PDA

View Full Version : Tale of 4 lowers

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 14:33
WARNING: Large Pictures

In recent month I've picked up a few lowers for some builds I'm working on. I will do a picture comparison with my Colt lower from my 6920.

I have:
1. Stag Arms
2. Areo Precision
3. Cavalry Arms
4. Colt lower from my 6920

I won't do a picture comparison with the Cavalry lower as it's apples and oranges, instead I'll just give my experience and thought about the Polymer Lower.

NOTE: the white specs on the Colt lower are only visible in the pictures do to the flash. They cam from someone who was spray painting upwind from where my rifle was. Also the apparent scuff marks on the stag are not as noticeable in real life as in the pics.

Let me say that all the aluminum lowers seem to be in spec and I had no issue installing the LPKs.

Here thy are:

L to R -Colt, Stag, Areo

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4426.jpg
The Cav curently sporting a BCM 16" M4 upper:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4407.jpg

Front view. L to R: Areo, Stag, Colt (camera help upside down)
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4427.jpg

Tool marks are very evedent on the colt, almost none on the Stag the Areo is very smooth.

Inside the trigger guard: Colt, Stag, Areo
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4430.jpg

Stag and Areo are very smooth not so with the Colt

Right Side of receiver":
Colt
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4436.jpg

Stag
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4437.jpg

Areo
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4439.jpg

not much difference . I do like the Pictogram for fire and safe on the Areo, just because it's different.

Top Rear: Colt, Stag, Areo
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4441.jpg

Can't really tell from the photo, but the Colt and Areo fit perfectly around the end plate. The stag protrudes a little around the end plate. Now I don't know if this is due to the Stag lower or the Danial Defense QD end plate it's sporting. The Colt has it's stock end plate and the Areo has a Noveske QD end plate. All future builds will get Noveske's.

Also notice the Aero is a little thicker (re-enforced?) in the are around the rear right side push pin. The Colt is actually connected all the way through in this area.

Top front: Colt, Stag, Areo
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4444.jpg

Notice the area of the front push pins. The Colt is the roughest, the Stage a little Better and the Areo is very Smooth.

Here's a closer look:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4456.jpg

Bottom Magwell area: Colt, Stag, Areo
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4446.jpg

The Colt has the most flared mag well, Stag the second most and the Areo the least.

Finish: Colt, Stag, Areo

This pics will give you an idea, but best when seen in person:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4456.jpg

The Colt and the Areo are very nice, with a slight edge to Colt to my eyes. The Stag is very gry looking is shows scratches easily. they will probably disapear with the application of some oil, still the ugliest to me. The Colt and Areo also match the BCM upper much better than the Stag.

As a side note the CMMG lowers I have seen also have a nice finish as do the Spikes Lowers I've run into. Was considering an CMMG because of this, but the Areo was less expensive ($119 vs 140) so I went with it. Plus I wanted to try something different than what you usually see.

About the Cavalry Arms Lower:

I have a OD green Cavalry Lower I just built into a 16" carbine (BCM Upper). It's about 4 oz. lighter than a standard complete lower, 8 oz. if the standard lower has a rubber but pad (witch the cave has built in).

I couple of notes:
Pros:
1. getting the pins in and out was very easy and smooth.
2. less expensive to build as you don't need a stock and grip (though most kits bring a grip anyway).
3. once put together is a bit lighter than a standard complete lower.
4. Is different and a bit unique.
5. It is the same length as a standard AR with the stock collapsed one notch (how I usually have my stocks anyway).
6. Upper and lower fit is very tight, NO movement at all.
7. Stock has built storage compartment.

Cons:
1. I had to dermal the area around the mag catch as it was a little tight.
2. Mine It would not lock the bolt back until I trimmed a coil or two from the bag catch spring. I guess you could also clean out/deepen the the sprong hole a bit to get it to work.
3. Mine Does not droop free Pmag or aluminum mags. I have taken a file to the mag well as per Cav's instructions and it is getting better but still have not goten it to drop any of my mags yet.
4. The push pins come all the way out and go in from the left side instead of the right, witch I have forgoten a few time as I vust recently built it.
5. Had to drill out the hole for the buffer retainer pin in order to make it large enough for it to fit.

The "cons" are a little inconvenient, but can all be fixed.

Overall, glad I got it. It is something different. I am considering making it into an 18" SPR type rifle as it has such a tight fit and might make a good tack driver setup. But maybe not as the lower may tend to flex more, I'm not really sure. Alternately I may make it a 14.5 SBR for a more light weight rifle setup.

Here she is:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4405.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4402.jpg

NOTE:
I Hope to add two more lowers into the mix in the near future, a BOHICA Arms Billet lower and something else (haven't decided what yet). But this is it for now.

DRich
06-10-09, 14:37
!!!!!! WORK IN PROGRESS!!!!!

In recent month I've picked up a few lowers for some builds I'm working on. I will do a picture comparison with my Colt lower from my 6920.

I have:
1. Stag Arms
2. Areo Precision
3. Cavalry Arms
4. Colt lower from my 6920

Fixed it for you. Not trying to be a jerk and I'm really not a grammar/spelling Nazi, but that one really bugs me. :)

AP really puts a deep rollmark on their lowers. Must have had a fresh set of dies in the press when they rolled that one out!

Icculus
06-10-09, 14:44
Interesting. Looking forward to your comparison.

I'm newer to AR's so forgive if I should already know this but that Cavalry Arms receiver--that's frn or something similar? Craziness. I guess it worked for the semi-auto pistol world but a plastic receiver just seems terribly wrong.

DRich
06-10-09, 14:48
Interesting. Looking forward to your comparison.

I'm newer to AR's so forgive if I should already know this but that Cavalry Arms receiver--that's frn or something similar? Craziness. I guess it worked for the semi-auto pistol world but a plastic receiver just seems terribly wrong.

CavArms has been making those polymer lowers for a decade or so. They are incredibly strong and I abused mine for years with no issues. Great for lightweight builds as long as you don't mind the lack of options when it comes to grips and stock length. Plus, if you were somehow able to break it, they'd replace it for $10.

Icculus
06-10-09, 15:08
CavArms has been making those polymer lowers for a decade or so. They are incredibly strong and I abused mine for years with no issues. Great for lightweight builds as long as you don't mind the lack of options when it comes to grips and stock length. Plus, if you were somehow able to break it, they'd replace it for $10.

Very interesting. Thanks.

EDIT: Just checked out their site. I see what you mean about the stocks and grips. Looks like their cost to replace broken ones has gone up to $30 plus shipping though.

flanntastic
06-10-09, 15:33
i really like the Aero lowers, i may dump off a few of my others for those,

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 16:05
i really like the Aero lowers, i may dump off a few of my others for those,

Yes, I think they are very nice and at an attractive price point. I tittle more flaring of the magwell be be welcomed though.

AP really puts a deep rollmark on their lowers. Must have had a fresh set of dies in the press when they rolled that one out!

Yes, the Areo rollmark is a little mor pronounced than the others, the lighting and reflection from the finish also played a role.

Also I'll fix my Cavalry spelling for you. ;)

PlatoCATM
06-10-09, 16:30
What's wrong with the AP assembly?

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 16:44
What's wrong with the AP assembly?

what?

PlatoCATM
06-10-09, 16:47
castle nut is backwards--unless it's not in its final configuration.

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 16:56
castle nut is backwards--unless it's not in its final configuration.

I see. I just threw it together for pictures. I'll be sure to fix that and stake it. :eek:

Heck I'l do it right now as I have nothing better to do. ;)

FIXED!

PlatoCATM
06-10-09, 17:02
I thought it might have been a backwards bullet kind of thing. Other than that, the three look pretty good, especially the AP IMO. I have a couple of lowers that have the flash or whatever on the radius above the pistol grip, but mine isn't smoothed at all. It doesn't effect function at all, and I often wear gloves in extended sessions, so it doesn't really bother me. Although, I have thought about trying a MOE to cover it.

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 17:18
Yeah, I had forgotten about that as the grip cover it up.

I like the MOE/MAID grips as well as the Ergo grips, the TG Battle grip just don't feel right to me.

PlatoCATM
06-10-09, 18:32
While I haven't used a MOE, I have a MIAD and it's a bit big for my liking. I ended up installing A1 grips on my newer builds b/c it is IMHO the optimal grip. The MIAD might actually be great if I switch out the large backstrap for the flat one.

rob_s
06-10-09, 18:45
I have a little box full of lowers in the safe I've been meaning to do this with as well.

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 20:41
I have a little box full of lowers in the safe I've been meaning to do this with as well.

That would be great!

I wonder what you have in the way of lowers... and how they stack up...

Aside from the BOHICA I have ordered I'd like two more lowers (maybe a Mega and something else)... Well, at least for now. ;)

Aristogeiton
06-24-09, 08:55
This thread has brought up a question I have wanted to ask for a long time.

Notice how the Colt and Areo Precision lowers have less material on the Receiver Extension ring than the Stag lower.

I have looked at a lot of lowers and many look like the Colt and Areo and many look like the Stag…..often from the same manufacturer. I understand that all manufacturers will use different suppliers for their raw lowers and that there should be very little difference in durability between the two types.

My question is, when the M16A1 lowers were “beefed” up for the M16A2, was the original design like the thinner Colt and Areo or thick like the Stag? Maybe both?

I realize this is a pointless question and that both types of lowers are good enough for my uses, so feel free to ignore this post. I just had to ask because I haven’t been able to find any info via searching.

Thanks

RojasTKD
06-24-09, 22:41
I understand that all manufacturers will use different suppliers for their raw lowers

Maybe that the reason right there. But like you say it doesn't really matter. The finish on my Stag is just plain ugly to me. Wish I had another Areo or other lower that has a nicer finish. It dosen't affect function, but if I'm paying good money for it might as well get the one that looks better.

RojasTKD
07-28-09, 22:58
Well, picked up a Mega billet lower and a Spike's Tactical lower. I may add some pics of these when I get a chance, but I will say this they are very nice. The finish on the spike's lower and the Mega lower are about the nicest I have seen.

The Spike's and the Areo Precision lower look an awful lot a like (wink wink).

The BOHICA billet lower is delayed yet again (From June to July... from July to who knows when). I'm hoping to get it in my hands in August or September. I hope it arrives by my birthday in early September.

gunner69
08-07-09, 23:08
AIM, Inc. has the AERO Multi-Caliber Lowers on sale for $99.95, and due to this post, I went ahead and bought one. Rojas, If I get one that looks as good as you have I will definetly be happy. I will probably use one of Bill Springfields 4lb triggers in it, as he has did great work for me in the past. I have been tempted to buy a 6.5 Grendle barreled upper offered by Model 1. Anybody have the Model 1 in 6.5??? Have read several posts to use AA 6.5 uppers only, any comments.:confused: Don't mean to hijack your thread.

RojasTKD
08-07-09, 23:36
AIM, Inc. has the AERO Multi-Caliber Lowers on sale for $99.95, and due to this post, I went ahead and bought one. Rojas, If I get one that looks as good as you have I will definetly be happy. I will probably use one of Bill Springfields 4lb triggers in it, as he has did great work for me in the past. I have been tempted to buy a 6.5 Grendle barreled upper offered by Model 1. Anybody have the Model 1 in 6.5??? Have read several posts to use AA 6.5 uppers only, any comments.:confused: Don't mean to hijack your thread.

The AP is very nice and at AIM's current price it hard to beat. I hope you enjoy it.

I dan;t have any pics of the lower I just got, but my Spike's lower look almost identical to the AP right down to the the same thicker area arount the rear take down pin as seen in this pic (Areo Precision is on the far right):

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/DSCF4441.jpg

I can guess who make Spikes lowers. ;)

I like Spike's roll mark and got it for $100 out the door (actually Lower and complete Stock for $150 OTD) at the Miami gun show, so it was actually a better deal. I got the one with the bullet markings instead of the usual fire safe. I find the AP bullet marking nicer actually, I actually like their roll mark too. Both have a nice finish that match my BCM upper pretty well.

As for 6.5 upper, I plan on a couple down the road. I will go with either AA and/or Saber. Saber make a 6.5 SPR upper I would like to one day add to the collection. The other would be a 10.5" SBR from AA.

I can't say from experience, don't don't believe Model 1 offer the quality of AA or Saber.

gunner69
08-07-09, 23:50
Thanks for the reply, but PhotoBucket removed your foto.:mad: I do like the clean looks of the AERO, as well as the HK style safe/fire pictograms. I have a 6.8 Double Star and 7.62x39 Colt upper to fit on the receiver when finished. Instead of the 5.56 mismatch receiver it will "fit the picture." I have yet to find a mag in 7.62x39 that I can depend on 100% of the time.:(

RojasTKD
08-08-09, 00:00
Thanks for the reply, but PhotoBucket removed your foto.:mad: I do like the clean looks of the AERO, as well as the HK style safe/fire pictograms. I have a 6.8 Double Star and 7.62x39 Colt upper to fit on the receiver when finished. Instead of the 5.56 mismatch receiver it will "fit the picture." I have yet to find a mag in 7.62x39 that I can depend on 100% of the time.:(

That was my fault... I'll fix it.

I
also added to my reply above, in case you missed it.

Fixed, link should work now.