PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic gelatin

alistaire
06-11-09, 19:35
When did Ballistic gelatin come into use?

TNX

alistaire
06-12-09, 17:47
Interesting, but I was looking for the year ballistic gelatin was first used.

DocGKR
06-14-09, 20:52
Gel was experimented with during the 1930's, in widespread use through the 1950's, and by around 1960 20% gel testing was a standardized USG methodology.

alistaire
06-15-09, 09:31
Thank you.

DocGKR
06-15-09, 09:59
Eventually, I suspect it will all be done with accurate computer modeling, however, computer simulations still have a way to go.

ToddG
06-15-09, 14:45
Eventually, I suspect it will all be done with accurate computer modeling, however, computer simulations still have a way to go.

You mean I can't just cube the muzzle energy and get an accurate representation of wound profile? Dammit ...

DocGKR
06-15-09, 17:50
"You mean I can't just cube the muzzle energy and get an accurate representation of wound profile?"

Nah...you have to take the inverse square root of the integral derivative of the cross sectional area of the fully expanded projectile, less the mass function of the tissue displaced by the temporary stretch--divide that by the impact kinetic energy velocity function and you should be close to what the current Operational Requirement-based Casualty Assessment Weighted Task Average Impairment metric currently provides...

ToddG
06-15-09, 22:51
Nah...you have to take the inverse square root of the integral derivative of the cross sectional area of the fully expanded projectile, less the mass function of the tissue displaced by the temporary stretch--divide that by the impact kinetic energy velocity function and you should be close to what the current Operational Requirement-based Casualty Assessment Weighted Task Average Impairment metric currently provides...

I think I'll just stick to "pick something on DocGKR's list." But thanks.

Glock17JHP
06-18-09, 13:47

References... must have references!!!

Wait... I thought you had to start with the inverse CUBE root... and that the end result would in fact NOT be very close to what the current Operational Requirement-based Casualty Assessment Weighted Task Average Impairment metric currently provides.
I am sure that it is closer to the Casualty Requirement Assessment Requirement, better known as C.R.A.P. :confused: