PDA

View Full Version : Back-Up Iron Sight article

gunwriter
06-11-09, 10:22
Here's an article I wrote on back-up iron sights from four different manufacturers:

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=558&Itemid=1

check it out and share comments/ask questions

Frens
06-11-09, 12:24
thanks for sharing,

the Kiser Munitions' one is new to me but seems interesting

ra2bach
06-11-09, 12:25
Hi David, nice article...

what was the point of your comment that MI sight was "Very similar (perhaps too similar) to GG&G's A2-style BUIS"?

gunwriter
06-11-09, 12:35
Hi David, nice article...

what was the point of your comment that MI sight was "Very similar (perhaps too similar) to GG&G's A2-style BUIS"?

the two sights look almost identical, to the point where I photographed them from different angles so I wouldn't confuse the pictures.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-11-09, 12:39
the two sights look almost identical, to the point where I photographed them from different angles so I wouldn't confuse the pictures.

Very true. I had an MI and a GG&G A2 sight at the same time, and they look identical. I will say though, that as I recall (I don't own them anymore) the MI deployed much faster and smoother, but the GG&G locked up more solidly. Both are good sights.

As for the article, any reason why the Troy sights were not included? Of course its hard to write about EVERY buis out there, but I've always thought that the Troy were quite common. Cool article, maybe you can do a second installment with more sights, fixed vs. folders, etc?

gunwriter
06-11-09, 12:53
Very true. I had an MI and a GG&G A2 sight at the same time, and they look identical. I will say though, that as I recall (I don't own them anymore) the MI deployed much faster and smoother, but the GG&G locked up more solidly. Both are good sights.

As for the article, any reason why the Troy sights were not included? Of course its hard to write about EVERY buis out there, but I've always thought that the Troy were quite common. Cool article, maybe you can do a second installment with more sights, fixed vs. folders, etc?

I've written about the LaRue, Troy, KAC and others in the past and so didn't include them. From the feedback I'm getting, I need to do another couple articles.

One on fixed and another much larger one on folding BUIS.

appreciate the feedback.

Mr. Happy
06-19-09, 16:39
Would you consider these to be your favorites? If not, perhaps the other sights can be examined here.

gunwriter
06-19-09, 16:50
I like fixed BUIS on a carbine with a red dot.
Currently my favorite remains the LaRue and I do like the Kiser quite a bit.
However there are a number of new fixed sights coming out from DD, Midwest Industries, Troy.....so I am trying to get my hands on those.

What do I like about the LaRue?
Simple, rugged, no large knobs and it attaches via a throw-lever. So there is no cross-bolt to loosen up from recoil. Plus, if I want to switch to a magnified optic it pops right off, yet returns to zero.

On a DMR rifle I like the KAC 600 meter rear sight. It folds neatly out of the way yet allows me to shoot at a variety of ranges. I have a 600 yard range, and enjoy shooting irons and this sight works well, but is expensive and hard to find. I have one mounted on a 19.5 inch 6.5mm Grendel GDMR and I like it for that application.

For a folding BUIS on a carbine I like both Troy and Midwest Industries low profile (in the article). These both work well and are simple and easy to use.

But the sheer number of BUISs available is enough to make you cross your eyes.
The most important thing is to find what meets your needs.

CarlosDJackal
06-20-09, 00:18
Thanks for sharing the article. I find the Kiser unit very intriguing. Although, it looks like it may have the propensity to snag on things. Does it?

Ulysses74
06-21-09, 12:02
Nice article! I always look forward to reading them in my favorite publications. I was looking at the GG&G A2, but the windage knob concerned me. I'm glad I didn't choose that model now.

Mr. Happy
06-21-09, 13:45
So, please let a newbie throw a bit of a curve ball in here: Do BUIS choices depend on optics choices? Specifically for me (an example) - Aimpoint Micro on a 6920 - would one be better than another in the "stack?"