PDA

View Full Version : Do you NEED a piston rifle??

BOSS
06-10-09, 11:00
Greetings,

With all the talk of piston rifles, from LWRC to the new defunct HK416, it begs the question--do you NEED a piston fire?

Yes, I know the pistons advantages of not launching the gases back into the breach area, resulting in cooler operating temps, cleaner operation, etc.

But should all of us with the plain ol' standard AR's run out and sell 'em and 'upgrade' to a piston setup?

Is there any downside, other than cost, to piston? I know the HK had problems.

What say you?

BOSS

Robb Jensen
06-10-09, 11:18
Nope. Not at all.

DRich
06-10-09, 11:27
I previously owned two different piston AR's over a period of 3yrs and ~8k rounds, half of which were fired at three training classes.

While I had no real issues with them, I discovered that they offered no advantages over my DI rifles so I sold them and haven't looked back. I could find no "pro's" and the biggest "con" was the use of proprietary parts which would complicate field repairs if/when that became necessary.

So, I don't NEED a piston AR. YMMV, of course.

rob_s
06-10-09, 11:50
A better question would be "do we NEED another piston thread?"

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32116

carbinero
06-10-09, 12:16
Yeah, I need a side-charging .308 piston AR...for under $2k, O.K.? Lemme at it.

jakjakman
06-10-09, 12:18
I need the Massoud.

Cohibra45
06-10-09, 13:49
Greetings,

With all the talk of piston rifles, from LWRC to the new defunct HK416, it begs the question--do you NEED a piston fire?

Yes, I know the pistons advantages of not launching the gases back into the breach area, resulting in cooler operating temps, cleaner operation, etc.

But should all of us with the plain ol' standard AR's run out and sell 'em and 'upgrade' to a piston setup?

Is there any downside, other than cost, to piston? I know the HK had problems.

What say you?

BOSS

If you are asking this question, then YES!!!!!!!!!!

What a dumb question.........

Absolutely, sell any and all your DI versions of your AR's and rush right out and buy yourself one because you NEED it!!!

larry0071
06-10-09, 13:53
Absolutely, sell any and all your DI versions of your AR's and rush right out and buy yourself one because you NEED it!!!

I want to fix this quote:

Absolutely, sell any and all your DI versions of your AR's for $200 each to Larry0071 and rush right out and buy yourself one because you NEED it!!!

bkb0000
06-10-09, 14:03
the only thing special about the piston system is that it works- when you pull the trigger, the gun goes boom and cycles another round. i seriously think pistons are nothing more than a "because i can" type deal.

if someone could make a spinnygyro system work, people would probably buy those too.. and come up with all kinds of reasons why it's an improvement, to justify it's existance.

SHIVAN
06-10-09, 14:06
the only thing "special" about the piston system is that it works

Not that much unlike all my direct impingement AR's. :)

decodeddiesel
06-10-09, 14:12

This.

bkb0000
06-10-09, 14:18
Not that much unlike all my direct impingement AR's. :)

"special" in that it was an attempt at a radical change that worked- versus ideas that haven't worked. there have been a few lame-assed attempts at "improving" the system over the years, the piston only caught on because it was a change that still allows the gun to function as an autoloading projectile launcher.

EzGoingKev
06-10-09, 14:34

Exactly what I was thinking.

QuickStrike
06-10-09, 14:49

+1.

Even though this is from rob_s... :D

CarlosDJackal
06-10-09, 14:55
It's not a matter of need; it's a matter of WANT. :D

Cohibra45
06-10-09, 16:25
It's not a matter of need; it's a matter of WANT. :D

Bingo!!!

We have a winner!!!;)

jtb0311
06-10-09, 16:33
"special" in that it was an attempt at a radical change that worked- versus ideas that haven't worked. there have been a few lame-assed attempts at "improving" the system over the years, the piston only caught on because it was a change that still allows the gun to function as an autoloading projectile launcher.

What, a radical change since Colt designed a piston AR in the 1960s? Or since the Rhino piston conversion in the 1980s?

jtb0311
06-10-09, 16:34
I have a couple of piston rifles - an M14 and an M1.

Thomas M-4
06-10-09, 16:53
What, a radical change since Colt designed a piston AR in the 1960s? Or since the Rhino piston conversion in the 1980s?

Seems that I read some where that Panamanian Dictator Noriagga's personal body guards had some kind of Piston M-16 back in the day.
Hmm didn't seem to help them out LOL:p