PDA

View Full Version : Put together 2 lowers, first time doing it.

larry0071
06-11-09, 09:19
Last night my Bro-In-Law was over and he noticed my 2 CDD stripped lowers and DPMS lower parts kits are still setting on top of the fridge..... from about 3 months back when he first saw them appear.

So he was over last night to enjoy home-made sketties with my wife and I as well our children...and one thing led to another and soon after dinner we had 2 towels laid on the table and two sets of lowers/LPK's on the towels and a laptop between us.

About 20 min later it was over. Now I have new decorations for in the living room, right on the mantle beside my late G-Parents photos. I find them to be very pleasing, do you not agree? My wife is not real happy with the new gifts I placed up on the mantle, women just do not understand.

So, now I suppose I will feel driven to start buying the rest of the parts to turn these into something worthy of a home in the safe.

Charles Daly Defense stripped lowers loaded with DPMS lower parts kits.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/AR-15%20Rifles/100_0319.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/AR-15%20Rifles/100_0320.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/AR-15%20Rifles/100_0315.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/AR-15%20Rifles/100_0313.jpg

Saginaw79
06-11-09, 09:22
Niiice!

larry0071
06-11-09, 09:36
The only thing I did that was "wronge" that I am aware of, is I used my Snap-On steel pin punch set to drive the split pins in. This means that they are slightly deformed on the edge and the black finish is worn.

Ofc.JL
06-11-09, 12:41
Larry, Get a new, black Sanford "Sharpy" and stick the tip in the pin holes and twist. Presto! As my father who was an Engineer used to say, "hids the sin".
It's basically paint and you can use that to hide the bare metal. If the pins went in correctly(and I can't see that they didn't) and are tight and functioning correctly(i.e., nothing binding), paint and forget it. Welcome to the builders club. And of course you realize that this IS a disease and is almost impossible to recover from. lol... Have fun, enjoy.
Ofc.JL:D

larry0071
06-11-09, 12:59
I was just looking at the Botach website, I talked to my pal that is a SeaBee and he suggested the V-Tac 2 point from BlackHawk, what he used in Faluja and he said once you spend a few min getting the hang of it, the V-Tac is a really nice and versatile system and not expensive. He did 2 6 month trips to Faluja and said that his BlackHawk sling never gave trouble. $30 for the padded version, he has the non padded version but did mention that some of his crew were running the BlackHawk V-Tac padded version and he felt that the padded version would be the better choice. There is a $5 upgrade to the padded version, so that is no big deal.

Should I buy a single point sling style end plate for these while they are going together? I was thinking about doing that, just because it leaves the single point option available if I decide to try that out.

Anyone see a good reason why I should look at another sling option besides what was recomended?

Also, I want to do the furnature in olive drab green. I live in the Western PA hills, and we have thick/lush green growth. OD will make the rifle's disappear for about 6 months of the year, and the winter half would require some sort of an earthy brown or tan. I may do one in the green and one in the tan. I could always Duracoat them as part of my build experiance, but as my rifles see a lot of time being dragged around.... I fear a paint system may wear/peel at an accelerated rate.

I see stocks starting at $49 for complete M4 style stock with buffer tube and buffer to $200+ for just a stock. I am totally in the air on this part. I do know I want to minimize overspending and I also admit that I wish to be able to store the CR123 batteries in some part. There are options because you can stocks with storage as well as pistol grips and vert handles.

I'm not thinking too far ahead yet, I want to make the lowers complete before I start to fret over the upper half on them. One thing I plan is the 14.5" barrels with perma-mount flash surpressors. I see quad rails in my future, but this is going to have to take a back seat to summer expenses going towards our 3 children, not to mention that the company I work for just lowered our pay, increases the cost of health benefits, and stopped doing the 401K match. This may take a year to finish these two into actual rifles.

Ofc.JL
06-11-09, 13:05
And, Oh Yeah! As new mantle pieces, I Love 'em.:p

LMTRocks
06-11-09, 13:17
$200 for a battery storage type stock? Sounds like a LMT SOPMOD Crane stock. Uber-comfortable. The ergo pistol grip will hold two 123As, and most VFGs will hold two 123s. Every AR I build from here will have a sopmod even though I'll pay more, it's super comfy---you could almost take a nap on that thing :) Nice Builds!

Ofc.JL
06-11-09, 15:17
Larry, Any stock kits you buy under around $80.00 or lower will almost always be of questionable manufacture(Chinese!). While most work, the quality control is so bad that if you are building a SHTF weapon, and have to really use it hard, it may fail when you need it most. In the AR builders world, "Caveat Emptor"! Buy your parts from G&R Tactical or Bravo Company Usa. These 2 companies know there stuff when it comes to AR's, bar none.
And, oh yes I agree, a 14.7" barrel with a perm A2 flash hider so closely mimics a regular M4 that it's scary easy to swing. You would not think that a regular 16" carbine barrel would be hard to swing, but compared to a 14.7", it's a turd. I have a CMMG 14.7" perm 1:7 twist and it's a tack driver. Highly recommended. Some folks have had trouble with CMMG, but I haven't. Anyway, buy a quality barrel from good people(see G&R and Bravo above).
Blackhawk sling is good, also Vickers Blue Force is too. Single points work, but a person can have a problem with control and getting out of the damn thing if you need to in a rush. 2 point is the standard, it seems. And remember, it's only money, you can't take it with you, so spend it and do it right. That will cause you less grief in the future as you learn the AR.:D
Ofc.JL

Icculus
06-11-09, 15:34
Congrats on completing your lowers. They look great on the mantle
Only 1 real question: What the hell are "sketties":confused::D

larry0071
06-11-09, 15:49
Congrats on completing your lowers. They look great on the mantle
Only 1 real question: What the hell are "sketties":confused::D

It's what my 3 year old boy calls Spaghetti.... my wife makes the meanest home made meat suace for thousands of miles around.... this I am sure of. She also makes Hot Sausage that is to die for! And her ribs....OMG! She also does this chicken thing with rice made with creame of chicken soup..... You know, I was 150 lbs when I married her..... it's her fault I'm pushing 190 now! 15 years and 40 lbs later... we are still together.

Did I mention the home made Cherry pie with bing cherries from the farm market! Peach cobler! Pork Chops cooked on a pot of baked beans, the way she mods the juice from the beans....... man, my mouth is watering just imagining it!

Yea, she can cook better than most of you all can shoot! She is THAT good!

be1498
06-11-09, 21:58
Yea, she can cook better than most of you all can shoot! She is THAT good!

Sounds like a keeper! I have one, too, and she's responsible for the extra 55 lbs I used to carry around.

I knew what "sketties" are...I have a LEO son who used to call it that!

Good looking lowers, BTW...good job!

dcs12345
06-11-09, 22:09
You can get Rock River stock kits from Pete at Legal Transfers for 69.00 delivered. These aren't milspec, but they are decent and if you are looking to get a stock for a little cheaper it would be hard to beat.

MachinegunT
06-12-09, 00:39
Looks good! You can get a mil spec buffer tube, and stock kit from Bravo Company for $89.00!