PDA

View Full Version : COLT Mystery...???

VTLO910
06-11-09, 22:56
So... I live in one of those fantastic BAN Everything States... Lovely, I know...lol :(

So I am always thinking of Pre-Ban Lowers.

My questions is this... Where do all the COLT M16's from the Military go after they are replaced by the M4's or other A3/A4 Models...?

For sure there has to be tons of Pre-SEPT '94 Lowers out there beggin' for a home...

ANYONE KNOW...?

Thomas M-4
06-11-09, 23:08
They go to the depot to be rebuilt into A4 and M-4 versions and if they are no longer serviceable they get fed into Captain Crunch then the bits get melted down and sold for scrap. Depressing isn't it :(
Guess what happen to the M-14's that were stored during the Clinton years.

Thomas M-4
06-11-09, 23:29
The only firearms not going to Captain Crunch are M-1 garands , M-1 carbines , 1903 springfields , a few 1917 enfields & target surplus 22's .

http://www.thecmp.org/

A chance to own a piece of history.

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 03:15
Many of the weapons are cleaned and put into mouthballs at various depots. A friend of mine was on a recent project that took these weapons where they did a complete a TI on them, refurbished them and sent them to the Afghan National Army. Some of them were also converted into M4's and sent to Iraq if I recall correctly. I believe that the amount was well over 100K.

Thermodyn
06-12-09, 03:21
They go to the depot to be rebuilt into A4 and M-4 versions and if they are no longer serviceable they get fed into Captain Crunch then the bits get melted down and sold for scrap. Depressing isn't it :(

As a U.S. taxpayer, this makes me sick. :mad:

kyrin88
06-12-09, 07:41

+1
They are rebuilt into M4 variants, that is why most of them look like they got the crap beat out of them.

VTLO910
06-12-09, 07:45
Do they re-Etch the lowers then?

For the life of me I carried the M4 for months and don't recall it looking like it was a "refurb" for lack of better words.

kyrin88
06-12-09, 07:49

For the life of me I carried the M4 for months and don't recall it looking like it was a "refurb" for lack of better words.

You were probably issued a new rifle, not all the m4's are refurbished.

http://colt.com/mil/M4.asp

DRich
06-12-09, 08:43
For sure there has to be tons of Pre-SEPT '94 Lowers out there beggin' for a home...

Even if they weren't refurbed or destroyed, the old M16 lowers would be illegal to own since they are unregistered machineguns.

"Once a machinegun, always a machinegun."

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 09:11
Some are, some not. Many of the refurbs were going to the foreign armies I mentioned and not necessarily the troops.

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 09:12
And then of course is that........

Even if they weren't refurbed or destroyed, the old M16 lowers would be illegal to own since they are unregistered machineguns.

Thomas M-4
06-12-09, 10:43

"Once a machine gun, always a machinegun."

A $20 dollar modification and the M-14 could be converted to semi auto permanently.
But the ATF rule once a machine gun always a machine gun rule prevents civilian sell of M-14's . Not that that maters anymore because we gave most of them away to other countries and they are in use by our own forces now.

Reports are in the Clinton years at least 1 million garands were destroyed, I have heard of cases of never issued High polish blued with hand cut checkering BAR's being destroyed by the thousands, Thompson SMG destroyed some never even been issued. 1911's were also destroyed by the thousands .
Just thinking about it makes me sick :mad:

I wonder what will happen now that Obama is in office...

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 12:39
TM-4,

It wouldn't matter anyways because if it was made after 1986 it is still not allowed to be transfered (except for certain other categories). That happened on Ronald Reagans' watch. Yes it sucks but it is the way it is. let's not cry over spilled milk and worry about the real issues ahead.

A $20 dollar modification and the M-14 could be converted to semi auto permanently.
But the ATF rule once a machine gun always a machine gun rule prevents civilian sell of M-14's . Not that that maters anymore because we gave most of them away to other countries and they are in use by our own forces now.

Reports are in the Clinton years at least 1 million garands were destroyed, I have heard of cases of never issued High polish blued with hand cut checkering BAR's being destroyed by the thousands, Thompson SMG destroyed some never even been issued. 1911's were also destroyed by the thousands .
Just thinking about it makes me sick :mad:

I wonder what will happen now that Obama is in office...

DMR
06-12-09, 12:46
Some are, some not. Many of the refurbs were going to the foreign armies I mentioned and not necessarily the troops.

I'd have to say most are going here and the troops are getting new M-4s. At least all we have recieved were new production.

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 13:10
That makes sense. Out with the old, in with the new.

I'd have to say most are going here and the troops are getting new M-4s. At least all we have recieved were new production.

VTLO910
06-12-09, 13:15
That makes sense. Out with the old, in with the new.

Lol... Now I'm confused. The GOV is doing something that makes sense...? I LOVE IT! ;)

I'm just joking around, my paycheck comes from the GOV... But in any matter it is nice to know my Brothers out there are getting new equipment.

Thomas M-4
06-12-09, 13:33
TM-4,

It wouldn't matter anyways because if it was made after 1986 it is still not allowed to be transfered (except for certain other categories). That happened on Ronald Reagans' watch. Yes it sucks but it is the way it is. let's not cry over spilled milk and worry about the real issues ahead.

Yea I know you are right but some times I just can not help but to think what if:D

ST911
06-12-09, 13:57
Leftover parts from the conversion of ~1200 M16A1s into GAUs, circa 2001. Receivers, BCGs, various small parts were retained for the conversion. There were several of these shipping containers. Quite impressive.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/GAUConversions2Medium.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/GAUConversions3Medium.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/GAUConversions1Medium.jpg

CleverNickname
06-12-09, 18:15

If the M16 was made before May 19, 1986, it theoretically could be transferred to a private citizen. 18 USC 922(o) merely states that a machine gun must be lawfully possessed before the law took effect in order to be transferable. It doesn't require that the firearm be registered in the NFRTR. The only way a machine gun can be lawfully possessed under US law and not be in the NFRTR is if the federal government owns it. So any machine gun in the feds hands and made before that date would qualify.

Now of course, the Pentagon isn't going to surplus any of these machine guns to be made available for private sale and even if they did, the ATF wouldn't approve it. But theoretically at least, it would be possible.

Saginaw79
06-12-09, 19:33
If the M16 was made before May 19, 1986, it theoretically could be transferred to a private citizen. 18 USC 922(o) merely states that a machine gun must be lawfully possessed before the law took effect in order to be transferable. It doesn't require that the firearm be registered in the NFRTR. The only way a machine gun can be lawfully possessed under US law and not be in the NFRTR is if the federal government owns it. So any machine gun in the feds hands and made before that date would qualify.

Now of course, the Pentagon isn't going to surplus any of these machine guns to be made available for private sale and even if they did, the ATF wouldn't approve it. But theoretically at least, it would be possible.

Bill Clinton signed an EO stating any 'war material' used by the military must be destroyed when its reached its service life, so they cant do that either, plus the mG registry was closed so they couldnt be added anyway IIRC