PDA

View Full Version : Military Grade Build

thompson1774
01-15-07, 15:45
I would like to build a military grade M-4 copy. I am thinking of using the below listed parts and a RRA lower. RRA Lowers fit tightly and I don't like the sloppy upper/lower fit. That is the only reason that I'm using them.

BCM 16in, 1-7 Twist, M-4 Upper
RRA LPK
CMT or LMT BCG
CMT Collapsable Buttstock
H-2 or H-3 Buffer

Any opinions to the contrary, or am I headed in the right direction?

M4arc
01-15-07, 16:20
Looks like a solid and dependable build to me.

RAM Engineer
01-15-07, 16:54
Nothing bad about your choices, but I prefer LMT parts to CMT, and a LMT upper would probably be quicker to acquire than a BCM upper, unless you already have one.

Zip06
01-15-07, 17:05
Looks like a good build. I would add a BUIS.

thompson1774
01-15-07, 21:03
True, the BUIS, Optics, sling, and other extras will come along. Right now, I'm just trying to create a solid weapon for work and play. I wouldn't mind using the LMT upper, however they mark their uppers as well as the lower and I already have the lower. I don't the agency I work for will like mutt guns. They are kind of narrow minded.

thompson1774
01-15-07, 21:10
The good thing about my agency, they aren't knowledgeable about weapons, so without the external markings, I think I can still use it for work purposes...

M4arc
01-16-07, 06:24
True, the BUIS, Optics, sling, and other extras will come along. Right now, I'm just trying to create a solid weapon for work and play. I wouldn't mind using the LMT upper, however they mark their uppers as well as the lower and I already have the lower. I don't the agency I work for will like mutt guns. They are kind of narrow minded.

Ram is right, the BCM uppers are going to be awhile. If they don't like Mutt guns then buy an LMT lower too and use the lower you have for your next build ;)

PALADIN-hgwt
01-16-07, 07:59
xxxxx

SethB
01-16-07, 11:46
Given your circumstances I would advise you to sell the RRA lower and get LMT parts.

C4IGrant
01-16-07, 17:34
Given your circumstances I would advise you to sell the RRA lower and get LMT parts.

Agree. An LMT lower with LMT LPK is superior to RRA IMHO.

As other have stated, BCM is a no go for awhile (read many months). Go with LMT.

C4

mike01ta
01-18-07, 12:33
Agree. An LMT lower with LMT LPK is superior to RRA IMHO.

As other have stated, BCM is a no go for awhile (read many months). Go with LMT.

C4

Not being beligerant but, as you know I have an RRA and ineviatbley(sp) they get thrashed and I wonder why. So, what is your problem with RRA lowers specifically?
Thanks, Mike

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 12:36
Not being beligerant but, as you know I have an RRA and ineviatbley(sp) they get thrashed and I wonder why. So, what is your problem with RRA lowers specifically?
Thanks, Mike

RRA stripped lowers are fine I think. We are mainly talking about the internals.

I would NEVER buy a complete lower from RRA for several reason's, but mainly because they use non mil-spece RE's and to make matters worse, they loctite them on.

C4

9DivDoc
01-18-07, 14:20
I would like to build a military grade M-4 copy. I am thinking of using the below listed parts and a RRA lower. RRA Lowers fit tightly and I don't like the sloppy upper/lower fit. That is the only reason that I'm using them.

BCM 16in, 1-7 Twist, M-4 Upper
RRA LPK
CMT or LMT BCG
CMT Collapsable Buttstock
H-2 or H-3 Buffer

Any opinions to the contrary, or am I headed in the right direction?

Pretty sure the RR LPK and CMT LPKs are one in the same so you could save a buck or two there...

I'd see G&R for that new BC group Grant is putting together

Not that there was anything wrong with your choices at all...

You might ask whoever supplies your stripped upper and lower to pick you out
a matching set for fit and color...

If you have your heart set on RR....Brownells has a 10% off sale going on and they do carry the Rock River "Match" paired uppers and lowers...

The code to get the discount is... C1T

hth

mike01ta
01-18-07, 15:59
RRA stripped lowers are fine I think. We are mainly talking about the internals.

I would NEVER buy a complete lower from RRA for several reason's, but mainly because they use non mil-spece RE's and to make matters worse, they loctite them on.

C4

My RE was not mil-spec but luckily it was not loctited and came right off. Replaced it with a CAA which is milspec. Have you seen problems with the 2 stage triggers like I have or just the regular GI type they use?
Thanks, Mike

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 17:14
My RE was not mil-spec but luckily it was not loctited and came right off. Replaced it with a CAA which is milspec. Have you seen problems with the 2 stage triggers like I have or just the regular GI type they use?
Thanks, Mike

The RRA two stage triggers tend to shoot out and become single stage triggers (this happened to mine). This is why you see a lot of companies (like ADCO) offer "fixes" for them.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 18:30
The RRA two stage triggers tend to shoot out and become single stage triggers (this happened to mine). This is why you see a lot of companies (like ADCO) offer "fixes" for them.

C4

Grant,
I have a RRA 2-stage trigger- would mind explaining in detail how/why they "shoot out"? Also could you provide a good alternative in the same price range?
Thanks,
Dave

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 18:52
Grant,
I have a RRA 2-stage trigger- would mind explaining in detail how/why they "shoot out"? Also could you provide a good alternative in the same price range?
Thanks,
Dave

They basically become one, long single stage trigger.

There really aren't any options that any better in that price range.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two combat rated, two stage triggers. They are the KAC and the Geissele. Something to consider if your using your AR for home defense for duty.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 19:06
They basically become one, long single stage trigger.

There really aren't any options that any better in that price range.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two combat rated, two stage triggers. They are the KAC and the Geissele. Something to consider if your using your AR for home defense for duty.

C4

Geissele makes 3 different styles right- the service one is the one I would need correct?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 19:08
Geissele makes 3 different styles right- the service one is the one I would need correct?

They make a DM trigger and that is the one that I use. Any of them should serve you though.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 19:17
They make a DM trigger and that is the one that I use. Any of them should serve you though.

C4

for $280...it better be the best on the market! Have you tried the Timmeny yet?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 19:22
for $280...it better be the best on the market! Have you tried the Timmeny yet?

That is full retail, you can get them cheaper.

The POF (Timmney) is very nice for a single stage.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 19:34

C4

Does the "service" version of the G trigger mean that it is capable of select fire modes?...or do they not make a version for that application?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 19:43
Does the "service" version of the G trigger mean that it is capable of select fire modes?...or do they not make a version for that application?

They do not make a FA version.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 19:43
That is full retail, you can get them cheaper.

The POF (Timmney) is very nice for a single stage.

C4

Why do you use the term "for a single stage"? I am just interested in your personal reason. Does the DM version of the G trigger have that name because of low poundage on the pull and Zero take-up(similar to a bolt gun)?

Dave L.
01-18-07, 19:45
They do not make a FA version.

C4

Well, didn't they get an army contract to put these on mil weapons? Why not have a select fire mode(I never used burst once in real life but that's just me)?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 19:51
Why do you use the term "for a single stage"? I am just interested in your personal reason. Does the DM version of the G trigger have that name because of low poundage on the pull and Zero take-up(similar to a bolt gun)?

Some people don't like single stage triggers on a combat weapon so that it is why I stated it is as such.

Here is some info on the trigger:

The Geissele DMR Rifle Trigger Pull Weights:

First Stage: 1.3 - 3 pounds (2 pounds nominal)
Second Stage: 0.5 to 1.5 pounds
The Geissele Hi-Speed Designated Marksman Rifle Trigger is designed for tactical and military shooting where trigger pull weight is not regulated.

C4

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 19:52
Well, didn't they get an army contract to put these on mil weapons? Why not have a select fire mode(I never used burst once in real life but that's just me)?

The Army's DMR rifles are semi.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 19:55
The Army's DMR rifles are semi.

C4

So is the DM trigger a good application even for an SBR?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 20:02
So is the DM trigger a good application even for an SBR?

That is personal preference.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 20:05
That is personal preference.

C4

May I ask your personal reason?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 20:12
May I ask your personal reason?

I like the POF trigger, but prefer two stage on most everything. I do run the POF on my 9mm AR though.

C4

Dave L.
01-18-07, 20:18
I like the POF trigger, but prefer two stage on most everything. I do run the POF on my 9mm AR though.

C4

How many rounds have you fired using the POF trigger (in an AR .556) any reliability problems at all?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 20:22
How many rounds have you fired using the POF trigger (in an AR .556) any reliability problems at all?

Only a couple hundred at this point (as it is colder than a witches tit in a brass bra here).

C4

M4arc
01-18-07, 20:28
Only a couple hundred at this point (as it is colder than a witches tit in a brass bra here).

C4

Holy cow, I haven't heard that term in a LOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG time.

That is definitely an eastern Ohio/western PA saying :p