham
06-11-09, 04:49
while very cool, it will have to be FREAKING AWESOME for me to replace my current stable of glocks...of course I spent money customizing the grips to my liking the way it is...

the ONLY way I see me getting a few of these is if crimson trace comes out with a backstrap grip ala the M&P and it HAS A FREAKING ON/OFF SWITCH

of course, SOMEONE AT CRIMSON TRACE COULD JUST LISTEN TO ME NOW!

MAKE GLOCK GRIPS WITH AN ON/OFF SWITCH ALREADY

there, i feel better

They already did - quit yelling and go look at their website.

M4Fundi
06-11-09, 14:07
I'm in touch with my grippy side...I guess this makes me a grip homo:p

Ian111
06-11-09, 14:44
Nothing to get excited about for those of us who like them just the way they are.

Everyone who didn't like them the way they were....I thought you guys already found the "answer" in the M&P?

Now I hate the new fish scale like serrations on the new slides.

I always liked the finger grooves. Some hate them.

If they change the grip angle you're gonna have a bunch of people who want them changed back to the original grip angle.

Its hard to keep everyone happy. There's always somebody complaining about one thing or another. Everyone seems to have an opinion about a pistol that's widely used/known, even from those who don't have to use it. Other pistols that aren't as common? Not as much OPINIONS about those.

I like the fact Glock has been slow to change relative to other gun companies. They stuck to making their handguns their way to the point of stubborness. If Glock has to make guns based on the whims of consumers or trends what are we left with? Similar pistols. And its not the vision on how the pistol nor the company was created. They were created out of a singular vision. There should be choices. That's all I'm saying.

Business_Casual
06-11-09, 15:47
If you want to change the Glock sights or the finger grooves, I believe you'll have to join the BATFE, rise through the ranks to the top and re-write their import points criteria. Because that is why the parts are as they are.

As for adjustable grips, I always end up using the "M" one anyway, so meh.

M_P

1SFG
06-11-09, 17:21
You're saying BATFE specifies finger grooves? That seems speculative to me at best, and highly doubtful.

If you want to change the Glock sights or the finger grooves, I believe you'll have to join the BATFE, rise through the ranks to the top and re-write their import points criteria. Because that is why the parts are as they are.

As for adjustable grips, I always end up using the "M" one anyway, so meh.

M_P

trio
06-11-09, 19:34
They already did - quit yelling and go look at their website.

i want you to know I am totally convinced they did this just for me and in response to my constant badgering :D:p

now to see when we can get LG-417s into VA Arms...

*mr burns voice* yessss.....exccellllennntt.... *mr burns voice*

Palmguy
06-11-09, 19:41
You're saying BATFE specifies finger grooves? That seems speculative to me at best, and highly doubtful.

Neither speculative nor doubtful.

http://glockfaq.com/models.htm

What is the BATF points system and how does it affect Glocks?
Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores:
Length (7.28") 5
Weight (24.79oz) 25
Caliber (9mm) 10
Locked breech 5
Firing pin block 10
Double action 10
Target sight 10
Target grips 5
Total 80

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:
- all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight
- target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts
- target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)
- due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported

JWNathan
06-12-09, 19:48
involves also dumping the finger grooves. IMHO a smooth front-strap is way more important than inserts for the back of the grip.

I agree, I hate the finger grooves on both of my Glocks. im really curious if its going to be a whole frame redesign, as in different grip angle and such, or is it just the back strap? Either way its good news!
-Jesse

glockem
06-12-09, 21:31
Thanks Palmguy.

I learn something new every day.

kmrtnsn
06-13-09, 00:39
I think that this is a brilliant move by Glock and another nail in the SIG coffin (the P250 is a loser, find a competitive, marketable service pistol soon or it is finis for you). When you are biding to supply 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 units of a service pistol for a department or agency, being able to market that your pistol can be configured to fit the hands of anyone from the largest male to the smallest female (or vice-versa to be politically correct) is a huge selling point that HK and S&W have been quick to capitalize on. From a training and officer safety standpoint, the better someone can hold a weapon the more accurate they are going to be when their heart rate is 200 bpm and their fine motor skills have left town. Good for Glock.

M4arc
06-13-09, 08:26
i want you to know I am totally convinced they did this just for me and in response to my constant badgering :D:p

now to see when we can get LG-417s into VA Arms...

*mr burns voice* yessss.....exccellllennntt.... *mr burns voice*

Hey Trio, if you guys get some in let me know too because I'd be interested in a couple sets as well.

As for the adjustable grips (replacable backstrap/side panels?) I'm all for it and will gladly buy one or three. :D

JonInWA
06-13-09, 09:01
Iraq Ninja, the latest production Glocks now feature a screw-on front sight; that should alleviate the front sight breakage issue.

However, the sight is still polymer, so there may still be the sight blade wear issue from holster insertion and draws, depending on the holster, and whether or not it has an effective sight track-so I'd still replace it with a steel sight.

Best, Jon

matthewdanger
06-13-09, 09:29
When I first transitioned from 1911s to Glocks several years ago I did it for several reasons but the amazing grip and pointability of Glocks was not one of them. Glocks rarely feel "right" to someone right away. However, I have yet to see the person who couldn't train to the grip or train to where Glocks "pointed" well. Eventually you come to appreciate some things about the grip angle and broad backstrap.

Glocks don't fit your hand. Your hand eventually fits Glocks.

I am so used to my Glocks now that I am not sure I will care to try the new adjustable grip ones. They could be a nice choice for someone who is just getting into Glocks but I am not sure I will want/need to sell any of mine to get the new grip.

KingsideRook
06-14-09, 20:19
Eagerly awaiting the first pics - the only thing I actually dislike about a G19 that can't be fixed with a couple drop-in parts (Vickers mag release, Extended slide stop, some decent sights and a Glockworx Fulcrum trigger kit) is the grip angle. I can shoot them fine, but it doesn't fit my hand right at all. I have always loved the feel of grip-reduced Glocks(the "hump" is all that needs to go for my tastes), but I just can't bring myself to send every Glock 19 I buy out for a reduction. I like to keep as many as I can in identical config and be able to do all work in-house, and don't want to rely on a custom shop somewhere else to make guns fit me correctly.

Kyle E. Coyote
06-14-09, 22:53
Now if they could just recontour that damn slide, and maybe use a metal trigger and sights... props, though, they're improving rapidly!

KingsideRook
06-14-09, 23:07
Now if they could just recontour that damn slide, and maybe use a metal trigger and sights... props, though, they're improving rapidly!

Never seen the plastic of the trigger break, but I have to admit I am in love with the feel of the Glockworx Fulcrum kit on my fingertip. Aluminum trigger with no serrations, wide trigger safety that lies flush, feels a lot like a smooth-face Colt Gold Cup trigger (the trigger being the only thing I ever liked about a Gold Cup). Doesn't hurt that it's light and crisp with a short reset, too.

The new Glock factory front sights are metal, which is a step up from the pop-out plastic front sights of not-too-long-ago, but I tend to like the XS 24/7 or 10-8 sights as a replacement anyway, so it's a moot issue for me. Don't expect we'll see any re-contouring, the Glock slide profile is iconic, to change it now would be damaging to their brand recognition.

DacoRoman
06-16-09, 13:58
That fulcrum alum trigger looks like the business, but I distrust the pre and post travel adjusment arrangement durability wise. Is this unfounded? I love the thought of an alum trigger however. What other aftermarket triggers, esp n alum do you guys recommend. Or is there a more robust non adjustable fulcrum style trigger oferred? They do seem like a nice piece I kit.

RAM Engineer
06-16-09, 21:51
As an avid fan/owner/shooter of the Glock 19, I am looking forward to this as long as it is:

1. Durable
2. ACTUALLY ergonomic
3. Doesn't involve adding their crappy ambi-mag release
4. Possible to recreate the Gen 3 grip feel with new grip.