PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP - "intermediate" term opinions

YVK
06-11-09, 15:17
This little thing has been out for several months now, and I wonder how it has done so far. All I know that there's been a recall, and that's about it. For those who have some experience: does it serve intended purpose well? likes - dislikes? ease of shooting?

Local dealer has got a bunch of those, retailing at $300. I am tempted...

On a related note, I also examined a Sig 238 and I did like too. It is bigger and heavier than Ruger, yet still feels fairly concealable. I am sure it'll be easier to shoot. Sig is SAO and looks like a 1911 design. For those who have experience with pocket pistols in general: does striker-fired design have any advantages over hammer-fired cocked-locked with thumb safety design in this particular pistol segment?

Thanks.

Icculus
06-11-09, 15:42
I've only fondled them, not shot them. Based on what I've seen though, if you have the least bit of interest in one you should snag it, especially at that price point.

Also a word about the sig 238 since you brought it up. I love sigs and I'm also a fan of 1911's. I really liked the 238--size, feel, weight--but there is one thing that is a show stopper for me. A holster is one thing but part of the allure of a gun that size is even deeper concealment. The idea of sticking a cocked and locked pistol in my pocket pointed at the jewels just doesn't give me warm fuzzy's. I think I'll wait till they make DA/SA ones. Heck by that time there might actually be some .380 to buy without taking out a second mortgage.

woodandsteel
06-11-09, 15:44
$300 is a very fair price. They are about $350, plus tax around here.

I bought mine when they first came out. Don't worry too much about the recall. I sent mine in and had the recall work done to it. But, before and after the recall, the little gun worked almost every time.

There was one range session where I was using some old practice ammo, and the gun was very dry. I did have a failure to return to battery on that one occassion. But when shooting my carry ammo, I never had a problem.

I pocket carry. So, I am always cleaning lint out of the gun.

The LCP is not at all uncomfortable to shoot. It can actually be very enjoyable. And I find it to be an accurate shooter as well. For our off duty qualification, we shoot as far back as 25 yards. I am still able to get all my rounds in the bottle of the "Q" targets that we use.

woodandsteel
06-11-09, 15:56
This little thing has been out for several months now, and I wonder how it has done so far. All I know that there's been a recall, and that's about it. For those who have some experience: does it serve intended purpose well? likes - dislikes? ease of shooting?

Local dealer has got a bunch of those, retailing at $300. I am tempted...

On a related note, I also examined a Sig 238 and I did like too. It is bigger and heavier than Ruger, yet still feels fairly concealable. I am sure it'll be easier to shoot. Sig is SAO and looks like a 1911 design. For those who have experience with pocket pistols in general: does striker-fired design have any advantages over hammer-fired cocked-locked with thumb safety design in this particular pistol segment?
Thanks.

Just curious, but after re-reading your post, were you under the impression that the LCP was a striker-fired design? I may have misread this. In case I didn't, I would consider it more to be a DAO pistol. It has a hammer that gets pulled back with every pull of the trigger.

As far as the Sig 238 is concerned, my wife has the Colt Mustang Plus II, which is almost the same thing. I enjoy shooting it, but it is much heavier than the LCP. And, even though the trigger on the LCP has a longer length of travel and heavier pull weight, I find it to be very comfortable when you consider the purpose of the LCP. Plus the LCP slides into my pocket better than the Mustang does.

Here is a picture of my LCP;

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo187/woodandsteel/IMG_2001JPG-1-1.jpg

YVK
06-11-09, 18:01
Just curious, but after re-reading your post, were you under the impression that the LCP was a striker-fired design?

You are correct; I made a mistake. The essense of my question is whether cocked and locked is disadvantageous for pocket carry as opposed to with hammer-down.

ProMed
06-11-09, 19:07
I paid $286 shipped + $10 trans fee for mine. I enjoy shooting, especially with the CT.

http://www.motonews.com/images/fbfiles/images/LCP2.jpg

woodandsteel
06-11-09, 19:10
Personally, I am not comfortable with the Cocked and Locked for a pocket pistol. I have carried a Colt CCO before, cocked and locked. But the idea of a cocked and locked pistol in my pocket doesn't sound comforting.

I would be worried about debri getting in the way of the hammer. Plus, I would be concerned about the safety or hammer getting snagged on anything while drawing.

ProMed
06-11-09, 19:13
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_rugerlcp_200807-A.jpg
http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/890724.jpg

woodandsteel
06-11-09, 19:16
I paid $286 shipped + $10 trans fee for mine. I enjoy shooting, especially with the CT.

[IMG]]

ProMed,

I was actually going to post a link to the picture thread where you had that photo. Very nice.

ToddG
06-11-09, 23:23
I am very happy with mine. Do I expect it to last 10,000 rounds or win USPSA Production Nationals? No. Is it smaller, lighter, higher capacity, faster to reload, and easier to shoot than the j-frame I used to carry in the same pocket? Yes.

Mine is quite accurate and has been 100% post-recall.

zephyr
06-12-09, 13:07
I had two of the first ones available in my area. They have been 100% for me. I did send them back for the recall but they worked fine before and after.

maximus83
06-12-09, 15:57
I tried an LCP. Initially it was unreliable, with both misfires and misfeeds, along with an occasional failure to go into battery. It took the recall, and a 2nd post-recall trip to Ruger, to get it fixed and then it was 100% reliable. However, in fairness I believe most users I have seen have found theirs to be reliable.

After mine was fixed, there were some things I liked about it, the smooth trigger and small size being the main ones. However, there were some drawbacks that ultimately pushed me away from the LCP:

* The biggest was the .380 acp caliber itself. The more I studied about this caliber, the less I liked it. It is seriously lacking as a defensive round (Google for Dr Gary Roberts comments on .380, or look in the ballistics section on this forum). And further, with the "economics of the ammo industry we've all faced the last 5 years, .380 is horribly overpriced (it costs more than .45 ammo, usually) and nearly always in short supply. The .380 caliber was a key factor pushing me away from the LCP. I just don't like a round that is marginal in effectiveness, expensive, and always hard to get.
* The second showstopper for me was my inability to get a comfortable grip on the gun. I constantly had problems with it slipping, or shifting, and causing pain to my hands. Bottom line was that I could never get very comfortable shooting it, either one-handed or two. This seems to be an individual shooter thing, and is driven by factors such as the size of your hands.

The LCP is a decent backup gun or lightweight carry when your only other option is to carry nothing. However, for me, I found what turned out to be a better choice: a Kahr PM-9. It weighs only 5 oz more than the LCP, and uses a caliber (9mm) that Doc Roberts and many others believe is the minimum threshold for an adequate defensive caliber. As to capacity, it can hold the same as the LCP, 6+1, or with the extended mag, 7+1. The Kahr is more robustly constructed IMHO, it should give you at least 20K rounds and I doubt any LCP will give you that. And I believe that Kahr has worked some of their early reliability issues out of these (it used to be common knowledge that the small Kahrs were too tight and unreliable at feeding for the first 200 to 400 rounds). But I did not have ANY issues, not a single FTF or extraction issue, in the first 500 rounds. Nor do most other recent Kahr purchasers I have run across. I posted a review on another forum (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=229892), and the many responders there were overwhelmingly positive about the reliability of their own Kahrs.

But the issue here isn't Kahr, that's just my alternative for lightweight carry. The real issue is that there are other choices available than the LCP, and they may be better choices for you. If you don't like Kahrs, you can get a Rohrbaugh, a Seecamp, or a Walther PPS: there are a number of small-ish 9mm's out there. Bottom line is that you can get a pocket pistol that uses a better caliber than the LCP, has equal or better capacity, is better constructed, and fits ALMOST as well in your pocket or CCW holster. The tiny amount of extra size comparing a Kahr to an LCP, for concealed carry, is insignificant to me. Carrying my PM-9 in a Smart Carry, I can carry even in the most deep concealment of situations without needing an untucked shirt, an outer garment, or other gimmick to hide the outline of my weapon. I even carry my Pm-9 at my very anti-gun company, where guns are totally prohibited, because it is so easy and comfortable to conceal.

Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with getting an LCP if you can try one, and find out that you shoot it comfortably. For some folks, like those who posted positive reviews in this thread, it works out fine and is a reliable, lightweight pocket gun. If you can shoot it well, and aren't worried about the issues with .380 caliber, then go for it. But I still think there is a better caliber and better pistols out there, and I would at least check out some of those before you buy an LCP.

YVK
06-12-09, 22:57
Thanks to everybody for information, and I appreciate you taking time to write that much, maximus.

Over last 2 years I've looked at and tried to learn about every single pocket pistol on the market. Every single one of them requires some sort of compromise to be made; price and ammo availability appear to be the only ones that concern me about LCP, and yes, it'd be nice if they had a rental one to try out...

mattpittinger
06-13-09, 09:37
I've got a LCP. It serves my purpose well. I bought it to be the gun I could carry when I couldn't carry a gun. Like at the gym, running, or just lazing around in gym shorts at the lake. It is perfect for that. It is not my primary carry weapon, nor would I consider it adequate for that purpose, but it does well for what it is intended. I have not yet got a chance to tinker with a P238. I have one on order, but do not expect it for at least a month of more. The gun appears to be very similar to a Colt Mustang (maybe I am mistaken) which I have always been a big fan of. I do not think that this gun would be an adequate replacement for the LCP simply due to the fact that it is heavier. I mean come on, you cant beat 9 ounces! That is just my take on it. As to any problems with the LCP, I have had none. It has preformed flawlessly. The only addition that I feel is mandatory on this gun is the addition of the Crimson Trace laser-guard. On a small gun, or in the LCP's case VERY SMALL, it is worth it's weight in gold.

tpd223
06-13-09, 10:21
Mine mostly worked before the recall work was done, then it gave lots of light strikes.

After the fix I had to send it back again to get it fixed from being fixed.

I no longer trusted the gun after the free "thank you" pinky finger rest magazine started giving me functioning issues.

Sold it and bought another 642