PDA

View Full Version : FSB removal...pain

redyak3
06-11-09, 14:41
Waiting on funds to complete my build.
Decided to switch out my BM A2 upper with a flat top from BCM(too much time on my hands). Taking the steel punch to the taper pins, they are @#@$%$ on there!
Any trick to getting off stubborn pins, or do I just keep pounding and hope for the best?
Thanks

markm
06-11-09, 14:45
Are you drifting them the right direction? (Just asking)

ohiorifleman
06-11-09, 14:50
Are you removing the FSB just to do an upper swap- if so stop- If there is no rail involved this isn't necessary- just punch out the gas tube roll pin, remove the gas tube, and spin off the nut- all using proper tools of course.

redyak3
06-11-09, 14:52
Going left to right, the left side of the pin appears to be smaller than the right side.
left: .130
right .150

Robb Jensen
06-11-09, 14:52
Search for "taper pin starter" on the Brownells website.

redyak3
06-11-09, 15:25
Search for "taper pin starter" on the Brownells website.

Are you removing the FSB just to do an upper swap- if so stop- If there is no rail involved this isn't necessary- just punch out the gas tube roll pin, remove the gas tube, and spin off the nut- all using proper tools of course.

Thanks...
No rail switch, drop-in MI rifle length, just removing the tube makes a lot of sense.

pacifico
06-11-09, 15:36
Brownells also sells this handy bench block for driving FSB pins:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20727&title=AR-15%20FRONT%20SIGHT%20BENCH%20BLOCK

RD62
06-11-09, 16:13
As has been mentioned already...

Make sure you are drifting from the correct side.

Use a bigger hammer.

Or just remove the gas tube and barrel nut. :)

-RD62

Iraqgunz
06-11-09, 16:25
In addition Bushamster pins can be a pain in the ass. I recommend putting Kroil or other lubricant onto the FSB to loosen them up.

redyak3
06-11-09, 18:11
This is definately a pain.
Drove out the gas tube roll pin, thinking the tube should just slide out, fat chance! I don't want to risk damaging the gas tube trying to get it out. Feels like its welded into the FSB even after soaking it in Breakfree. Put the pin back in and will go back to pounding on the taper pins. Got some "Liquid Wrench" penetrating oil on the little demons.
Good learning experience to say the least... I will get those muthas off.
Thanks for the help!

August
06-11-09, 19:55
I will get those muthas off.

Oh, oh, here comes the Binford 6000.

MAP
06-11-09, 20:04
In addition Bushamster pins can be a pain in the ass. I recommend putting Kroil or other lubricant onto the FSB to loosen them up.

Kroil is a must. I use a 12 ton press. It works great.

Mike

txbonds
06-11-09, 20:51
Kroil is a must. I use a 12 ton press. It works great.

Mike

What kind of press? Where do you get one?

spamsammich
06-12-09, 03:13
I've been a big fan of PB Blaster for a while now, I've used it on stubborn, painted in pins before. It's like magic.

M4Fundi
06-12-09, 04:20
I also use PB Blaster for killing spiders:p It does it all;)

MAP
06-12-09, 07:21
What kind of press? Where do you get one?

I have a cheap harbor freight press. It gets the job done. Make sure that the barrel and FSB is properly supported.

Mike

txbonds
06-12-09, 08:02
I have a cheap harbor freight press. It gets the job done. Make sure that the barrel and FSB is properly supported.

Mike

Thank Mike. Is it like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1667

I've tried using a bench vice before with my brownells FSB Block, but could never get it supported and braced enough to actually press with any force. Plus, you can't get a full length punch into the vice to press with.

MAP
06-12-09, 08:11
Thank Mike. Is it like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1667

I've tried using a bench vice before with my brownells FSB Block, but could never get it supported and braced enough to actually press with any force. Plus, you can't get a full length punch into the vice to press with.

Mine is very similar. Go slow and make sure that the barrel and FSB is properly supported.

Mike

DRich
06-12-09, 10:36
Drove out the gas tube roll pin, thinking the tube should just slide out, fat chance! I don't want to risk damaging the gas tube trying to get it out. Feels like its welded into the FSB even after soaking it in Breakfree. Put the pin back in and will go back to pounding on the taper pins. Got some "Liquid Wrench" penetrating oil on the little demons.
Good learning experience to say the least... I will get those muthas off.
Thanks for the help!

A new gas tube costs less than $9. A screwed up FSB is a lot more than that.

I'm going to assume you removed the BCG before you tried to slide the gas tube out of the FSB. If it's truly stuck, I'd just cut the tube in half and yank it out with a pair of pliers. Then swap uppers and insert a new gas tube.

Hell of a lot easier than what you're trying to do.

bill_d
06-12-09, 10:36
redyak,
why are you taking that sight base off?
the gas tube is the expendable part.
it can be done, but taking the base off when not necessary
is a bad idea.
even with the press, it might not be worthwhile.

redyak3
06-12-09, 12:40
redyak,
why are you taking that sight base off?
the gas tube is the expendable part.
it can be done, but taking the base off when not necessary
is a bad idea.
even with the press, it might not be worthwhile.

I wanted to swap uppers install the Holosight and it'd be my wife's weapon.
I looked at the Brownells youtube video and the guy removed the FSB/gas tube to get at the barrel nut and delta ring in a float tube swap. Thought that looked like the way to go, as I wouldn't have to purchase/wait for shipping as he replaced the FSB/gas tube as one unit.
Of course on the video, one whack and the taper pins dropped....

bill_d
06-12-09, 13:51
i guess it depends on how well
your shop is set up.
i searched for "front sight base removal "
and got a few threads that have all the details
you probably have on your mind.
it's worth a look.

DRich
06-12-09, 13:53
No need to remove the FSB unless you're installing a one-piece freefloat tube.

If you're just swapping uppers, the easiest procedure is to leave the FSB in place and just remove the gas tube.

Txs
06-12-09, 14:42
Drove out the gas tube roll pin, thinking the tube should just slide out, fat chance! I don't want to risk damaging the gas tube trying to get it out. Feels like its welded into the FSB even after soaking it in Breakfree. Something to try before either just giving up or cutting it.

Use two short pieces of wood cut from a soft pine 2X4, a vise and a non-marring heavy mallet - or just a length of 2X4 you might have left over.

Place the two pieces of wood in the vise, flip the upper upside down and tightly pinch that portion of gas tube nearest the FSB between them. You should have a full 4 in. of gas tube sandwiched between these two blocks. Due to the softness of the wood you're minimizing the risk of damage to the tube, so go ahead and make sure you get it very snug.

Now smack the rear of the upper receiver with your mallet or board. A good solid blow or two should break it loose.

redyak3
06-12-09, 16:04
Something to try before either just giving up or cutting it.

Use two short pieces of wood cut from a soft pine 2X4, a vise and a non-marring heavy mallet - or just a length of 2X4 you might have left over.

Place the two pieces of wood in the vise, flip the upper upside down and tightly pinch that portion of gas tube nearest the FSB between them. You should have a full 4 in. of gas tube sandwiched between these two blocks. Due to the softness of the wood you're minimizing the risk of damage to the tube, so go ahead and make sure you get it very snug.

Now smack the rear of the upper receiver with your mallet or board. A good solid blow or two should break it loose.

Good idea, tried it to no avail...'99 BM, guess it'll remain as is, and I'll put together another upper.... I guess "if it aint broke, don't fix it..."
Thanks for all your time and effort folks !

5pins
06-13-09, 22:10
People are going to cringe when they read this but. The best way to remove a stubborn gas tube is to take a pair of vice grips and clamp the tube and use a small hammer and tap on the vice grip. Gas tubes are not as delicate as most people think.

Iraqgunz
06-14-09, 05:18
5pins,

I was hesitant to post that because I didn't to be accused of heresy :D but I do it like this as well if I have a hard one. If the tube is too difficult I cut it and rip it out.

People are going to cringe when they read this but. The best way to remove a stubborn gas tube is to take a pair of vice grips and clamp the tube and use a small hammer and tap on the vice grip. Gas tubes are not as delicate as most people think.

redyak3
06-14-09, 13:04

5pins,

I was hesitant to post that because I didn't to be accused of heresy :D but I do it like this as well if I have a hard one. If the tube is too difficult I cut it and rip it out.

I did that but using a channel lock instead, due to the Breakfree that I'd sprayed on the FSB/gas tube, the channel lock just slipped and scratched the tube. That's when I called it quits. When my current build is complete, I'll get after those stubborn parts on the BM.

Iraqgunz
06-14-09, 17:17
Wipe the tube off, put the vise grips about 1 inch behind the FSB and lock it down. Then wiggle the vise grips back and forth and it should loosen. Don't worry about scratching the tube. Just don't damage it.

I did that but using a channel lock instead, due to the Breakfree that I'd sprayed on the FSB/gas tube, the channel lock just slipped and scratched the tube. That's when I called it quits. When my current build is complete, I'll get after those stubborn parts on the BM.

spamsammich
06-14-09, 17:50
Also, I've found PB Blaster to be much more effective at loosening gas tubes than Breakfree. Plus it kills spiders and all sorts of things.

Fireglock
06-14-09, 18:40
Also, I've found PB Blaster to be much more effective at loosening gas tubes than Breakfree. Plus it kills spiders and all sorts of things.

And you can always use it on your cars! It's a good product that does as advertised.

Sam
06-28-09, 07:02
I feel your pain sir. I helped a friend of mine remove the FSB on his gun last week. The first pin came out after a lot of taps with the rubber mallet and pin punch. The second one wouldn't budge. I cussed and smacked the pin a bunch more times, even with WD40 soaking the pin area the pin wouldn't move. We soaked the sight in oil and went to get some ribs. An hour later with my belly full of bbq ribs, I decided to give it a few more taps. The stubborn pin finally came out. So the trick is bbq ribs and WD40! Hope you already got them out by this time.

rob_s
06-28-09, 07:28
Kroil (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7610/Product/KROIL) + Taper Pin Starter (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26485/Product/TAPER_PIN_STARTER) + Front Sight Base Bench Block (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20727/Product/AR-15_FRONT_SIGHT_BENCH_BLOCK) + 3 lb sledge (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96386-927-B3-3LB&lpage=none) = success every time for me.

Josh-L
06-30-09, 10:43
I had a buddy bring over a BCM middy upper he wanted to put a rail on. I flattened one of those Starrett taper pin starter punches. It's no longer cupped... lol. We ended up using a press to get them out. I wish someone would fab a good fixture just for using in a press for this task.

spamsammich
06-30-09, 11:09
I had a buddy bring over a BCM middy upper he wanted to put a rail on. I flattened one of those Starrett taper pin starter punches. It's no longer cupped... lol. We ended up using a press to get them out. I wish someone would fab a good fixture just for using in a press for this task.

Did you try using penetrating oil first?

redyak3
06-30-09, 12:51
I feel your pain sir. I helped a friend of mine remove the FSB on his gun last week. The first pin came out after a lot of taps with the rubber mallet and pin punch. The second one wouldn't budge. I cussed and smacked the pin a bunch more times, even with WD40 soaking the pin area the pin wouldn't move. We soaked the sight in oil and went to get some ribs. An hour later with my belly full of bbq ribs, I decided to give it a few more taps. The stubborn pin finally came out. So the trick is bbq ribs and WD40! Hope you already got them out by this time.

Pretty much abandoned the idea...
Gave the old BM a camo facelift and installed the Holosight on the rail in front of the carry handle, it worked fine, bagged a hog with it last week.
Thanks for all the ideas, much appreciated!

Josh-L
06-30-09, 16:59
Did you try using penetrating oil first?

I couldn't find any Kroil but I did spray some WD40 on it and let it sit. They still wouldn't come out without the press.

spamsammich
06-30-09, 17:59
In my experience, WD-40 is useless as a penetrating oil. Kroil or PB Blaster are much more effective. I removed some rusted taper pins that had been painted over after nearly killing a Spring Tools nail set. Soaked the pins in PB Blaster overnight and in the morning the paint had been eaten away and two taps from the nail set and the pins popped loose.

Sam
06-30-09, 21:05
Pretty much abandoned the idea...

I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up the idea, wish you wouldn't, give it another try.

After reading the horrors posted here, I don't feel too bad now that it took a lot of sweat, swearing and hammering to get the pins out of my buddy's sight tower.