PDA

View Full Version : PMAGS now for sale at my BX!!!!!!

bjw182005
06-10-09, 22:33
Went to the BX today for some "around the house" items, and walked back to te gun counter and what did i see.... An entire wall of every possible PMAG available. Best thing was they were selling for $15 each. Oh, and no tax up here in AK!!! Nice!!!! Also had a nice LWRC M6A2 for $1950. I think i may have to bite the bullet and let the wife yell at me for adding one more to the safe.

mattk
06-10-09, 23:22
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is BX?

bkb0000
06-10-09, 23:27
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is BX?

base exchange? fricken airforce guys.

;)

mattk
06-10-09, 23:39
Ah, thanks. Not in the military. So the question wasn't as dumb as it coulda been:p

bkb0000
06-10-09, 23:47
"fricken airforce guys" was in reference to the "base" part. in the Army, it's a "PX," because the Army has posts, forts, and forward operating bases, but not "bases." that's airforce and navy- and since he's in alaska, i assumed airforce.

nothin on you, partner.

bjw182005
06-10-09, 23:54
Yep. AF is correct. Since we're joint "based" with Ft. Richardson, they call it a BX/PX. They can't make up their minds what it is.

mattk
06-10-09, 23:57
"fricken airforce guys" was in reference to the "base" part. in the Army, it's a "PX," because the Army has posts, forts, and forward operating bases, but not "bases." that's airforce and navy- and since he's in alaska, i assumed airforce.

nothin on you, partner.

It's all good.I didn't think that was directed at me. I'm just bad with the acronyms sometimes, and was saying I didn't feel as dumb as usual because I'm not in the military. Thanks for clearing that up though.:D

Rated21R
06-11-09, 02:00
dang, wish my BX carried that kind of stuff. must be nice.

bjw182005
06-11-09, 12:48
Im glad they have started carrying some decent gear up here now. Im going to miss Alaska. Its nice to be able to just walk into the local BX/PX and buy your guns and gear there with no sales tax, no waiting period and just about all the items you need in one place. They've even started carrying Harris bipods and all kinds of new scopes and optics.

ST911
06-11-09, 13:42
Nevermind.

Smuckatelli
06-11-09, 15:26

nothin on you, partner.

Things have change a little since you were in;)

The Army & Air Force share the same exchange system AAFES, PX and BX can be found on both services bases. It really depends on the size. Navy and Marines fall under the NEX. The larger Marine bases have MCX but ultimately I think AAFES has borg'd the NEX/MCX because the Star card falls under AAFES.

I stopped by the MCX on Quantico yesterday, they also had PMAGs, a couple bullpup ARs, 2 AR-15, an SVD, and a Thompson sub-machinegun......

13F3OL7
06-11-09, 17:11
dang, wish my BX carried that kind of stuff. must be nice.

If you think that's something you should have seen the gold plated Desert Eagle they had in there a few years back.

As far as the OP, makes me wonder if the PX up at Wainwright has them now. Might have to check when I get home.

RogerinTPA
06-11-09, 17:17
Excellent. Let's hope they become available at all bases and post world wide to get quality mags in the hands of the war fighters.

TRD
06-11-09, 17:27
I thought that personally owned firearms were not allowed on military bases, much less sold on military bases (to include magazines).

I guess I must be wrong here?

Patrick Henry
06-11-09, 17:28
... they also had ...a couple bullpup ARs...

What bullpup ARs?

13F3OL7
06-11-09, 17:39
I thought that personally owned firearms were not allowed on military bases, much less sold on military bases (to include magazines).

Personally owned weapons are allowed on base, but they must be kept in an unloaded condition and registered with the provost marshal's office. Also, dependent on whether the owner lives in barracks or on post housing they may have to be kept in the individual's unit arms room. Of course if you happen to live off post none of that really applies except having it registered on post if you are transporting it for use at a designated area or event, like the skeet range or hunting in one of the recreational areas.

Can't really speak for other posts but the PX/BX on Wainwright and Richardson/Elmendorf do sell firearms, ammo, and magazines.

bjw182005
06-11-09, 17:52
Personally owned weapons are allowed on base, but they must be kept in an unloaded condition and registered with the provost marshal's office. Also, dependent on whether the owner lives in barracks or on post housing they may have to be kept in the individual's unit arms room. Of course if you happen to live off post none of that really applies except having it registered on post if you are transporting it for use at a designated area or event, like the skeet range or hunting in one of the recreational areas.

Can't really speak for other posts but the PX/BX on Wainwright and Richardson/Elmendorf do sell firearms, ammo, and magazines.

Pretty much dead on right here. Privately owned firearms are authorized on base/post and if you reside in housing weapons may be kept in an unloaded state provided they are registered with the base police/ provost marshall. If you reside in government quarters(ie. TLF, Dorms, etc...) weapons must be stored at the SF/MP armory and "checked out" for a maximum of 3 days at a time for sporting events/ range time, etc.

It is nice to be able to walk into the BX/PX and purchase everything in one place with no tax, and slightly lower prices. On most things anyway....

Smuckatelli
06-11-09, 18:00

Quantico MCX is an actual FFL:

MCX Will Receive Personal Firearms
Those of you who are or may be purchasing a firearm and who will need an FFL holder to receive the gun should be aware that the MCX (Marine Corps PX) on base will receive firearms for you, with the following conditions: 1. You must be eligible to use the PX. 2. You must appear at the PX gun counter, complete requisite paperwork and show proper id. 3. You must pay a $15 processing fee and a $2 NAC fee. 4. The gun should be picked up within a reasonable amount of time after receipt. 5. There are certain restrictions on gun specifications that may be received.
Contact: Sam Work, Phone: 703.626.8490, Email: swork2@comcast.net
Posted: 18 May 09

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/qsc.php?view=news&nid=192

Iraqgunz
06-11-09, 18:23
Do they have to be unloaded? When I was stationed at Benning the only mention of them being unloaded was entering or leaving the installation. My pistol and shotgun were always loaded.

Smuckatelli
06-11-09, 19:12
Do they have to be unloaded? When I was stationed at Benning the only mention of them being unloaded was entering or leaving the installation. My pistol and shotgun were always loaded.

Quantico specific; you can't have loaded magazines when transporting a weapon on base for shooting at the range.

bjw182005
06-11-09, 19:23
Here, on Elmendorf, magazines may be loaded, but they must be stored seperately from the firearm during transportation. Firearms also must be carried secured in a case or holster out of the immediate reach of the driver(ie. the trunk). The vast majority of people here carry off base considering in Alaska there is no requirement of a license for CCW. If you are of legal age, and may legally own a handgun, that handgun may legally be carried concealed with no permit. That makes many of the traffic stops done up this way a little more interesting than your average. The contract guards at our gates don't always check the people they are letting on quite as well as they should sometimes. We end up stopping a fair amount of people that have no business being on a military installation, especially carrying a weapon.

13F3OL7
06-11-09, 19:28

At Wainwright, yes they do have to be unloaded, but you can have the magazines loaded as long as they are kept in a seperate location from the firearm.

13F3OL7
06-11-09, 19:32
The contract guards at our gates don't always check the people they are letting on quite as well as they should sometimes. We end up stopping a fair amount of people that have no business being on a military installation, especially carrying a weapon.

Up north at Wainwright they barely even look at your ID card. That doesn't even take into account the majority of them barely know how to operate their firearms and can't even hit the broadside of a barn from what I've heard. Gotta love the privitization of on post/base security.

bjw182005
06-11-09, 19:37
Yeah, i know i love it. I know some of them are prior service LE, but for the most part, WORTHLESS! Got to love gaterunners where we can't even get a good vehicle description. It's always nice to not know who you're looking for and how serious the offense. I almost hope we go back to manning the gates ourselves. At least then we will have some kind of immediate LE response rather than having to respond to the gates for the smallest incidents that a rookie could handle on their own.

kry226
06-11-09, 19:48

Those of you who are or may be purchasing a firearm and who will need an FFL holder to receive the gun should be aware that the MCX (Marine Corps PX) on base will receive firearms for you, with the following conditions: 1. You must be eligible to use the PX. 2. You must appear at the PX gun counter, complete requisite paperwork and show proper id. 3. You must pay a $15 processing fee and a $2 NAC fee. 4. The gun should be picked up within a reasonable amount of time after receipt. 5. There are certain restrictions on gun specifications that may be received.

I've bought several firearms from them over the years.

CarlosDJackal
06-11-09, 23:36
Yep. AF is correct. Since we're joint "based" with Ft. Richardson, they call it a BX/PX. They can't make up their minds what it is.

Isn't the correct term, "AAFES". :p

TRD
06-12-09, 13:40

Thanks to those who responded to my question!

kry226
06-30-09, 13:32
Since it's only a couple of weeks old, I am resurrecting this thread to recommend to everyone near military bases to start looking for PMAGs and other gear at or near their exchange. I just discovered a Brigade Quartermasters TFX (Tactical Field Exchange) as they call it here right next to our military clothing sales store. I'm stuck at Fort Gordon, GA right now, and it's by no means a "high-speed" place, but the BQM TFX was stocking non-windowed PMAGs in FDE and black, padded BFG VCAS, actual magpuls, ranger plates, front sight tools, a few Surefire hand held lights, Tapco :rolleyes: rear BUIS made by MI and several different sling attachment options. I was pleasantly surprised at the selection, but did see lots of Tapco and CAA stuff too.

Just a head's up... FYSA.

I think I am going back for the padded Blue Force Vickers sling. Had a pretty good deal going. :D