PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at Holocaust Museum in WashDC

ToddG
06-10-09, 13:10
CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/10/museum.shooting/index.html)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gunfire at the entrance of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum wounded at least two people Wednesday, emergency officers said.

A private security guard and another person were wounded, according to officials of the D.C. police and fire department.

Emergency vehicles converged on the scene near the Capitol Mall.

Dave Pearson, a 6th grade teacher in the Washington, D.C., area, said he was on the museum's fourth floor when he heard a loud noise.

"At the time, we're visiting and all of a sudden there's like a boom, and all of a sudden they told us to stop where we're at," he told CNN's Ed Henry.

"Only thing we heard was a boom, and that was it."

A woman who did not give her name said that she understood the shooting happened inside the museum near the security checkpoint at the entrance.

She said she was quickly evacuated.

"We did see yellow tape down the hall when we were being rushed out," she said. "They came in and said we had to leave right away and they got us out.

d90king
06-10-09, 13:22
It appears to be one gunman (with a rifle) who was shot by LEO... 2 injured, the shooter and a guard...

People are crazy these days...

Byron
06-10-09, 13:23
Some more info:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001768.html

A gunman armed with a shotgun walked into the U.S. Holocaust Museum in dowtown Washington today and opened fire on a security guard before being shot and seriously wounded himself by at least one other guard, authorities said.

The security guard and the gunman were both transported to George Washington University Hospital with serious injuries, police said.

Sgt. David Schlosser, a spokesman for the U.S. Park Police, said the security guard and the gunman were apparently the only two persons who were shot. Initial reports said at least one other person sustained gunshot wounds.

U.S. Park Police said a gunman armed with a shotgun opened fire on the security guard and that other security guards returned fire. The gunman was reported wounded.

The shooting was reported to police at 12:52 p.m., and officers rushed to the scene just south of Independence Ave. bordering the Mall.

D.C. Fire Department spokesman Alan Etter said there was no immediate information on the shooter. He said two men were transported to a hospital with "serious" gunshot wounds.

One witness, Dave Unruh, of Wichita, Kan., said he was waiting to enter the museum when he heard one gunshot, then a sequence of four or five gunshots. He said he then heard someone scream, "Hit the floor!" He and his wife, Karen, and their two teenage grandchildren hit the floor and were subsequently herded out of the building by authorities.

Unruh called the experience "intensely, extremely frightening."

By 1 p.m., the street in front of the museum was blocked by a museum police officer. A group of schoolchildren was rushed onto a chartered luxury coach and the bus driver struggled to pull away from the block.

d90king
06-10-09, 13:26
Surprised they didn't call it an "assault shotgun"... I would have thought that a guy walking down the street with a shotgun would have stood out in DC.

d90king
06-10-09, 13:44
The wacko appears to be connected in some way with stormfront based on a simple google search James W Von Brunn...:rolleyes: I am glad they got him with a headshot. What a POS...

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-10-09, 14:21
CNN:
Sources: Shooter is white supremacist

Why are white supremacists never a good arguement for their cause?????

Zhurdan
06-10-09, 14:34
Anyone else think they should not publish the shooters name? I hate that... bury their name with them, don't give them the notariety.

God be with the security guard, I hope he makes a full recovery.

pacifico
06-10-09, 15:09
Apparently the guy had a run-in with the Federal Reserve in 1983, for what it's worth.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2009/06/10/vonbrunn_fed/index.html

Thomas M-4
06-10-09, 15:17
Anyone else think they should not publish the shooters name? I hate that... bury their name with them, don't give them the notariety.

Agree with you 100% it just gives wakos more reasons to do it.

1SFG
06-10-09, 15:38
Apparently the guard paid the ultimate price. I hope this crap pile survives his wound so they can fry his ass to a crisp. Of course it's DC so they'll manage to screw that up.

HiggsBoson
06-10-09, 15:44

I get where you're coming from, but I prefer to see it published to shame him publicly. Even if he personally has very little shame to start with, people should know what kind of a sh*tbag loser it was that did this.

The security guard has now died. My condolences to his family. I have some friends who work as guards for Wakenhut downtown. I really hope it wasn't one of them. The guards in DC generally don't make great pay, but they do it because jobs where you carry a sidearm tend to pay better than others available to them.

FYI, this has created a real mess in traffic, especially around the 13th St. bridge (which is closed) and Arlington/Pentagon City. Independence Ave and 14th street are also closed near the Museum. Find an alternate route. Today is a good day to stay at the office and get some paperwork done to avoid the traffic.

Irish
06-10-09, 15:55
My condolences to the guard's family, may he rest in peace.

Honu
06-10-09, 16:12
sad to hear

my thought is the press will run with anit gun junk again and call him a conservative ? try to say he visited gun sites etc...

I agree bury his name with him !

yet the US terrorist guy who shot the recruiter they bury that and try to make it out as nothing

EzGoingKev
06-11-09, 06:16
I just read the shooter was 88 years old. That's pretty old to be going out on s shooting spree.

Littlelebowski
06-11-09, 06:25
He was using a .22 rifle.

Sudden
06-11-09, 08:05
I just read the shooter was 88 years old. That's pretty old to be going out on s shooting spree.

That's what law enforcement thought. But what's more dangerous than a man with little time left? He probably wanted to make a name in the Ayrain Brotherhood before he checked out. Kind of a AB bucketlist.

Joe Mamma
06-11-09, 15:07
He was using a .22 rifle.

I just heard that too. That's amazing (for lack of a better word).

Joe Mamma

Sudden
06-11-09, 15:15

Joe Mamma

He had a .22 and the guard died. They opened up on him with what, 9mms or
.40s and he survived.

Gutshot John
06-11-09, 15:19

Joe Mamma

Not really I recall reading a study (I think in JEMS) about 10-15 years saying that the highest percentage of lethal GSWs was from the .22LR. The operating assumption was that multiple wound tracts were being created that produced eventual shock.

CAVEAT: This should no be construed to imply superior incapacitation, only higher mortality. Moreover it may have changed in the intervening period.

buzz_knox
06-11-09, 15:31
Not really I recall reading a study (I think in JEMS) about 10-15 years saying that the highest percentage of lethal GSWs was from the .22LR. The operating assumption was that multiple wound tracts were being created that produced eventual shock.

CAVEAT: This should no be construed to imply superior incapacitation, only higher mortality. Moreover it may have changed in the intervening period.

While the .22LR's amazing ability to kill even when it won't incapacitate plays a role in its top ranking, I'd say a far bigger role is due to it being so prevalent a round. People who aren't "gun folk" will often have a .22, and all too many see it as little more than an air gun.

As for the shooter, I believe he'd made some comments about having little time left to make a distance. Too bad he didn't get so excited about his upcoming murder spree that he stroked out at home.

RogerinTPA
06-11-09, 20:53
Apparently, the shooter is a retired Navy Captain.

http://www.military.com/news/article/June-2009/retired-navy-captain-attacks-holocaust-museum.html?col=1186032310810