PDA

View Full Version : Spelling and grammar PSA #1. FFS.

QuietShootr
06-11-09, 18:30
Topics of the day: Improper use of the possessive and homophones.

Like it or not, your use of language on the internet (and IRL) contributes to the way some people view you.

Can you pick which sentence is correct?

I have a few AR's, but one of them has a muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor.
I have a few ARs, but one of them has a muzzle brake instead of a flash suppressor.

If you don't see at least two glaring errors in one of those sentences (and it's not the first sentence), go visit your middle school English teacher and apologize for having wasted his time.

AR's is possessive, not plural. A proper use of "AR's" would be to say, "My DPMS AR's barrel is a piece of shit." An improper use of "AR's" might be, "Let's talk about AR's." What you are saying with the second sentence is, "Let's talk about something that belongs to an AR", not "Let's talk about AR rifles."

A homophone is not an electronic device that Barney Frank carries in his pocket. A homophone is a word that SOUNDS like another word, but means something entirely different. A homophone may or may not be spelled the same, e.g. "rose", a flower, vs. "rose", a past tense form of 'to rise'. Or it could be spelled differently, e.g. "break", a verb meaning to **** something up, or "brake", a noun meaning a machine element whose purpose is to slow a moving object. Confusing those two words makes you sound like a ****ing moron...except to other ****ing morons, who don't know the difference.

A public service message brought to you by your friend QS, who doesn't want the whole world to think gun owners are illiterate rednecks.

ZDL
06-11-09, 18:45
:D LMAO

I almost posted something about spelling and grammar the other day. Everyone makes mistakes and/or typos but it's pretty bad on here sometimes.

markdh720
06-11-09, 19:55
As internet sites go, this one isn't too bad concerning grammar and spelling. The majority of users on M4Carbine.net utilize punctuation and act like they have read a book within the last year. I can't visit TOS without thinking that I'm reading a sixteen year old's post that interchanges every s with a z and fails to put a period and the end of sentences.

I was once an English major. I changed majors, but I still appreciate when people try to properly write and speak the language they have been using their whole lives.

I will keep my I out for PSA #2. :D

JSantoro
06-11-09, 22:19
I recently flunked a kid on a written test because he used what I refer to as "texting" language to answer the questions (they were wrong, ayway). ur-instead-of-your type stuff, so you can imagine how I cringe when I see apostrophe usage butchered and the flagrant violations of the your/you're rule.

PlatoCATM
06-11-09, 22:31
I recently flunked a kid on a written test because he used what I refer to as "texting" language to answer the questions (they were wrong, ayway). ur-instead-of-your type stuff, so you can imagine how I cringe when I see apostrophe usage butchered and the flagrant violations of the your/you're rule.

It sounds like this practice should be strictly forbidden on future syllabi, as it was on one of my last classes.

Dunderway
06-11-09, 22:35
I applaud you for bringing up this issue, especially since proper English seems to become less popular by the day. However, I would honestly rather read through these minor mistakes than wade through shit like "LOL" and "Full of win" all day.

ToddG
06-11-09, 23:40
Topics of the day: Improper use of the possessive, and homophones.

I was unable to finish reading your post as your first sentence contains an unnecessary and grammatically incorrect comma. Furthermore, it is grammatically correct to use an apostrophe to denote the plural under certain circumstances.

ZDL
06-12-09, 00:06
I was unable to finish reading your post as your first sentence contains an unnecessary and grammatically incorrect comma. Furthermore, it is grammatically correct to use an apostrophe to denote the plural under certain circumstances.

............................................... :o ....................................... :D :D :D

mattjmcd
06-12-09, 00:13
What's the deal with pluralization of "words" that are not words but acronyms? Confusion often results with the addition of a simple "s" at the end of an acronym used in the singular.

woodandsteel
06-12-09, 00:18

I know there are times when I can butcher the English language. But, I also can't stand it when someone violates the you/you're rule. And, don't even get me started about people who misuse there, their and they're.

In school I never applied myself when it came to English classes. But, I am now finding myself getting very annoyed with people who butcher the English language.

By the way, if anyone here notices any grammatical errors in my post, feel free to correct me. I believe that you are never too old to learn. (High School was 20 years ago)

ToddG
06-12-09, 00:23
It is generally considered correct to use the apostrophe + s for an acronym or abbreviation when either (1) the aforementioned term ends in the letter s or (2) simply adding the letter s would be confusing.

For example, I own an Infiniti G35Xs. The proper way to pluralize that would be "G35Xs's."

Infiniti also sells the G35X. That would properly be pluralized "G35X's" because using "G35Xs" would create confusion with the model I own.

pacifico
06-12-09, 00:36
I'd like to point out that there is a difference between discrete Paypal and discreet Paypal. Discreet Paypal is the variety in which most people selling gun parts are interested.

thopkins22
06-12-09, 02:08
Thanks for starting this thread. Proper grammar and punctuation are key to expressing yourself clearly in the written word. Fortunately M4C seems to have a relatively literate base. I don't notice many here using the wrong homophones, nor giving people things they don't have with "their" instead of "they're."

Not bashing anyone in any way. I have my own issues that I need to address...mainly dealing with excessive usage of "....":D

Infiniti also sells the G35X. That would properly be pluralized "G35X's" because using "G35Xs" would create confusion with the model I own.

Forgive me if I'm wrong(finance major here,) but couldn't I just use an apostrophe after the s? I think I would normally type G35Xs'.

armakraut
06-12-09, 05:38
I speak English and bad English.

rob_s
06-12-09, 06:15
Our carbine matches require an orientation before you can participate. People that want to sign up have to email me to get on the list. When I get said emails with "UR" and other weird texting abbreviations I simply ignore them. My thinking is that these have typically been proven to be people I want nothing to do with.

I will say that since getting a "netbook" my tolerance for the occasional typo has gone up as my own rate of typos has increased. :D

JohnnyC
06-12-09, 06:34
0mFgZ0rZ!!!!!11!!!on311!!ii this thred is teh lulz!!!111!!!1!eleven

Damn, I needed 3 glasses of a nice single malt to bring myself to type that and now I'm kicking myself for wasting it on such a degenerate purpose.

QuietShootr
06-12-09, 06:41

You're right. I plead Glenfiddich. And you are correct about the apostrophe, but I figured I'd start out slowly. :D

hatt
06-12-09, 07:52
I was unable to finish reading your post as your first sentence contains an unnecessary and grammatically incorrect comma.

LMAO! That's going to be the funniest thing I see all day.

Sam
06-12-09, 07:57
Good post sir.

Here are a few more:

there vs. their vs there're

you're vs. your

too vs. two vs. to

ToddG
06-12-09, 08:38
Forgive me if I'm wrong(finance major here,) but couldn't I just use an apostrophe after the s? I think I would normally type G35Xs'.

Using s + apostrophe should be done only when signifying possession. When you wish to pluralize a word, acronym, abbreviation, or name you will almost always add either s or es at the end. For certain specific cases you may also use apostrophe + s.

You're right. I plead Glenfiddich. And you are correct about the apostrophe, but I figured I'd start out slowly. :D

My personal failing is hyper comma usage. I only mentioned it in your case because it is always fun to poke grammatical holes in posters' "Fix your grammar!" threads. :cool:

I cannot begin to count the number of times I've read an old thread or email and been literally ashamed of the spelling or grammatical errors I've committed. It's all well and good to know the difference between there, their, and they're but sometimes when one is typing along at 70wpm mistakes happen.

When I get said emails with "UR" and other weird texting abbreviations I simply ignore them.

While I despise such things as well, quite a few of the most professional people I know will use that shorthand when sending text messages. It's most common among folks whose phones lack a full keyboard.

Then again, I generally despise anyone without an iPhone at this point. :cool:

CryingWolf
06-12-09, 08:40
I speak English and bad English.

I speak those same two languages. :D

I try to look beyond typical grammar errors. This is an informal forum not a term paper or an essay. There is no reason to be a grammar nazi. :p

thopkins22
06-12-09, 08:43
Using s + apostrophe should be done only when signifying possession. When you wish to pluralize a word, acronym, abbreviation, or name you will almost always add either s or es at the end. For certain specific cases you may also use apostrophe + s.

As in, "Thomas' grammar is severely lacking.":D Thanks for the correction.

ToddG
06-12-09, 09:04
As in, "Thomas' grammar is severely lacking.":D Thanks for the correction.

While there are probably exceptions as well as grammar-meisters who might believe otherwise, the generally accepted modern rule is that singular proper nouns (e.g., Thomas) ending in the letter s can denote possession either with an apostrophe + s or just an apostrophe.

So it can be Thomas' idea or Thomas's idea. The former is more classically correct in written form, but the latter is far more common in the spoken language and thus has become acceptable.

C4IGrant
06-12-09, 09:36
The forums and e-mail has taught people that they can do just about anything when it comes to grammar & spelling and get away with it (Lord knows I am guilty as well).

My Mother was an Engrish teacher and growing up I got it beat into me. It apparently did not work. :D

Everyday I handle about 300-500 e-mails from customers. Some of the e-mails I get are just horrible. Lately, I have been getting some from a Cop in NJ. He uses no punctuation and only types in caps. His sentences also do not make any sense. I am dying to tell him how FUBARD he is, but he hasn't pissed me off enough to do so (yet).

Here is an example of his handy work: SO DO YOU BELIEVE ME NOW I DIDNT HEAR ANYTHING BACK FROM YOU IS THIS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANYMORE OR BECAUSE YOU DON'T REALLY CARE

C4

rob_s
06-12-09, 09:50
While I despise such things as well, quite a few of the most professional people I know will use that shorthand when sending text messages. It's most common among folks whose phones lack a full keyboard.

In the case of my example these are not text messages but many-sentence emails.

Gutshot John
06-12-09, 09:56
My personal failing is hyper comma usage.

Mine too and I notice that it is often gets worse for those with higher education. Lawyers are notiorious. ;)

A great book my stepmom gave me one year after proofing a paper I had written:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss

I recommend it to everyone. It's not only funny but will improve your grammar. I'll leave it to you to figure out the grammar but it creates a pretty funny image in the head.

Palmguy
06-12-09, 10:20

Wow. I'm glad that I have been fortunate enough to avoid that phenomenon for the most part. "ur" grates on my nerves like few other things do.

DRich
06-12-09, 11:01
Good post sir.

Here are a few more:

there vs. their vs there're

you're vs. your

too vs. two vs. to

Not to mention:

lose -vs- loose

I see that one at least a twice a day.

Irish
06-12-09, 11:09
Great posts and all too true! I'm definitely not perfect when it comes to grammer but I do give it my best on most occasions.

CryingWolf
06-12-09, 11:21
I have been getting some from a Cop in NJ. He uses no punctuation and only types in caps. His sentences also do not make any sense. I am dying to tell him how FUBARD he is, but he hasn't pissed me off enough to do so (yet).

Here is an example of his handy work: SO DO YOU BELIEVE ME NOW I DIDNT HEAR ANYTHING BACK FROM YOU IS THIS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANYMORE OR BECAUSE YOU DON'T REALLY CARE

C4

Yeah the all caps thing is pretty bad and is usually one of the few things that disturb me a little. People like that never seem to understand all caps make for a harder read and are why newspapers and magazines are not written as such.

Sam
06-12-09, 12:28

Then you generally despise me, as I don't own an iPhone nor will I plan to own one in the near future. :)

DrMark
06-12-09, 13:04
Some body might say your being to anal with you're word's, but I think there wrong.

:)

ZDL
06-12-09, 13:16
Concerning to, too, and two. It's "too" at the end of a sentence correct? I know its proper usage is to denote an over abundance of something as in "too much" but I seem to remember the end of the sentence rule from grade school.

austinN4
06-12-09, 13:19
The forums and e-mail has taught people........
Have, not has, as in: The forums and e-mail have taught people

Sorry, but could not resist.

Honu
06-12-09, 13:42
who cares ? as long as you get the idea of what is going on :)

I know I have bad english !!! not proud of it its just the way it is
I do try my best at writing its just not there for me ! :(

but I have a good business brain in highschool I owned a bunch of video arcades and also had a huge skate shop and made about $500,000 a year for the first 5-6 years of my life in the 80s :) all from a $3000 original investment :)

my horrid grammar has not stopped me at all my HS and college teacher told me it will hold me back in life ! I said well I will make enough to hire someone to write for me when it needs to count but my social and biz savy head will prevail
my wife now corrects my important emails :) hehehehehe

I/we still make 6 figures yet cant compose a proper sentence to save my life !

I also hate the texting abreviated stuff but I am never on those kind of forums ? so it does not bother me :)

when I am in person with people I communicate very well though and am one of those people persons that everyone likes (usually)

I think everyone has their faults in life and many people I meet up with have no I mean NO or very poor social skills
me I would take the social skills over proper grammar any day

read this last part with sarcasm :)
I always say at least I know my faults do you know yours :) hehehe

as I like to say not much steams my twinkies life is to short and I am far from perfect to worry and whine about what others dont do well ?

maybe its a island thing or more so the way I was raised

Sam
06-12-09, 14:20
Go to that link and read it please, that's a real post. Amazing.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=2226854#post2226854

RogerinTPA
06-12-09, 17:40
My pet peeve is when people bungle Tongue, Tong, and Thong.:p Let's not turn this into a remedial english course for christ's sakes. You'll scare away the masses!

woodandsteel
06-12-09, 18:14
Concerning to, too, and two. It's "too" at the end of a sentence correct? I know its proper usage is to denote an over abundance of something as in "too much" but I seem to remember the end of the sentence rule from grade school.

"Too", at the end of a sentence, is the same as saying "also".

Irish
06-12-09, 18:26
"Too", at the end of a sentence, is the same as saying "also".

And also "as well".

ToddG
06-12-09, 19:02
Not to mention:

lose -vs- loose

I see that one at least a twice a day.

Presumably you meant, "... at least twice a day."

:cool:

Every spelling or grammatical error one makes while denouncing spelling and grammatical errors should result in a penalty of at least 20 push-ups.

ToddG
06-12-09, 19:07

Ending a sentence with too or two is acceptable. Ending a sentence with to is generally considered poor grammar in the formal sense (ending a sentence with a preposition) but it has become so commonplace that many authorities no longer consider it forbidden.

For others, though, it remains the sort of nonsense up with which they will not put. :cool:

DRich
06-12-09, 19:53
Presumably you meant, "... at least twice a day."

:cool:

Every spelling or grammatical error one makes while denouncing spelling and grammatical errors should result in a penalty of at least 20 push-ups.

I chase two year old twins all day. Twenty push-ups would be the least strenuous physical activity I've attempted all week. :)

DrMark
06-12-09, 20:12
Ending a sentence with too or two is acceptable.

I think so two!

:)

exkc135driver
06-13-09, 00:03
Oh shit, here we go …

Thanks for starting this thread.

I concur. This is a much-needed thread which, however, will have about as much effect improving the sloppy grammar on this forum as a fart in a hurricane.

I don't notice many here using the wrong homophones, nor giving people things they don't have with "their" instead of "they're."

I do.

But while s + apostrophe should be used only when signifying possession, the possessive is sometimes denoted by using just an apostrophe. For example, let’s (as an aside, the apostrophe here denotes a contraction of “let us”) consider Bob Jones, Mary Jones, and their cat Tabby:
> Bob and Mary Jones are the Joneses. (The plural is denoted by adding “es” as adding “s” to form “the Joness” just don’t work to gud and is difficult to pronounce.)
> The Joneses have a cat. The Joneses’ (plural possessive) cat is named “Tabby.” (The plural possessive is denoted by adding an apostrophe as adding “apostrophe s” to form “the Jonesess” also don’t work to gud and is likewise difficult to pronounce. Plus, it just looks funny.)

My personal failing is hyper comma usage.

I’m not sure that such a thing exists. The invention of the comma and the semicolon made possible the 200-word sentences so beloved by the legal profession … an invention surely rivaling fire and the wheel in importance.

Mine too and I notice that it is often gets worse for those with higher education. Lawyers are notiorious.

No they're not. They are notorious for it.

One of my pet gripes: using “i.e.” where “e.g.” is called for.

For those who use the “I may use third-grade grammar, but you know what I mean” argument: Yes, I do know what you mean. I also see how you present yourself … and what I see is someone who presents himself as a person with the education, maturity, and life skills of a third grader. If that is the image that you want to project, fine.

I shall now run to my bunker to hide from the approaching shitstorm …

QuietShootr
06-13-09, 00:15
Oh shit, here we go …

I concur. This is a much-needed thread which, however, will have about as much effect improving the sloppy grammar on this forum as a fart in a hurricane.

I do.

But while s + apostrophe should be used only when signifying possession, the possessive is sometimes denoted by using just an apostrophe. For example, let’s (as an aside, the apostrophe here denotes a contraction of “let us”) consider Bob Jones, Mary Jones, and their cat Tabby:
> Bob and Mary Jones are the Joneses. (The plural is denoted by adding “es” as adding “s” to form “the Joness” just don’t work to gud and is difficult to pronounce.)
> The Joneses have a cat. The Joneses’ (plural possessive) cat is named “Tabby.” (The plural possessive is denoted by adding an apostrophe as adding “apostrophe s” to form “the Jonesess” also don’t work to gud and is likewise difficult to pronounce. Plus, it just looks funny.)

I’m not sure that such a thing exists. The invention of the comma and the semicolon made possible the 200-word sentences so beloved by the legal profession … an invention surely rivaling fire and the wheel in importance.

No they're not. They are notorious for it.

One of my pet gripes: using “i.e.” where “e.g.” is called for.

For those who use the “I may use third-grade grammar, but you know what I mean” argument: Yes, I do know what you mean. I also see how you present yourself … and what I see is someone who presents himself as a person with the education, maturity, and life skills of a third grader. If that is the image that you want to project, fine.

I shall now run to my bunker to hide from the approaching shitstorm …

In before the "I AINT WRITE GUD BUT IS MAKES MO MONEY THAN U" crowd...oops, too late. :cool:

Freakdaddy
06-13-09, 00:57
go visit your middle school English teacher and apologize for having wasted his time.

"If you're here...and I'm here...wouldn't this make it our time?"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Freakdaddy2/spiccolihand.jpg

ToddG
06-13-09, 01:05

In every example you provided, s followed by an apostrophe denoted possession. Nowhere in my post did I state that the letter s specifically needed to be added to the end of a word before the s + apostrophe would "work." I.e. (and not e.g.), you added unwritten meaning to my statement and then explained that said unwritten meaning was incorrect.

Essentially, you are arguing with yourself. You're not a lawyer by chance, are you? :cool:

Dunderway
06-13-09, 01:58
Proper English should be one of the many goals of the well rounded/well refined modern man. I also believe that one should also realize that given a specific arena of thought, he could be made to look as much a fool as someone who hasn’t mastered the English language.

Basically, we do not all have the same level/type of education. I have helped some very intelligent engineers study for basic lower-level courses. If someone is trying, I cut them slack.. I believe that is called being humble, and we could all use a dose of it now and then.

M4Fundi
06-13-09, 04:02
lay or lie?
"lie is to recline or occupy space and lay is to put or place" (this is how I remember to appropriately use these)

i.e. Once you lay the M4 on the table the M4 is now lying on the table.

MLK's quote translated into Ebonics
"I has a dream"

This is where texting is taking our children... into an Ebonic-like form of the written language.

OldNavyGuy
06-13-09, 09:30
The forums and e-mail has taught people that they can do just about anything when it comes to grammar & spelling and get away with it (Lord knows I am guilty as well).

My Mother was an Engrish teacher and growing up I got it beat into me. It apparently did not work. :D

Everyday I handle about 300-500 e-mails from customers. Some of the e-mails I get are just horrible. Lately, I have been getting some from a Cop in NJ. He uses no punctuation and only types in caps. His sentences also do not make any sense. I am dying (isn't this a color change :D) to tell him how FUBARD he is, but he hasn't pissed me off enough to do so (yet).

C4

just poking a little fun @ u :D

OldNavyGuy
06-13-09, 09:44
Topics of the day: Improper use of the possessive and homophones.

Like it or not, your use of language on the internet (and IRL) contributes to the way some people view you.

Sir, thank you very much for bringing this subject to our attention, i too wanted to bring this subject up quite some time ago, but feared that i would be castigated by those who can not spell or use proper grammar, plus those who say, "i know what you mean, no matter how you spell it".

C4IGrant
06-13-09, 10:36
just poking a little fun @ u :D

I believe that I used the word correctly. ;)

dy-ing  /ˈdaɪɪŋ/

–adjective 1. ceasing to live; approaching death; expiring: a dying man.
2. of, pertaining to, or associated with death: his dying hour.
3. given, uttered, or manifested just before death: her dying words.
4. drawing to a close; ending: the dying year.

–noun 5. the act or process of ceasing to live, ending, or drawing to a close.

C4