PDA

View Full Version : S&W Recalls M&P40's From Atlanta PD - Anyone Have Details?

Powder_Burn
06-11-09, 13:10
I just read on the MP forum that S&W has issued a recall on all 1,600 M&P40's sold to Atlanta PD due to "issues with the trigger mechanism". Anyone have firsthand intel on this to share? Specifically, is this apolitical in nature and if so, how broad is the scope of the problem (i.e. single agency, serial number range, production date, etc.). Also would like to know if the alleged issue is limited to only the M&P40.

Story with Video Report:
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/Atlanta_Police_Guns_Recalled_by_Maker_060909

jtb0311
06-12-09, 23:17
I read a similar tale from Vegas.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156529

NCPatrolAR
06-12-09, 23:40
I've yet to hear what the real issue is with the Atlanta guns. The LASO gun issue has pretty much been resolved from what I've seen. The barrel failure was caused by deputy "self-improvement" and the failures are being traced back to the training ammo used (Winclean IIRC).

We have been running about 1300 M&Ps here with no issue.

VooDoo6Actual
06-13-09, 10:48
LoL ta da...

Tokarev
06-14-09, 11:56
It was a pin in the trigger that was backing out, no performance problem.

dookie1481
06-14-09, 12:32
I read a similar tale from Vegas.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156529

Vegas?

Jay

Razorhunter
06-14-09, 12:37
I've yet to hear what the real issue is with the Atlanta guns. The LASO gun issue has pretty much been resolved from what I've seen. The barrel failure was caused by deputy "self-improvement" and the failures are being traced back to the training ammo used (Winclean IIRC).

We have been running about 1300 M&Ps here with no issue.

NC,
What exactly does "deputy self-improvement" mean? What did these guys do to their M&P's?
I too would like to know if this could have any affect on other calibers such as M&P45's/etc???

Finally, which "pin" was backing out Tokarev????

John_Wayne777
06-14-09, 18:38
From the description he gave it sounds like the pin that the trigger safety hinges on was backing out. The M&P trigger is 2 piece, with the bottom of the trigger hinging when direct pressure is applied. It is S&W's way of accomplishing what Glock accomplishes with the button in their trigger that stops rearward movement of the trigger.

As for the self-improvement issue, IIRC somebody took a dremel to their chamber.

Razorhunter
06-14-09, 19:19
Yes, I was thinking that had to be it JW,
I just got back home to my new M&P45, and I noticed it too. I pushed on mine, and it seems tight as a drum.
Hopefully this is an isolated issue..

citadelshooter
06-14-09, 21:30
Interesting. I was downtown last night and every APD officer that I saw had their M&P .40 on them. Maybe they are doing a return/replace with a new gun deal. Who knows.

John_Wayne777
06-14-09, 21:54
Interesting. I was downtown last night and every APD officer that I saw had their M&P .40 on them. Maybe they are doing a return/replace with a new gun deal. Who knows.

It's a retrofit program, IIRC. The S&W reps are on scene replacing the affected parts.

Tokarev
06-15-09, 13:26
Yes, I was thinking that had to be it JW,
I just got back home to my new M&P45, and I noticed it too. I pushed on mine, and it seems tight as a drum.
Hopefully this is an isolated issue..

I've heard two things, actually.

One is the center trigger pin backing out. The other is that APD has had a couple negligent discharges so they're getting the guns fitted with a "+P" trigger spring.

Razorhunter
06-15-09, 16:58
Someone educate me on what a "+P trigger spring" is, and what it does to the trigger pull?
I assume it just means a stronger trigger spring, but are they sold in "lb increments", and what does this do to the trigger pull? Make it heavier I assume?
Couldn't imagine needing a heavier trigger pull just to prevent accidental discharges, but hey, I've never owned a Glock or any other polymer/striker fired, so I don't know what others are using in their guns (Glock/etc), as compared to what S&W is currently using for their spring.... ???

Iraqgunz
06-15-09, 17:09
It's called trying to fix a training issue with a mechanical device a la NYPD and the NY triggers.

Someone educate me on what a "+P trigger spring" is, and what it does to the trigger pull?
I assume it just means a stronger trigger spring, but are they sold in "lb increments", and what does this do to the trigger pull? Make it heavier I assume?
Couldn't imagine needing a heavier trigger pull just to prevent accidental discharges, but hey, I've never owned a Glock or any other polymer/striker fired, so I don't know what others are using in their guns (Glock/etc), as compared to what S&W is currently using for their spring.... ???

ToddG
06-15-09, 22:49

Presumably, they'll use the "Massachusetts" trigger bar and trigger spring. It was developed because MA has a law requiring most handguns to have a trigger pull of at least 10 pounds.

If my memory is correct, APD was issued a DA/SA Smith prior to the M&P40. It's not at all surprising that some LCD types are having ADs with their ~6# triggers compared to the ~10# first shot they're used to.

parishioner
06-15-09, 23:48
So all the officers who are competent will have to have a heavier trigger because a couple people were negligent?

Beat Trash
06-16-09, 16:04
So all the officers who are competent will have to have a heavier trigger because a couple people were negligent?

Yep... Welcome to the wonderful world of Civil Service...

ST911
06-16-09, 16:29

Yep... Welcome to the wonderful world of Civil Service...

Much quicker and easier than additional training, administering definitive discipline, and potentially defending a grievance/labor complaint.

citadelshooter
06-16-09, 19:50
Much quicker and easier than additional training, administering definitive discipline, and potentially defending a grievance/labor complaint.

It is City of Atlanta PD. They (and Fulton County) are already having issues with small cities incorporating therefore loosing tax base which means less training (which is not good anyway).

Also, it's City of Atlanta. Enough said.

Sam
06-16-09, 20:17
If my memory is correct, APD was issued a DA/SA Smith prior to the M&P40. It's not at all surprising that some LCD types are having ADs with their ~6# triggers compared to the ~10# first shot they're used to.

You're correct sir, APD carried the 59 or whatever the four digits equivalent.

I don't know anybody with APD, but next time I'm in the city limit and run into an officer I'll ask what the story is.

Powder_Burn
06-16-09, 22:07
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a combo of ND's and a few trigger pins walking.....hopefully nothing more.

HeadHunter
07-09-09, 22:00
There were no ND's that precipitated the recall. Actually, "recall" is the term used in the news release, not by APD nor S&W. The Press Release did not come from APD nor S&W but rather from a competitor who learned of the situation.

Of the 1600 guns originally purchased, eventually about 30 had a small amount of walk in the trigger pin. It was easily rectified without replacement but S&W elected to retrofit all APD's guns with replacement trigger bars, as a precaution. It is the same trigger bar as being replaced, just from a different lot. There is no change in design because there were no failures to function at any time.

The rumor that +p trigger springs will be fitted is just that, a rumor.

I have the above information from a primary source, who is extremely familiar with the whole issue. APD remains very satisfied with their M&Ps.

John_Wayne777
07-09-09, 22:31
Thanks for the info, Headhunter....it's so nice being able to hear from reliable sources.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-09-09, 23:44
Sounds like your typical new design growing pains. I remember a huge "it ain't a recall" that Glock did in the early 90s.

QuietShootr
07-10-09, 00:46
Presumably, they'll use the "Massachusetts" trigger bar and trigger spring. It was developed because MA has a law requiring most handguns to have a trigger pull of at least 10 pounds.

What the ****?