PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

bigshooter
06-10-09, 19:54
I'm in need of some opinions.

I'm in the market for a precision large caliber rifle, and am having second thoughts about my intitial decision.

about 7 years ago I bought a 700 REM .300 RUM Sendero I, It shoots really well, even with off the shelf ammo.

I was going to have some work done to it to make it a real shooter, but lately I have been questioning this.

Barrel life, low mag cap.

I really wanted a 1000+ yard gun that would shoot sub MOA, and although the .300 RUM could definately do that and more, but the barrel life span and mag. capacity issues really bug me now that I have been into AR's for a few years.

My options as I see them:

1. continue on with the initial investment and drop some cash on accurizing the300, deal with only having 4 rounds in the well at a time, and after 1000 rounds rebarrel to .338?.

1/2 MOA Best case scenerio.

2. Order a Larue OSR. cuts my range in half, gain barrel life and mag capacity?.

Larue says they guarantee MOA or less.

either way I'm going to end up dropping $4000.00 +/-

I wish I had the money to buy a nice Barret but $10,000 is just not going to be realistic any time soon.:(

thanks -

Thomas M-4
06-10-09, 20:44
Barret M-99 Lists for $4300 http://www.50bmgstore.com/50bmgcurrentprices.htm
As far as other cartridge choices How much energy do you want to still have at 1000 yards?
It sounds like your looking for a .338 Lapua supermagnum
There are a few off the self rifles http://www.accuracyinternational.com/aw_series.php
another http://www.sako.fi/sakotrgmodels.php?trg42
another http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=30M338&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=3a467b6f-2ac9-4e26-82f0-7914a7ffbb4e

.338 Lapua is also built buy a number of good gunsmiths.

I don't know it just sounds to me that is what you are looking for.
The Sako TRG is reported to have a 2000+ barrel life.

Van Dyke rifles builds a .338 lapua http://www.vandykerifles.com/tactical-supermag-338.htm

bigshooter
06-10-09, 21:33
That Sako looks mighty fine.

*edit* they don't sell replacement barrels in the u.s.?, I'd have to have one made, wtf?.

Face_N_The_Crowd
06-12-09, 01:31
What does "1,000+ yard gun" mean exactly? How far are we talking about?

Do you have a place to shoot to 1k now? Do you routinely shoot to 1k or better now? If not, have you before?

Do you reload? If not how important is the ammo cost?

Do you have to shoot a .30 cal? If not look at some of the 6mm offerings - some shoot like a .300WinMag but recoil more like a .308, much cheaper to feed than a WinMag.

You do know you can use the action that you already own to have a caliber other than .300 RUM built - right? Check out calibers with common bolt face sizes to what you already have if you are interested.

What kind of barrel life are you anticipating getting from this blaster? The better the barrel quality the greater the chance that you will get extended barrel life out of it.

I myself like .300 WinMag and with a good bullet like a 210 VLD Berger, you can punch paper out to 1,600. I am *hoping* to get 3,500 - 4k rounds out of the barrel (Rock) as based on other .300WM Rock user's experiences. I also have a Rock on a .308 (with @ 4,300 rounds now and hoping to get @10k) I shoot this out to 1k and I am reluctant to drag out the WM unless it is at least 800 (whats the point? Although it is easier in the wind).

If it was me (and it ain't) I'd pick a caliber that was compatible with the bolt face I already had, find a stock and a barrel blank I liked, some Badger Ordinance Bottom Metal and a good smith to build a tack driver. A bunch of components and find a good load for that baby and shoot the barrel out a time or two.

Good luck

bigshooter
06-12-09, 23:43
What does "1,000+ yard gun" mean exactly? How far are we talking about? enough ft lbs to close the deal at 1000+ yards

Do you have a place to shoot to 1k now? no, 600 Do you routinely shoot to 1k or better now? no If not, have you before? no, just trying to get a decent gun together so I can give it an honest try.

Do you reload? yes

If not how important is the ammo cost? available components are of more concern to me

Do you have to shoot a .30 cal? If not look at some of the 6mm offerings - some shoot like a .300WinMag but recoil more like a .308, much cheaper to feed than a WinMag.

You do know you can use the action that you already own to have a caliber other than .300 RUM built - right? yes

Check out calibers with common bolt face sizes to what you already have if you are interested.

What kind of barrel life are you anticipating getting from this blaster? The better the barrel quality the greater the chance that you will get extended barrel life out of it.

I myself like .300 WinMag and with a good bullet like a 210 VLD Berger, you can punch paper out to 1,600. I am *hoping* to get 3,500 - 4k rounds out of the barrel (Rock) as based on other .300WM Rock user's experiences. I also have a Rock on a .308 (with @ 4,300 rounds now and hoping to get @10k) I shoot this out to 1k and I am reluctant to drag out the WM unless it is at least 800 (whats the point? Although it is easier in the wind).

If it was me (and it ain't) I'd pick a caliber that was compatible with the bolt face I already had, find a stock and a barrel blank I liked, some Badger Ordinance Bottom Metal and a good smith to build a tack driver. A bunch of components and find a good load for that baby and shoot the barrel out a time or two.

Good luck

after more consideration I think I am just going to have the action trued on mine and just shoot it, when I rebarrel I might go to .338 RUM.