PDA

View Full Version : need help for my first AR...?

xfive
06-12-09, 06:09
One of the gun store here is offering a OlyArms K23B Tactical Stubby 6.5" AR15 NIB, and a friend is offering an upper assy, w/ a DSC 11.5" barrel, DSC upper receiver (w/out the BCG & CH), DSC low profile gas block in a Troy MRF rail. Offered also are Troy HK style front sights and rear sights, LMT full auto LPK and a Colt Lower for an AR build. Basically the price difference are $3,300 for the OlyArms and $2,875. This will be for HD/range use. Which road should I go with?:) I'm from the SE Asia by the way, thanks!:)

kyrin88
06-12-09, 07:39
What are you talking about:confused: You need help to decide between what?

shadco
06-12-09, 08:54
Is there a good gunshop in your area where you can go and review all the different AR15 based variants and options available to you?

I think this would help you narrow down the options available to you.

faithmyeyes
06-12-09, 10:54
One of the gun store here is offering a OlyArms K23B Tactical Stubby 6.5" AR15 NIB, and a friend is offering an upper assy, w/ a DSC 11.5" barrel, DSC upper receiver (w/out the BCG & CH), DSC low profile gas block in a Troy MRF rail. Offered also are Troy HK style front sights and rear sights, LMT full auto LPK and a Colt Lower for an AR build. Basically the price difference are $3,300 for the OlyArms and $2,875. This will be for HD/range use. Which road should I go with?:) I'm from the SE Asia by the way, thanks!:)

Let me see if I understand. You're trying to decide between a

Complete Olympic Arms Tactical Stubby 6.5" (http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&category_id=11&product_id=64&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37) for $3300, and a build made with

- DoubleStar 11.5" upper rcvr
- Colt lower rcvr
- DoubleStar low-profile gas block
- Troy MRF rail and Troy BUIS
- LMT full-auto LPK

And presumably, some BCG and CH, since you said the upper doesn't come with them... for $2875.

And you're from SE Asia. I don't know if that means you're from SE Asia or that you're in SE Asia. If you were in the US, the build with full-auto lower parts would be illegal unless that Colt lower is a registered machine gun of pre-1986 manufacture. And either choice would be a "short-barreled rifle" under the US NFA, with the associated encumbrances.

If you're not in the US, I don't know your laws - so I'll assume that you do. Since I have no actual experience with SBRs, the only advice I can give you is what I've gleaned from others. Two points in particular stand out:

- That a 6.5" barrel on a 5.56 gun can create more problems than it solves, and drastically reduces the effectiveness of the round, and
- That on this forum, Olympic Arms is one of the more poorly thought-of manufacturers, for a number of good reasons.

If I had to decide between only those two, I'd take the full-auto built-up gun with the longer barrel. For a first AR, though, I'd rather have something else entirely.

Good luck
fme

BOOSTjunkie
06-12-09, 11:18
well just know that you are getting a very good quality quality product with olympic arms

JackOSU
06-12-09, 11:29
well just know that you are getting a very good quality quality product with olympic arms

I hope you're saying this tongue in cheek!??

RogerinTPA
06-12-09, 11:31
STOP.....Don't do it! Olympic Arms is NOT AN OPTION!:confused: There are WAY better selections online. Quality AR's prices are coming down. Look around here and see awesome reviews on every weapon system except Olympic Arms. Colt 6920's are 1300 bucks now for Christ sakes!:eek:

RogerinTPA
06-12-09, 11:35

Dude you're smokin Crack! :p

FlyAndFight
06-12-09, 12:07
This is still M4Carbine.net, right?

This thread is ridiculous.

:confused:

BOOSTjunkie
06-12-09, 12:11
one could also try century arms they also have a good rep and are known for good build quality

kyrin88
06-12-09, 13:40
This is still M4Carbine.net, right?

This thread is ridiculous.

:confused:
Seriously, what is going on here?:confused:

JackOSU
06-12-09, 14:09
I smell that "banned" scent coming on sometime soon......:D

leopard hound
06-12-09, 16:01
trolling?:confused:

xfive
06-12-09, 19:49
Thanks guys! faithmyeyes, nice for you to clear things up:) Yes, I'm from SE Asia... I think I'm gonna go w/the build made of DSC stuff, any good feedbacks from Double Star Corporation? Thanks!

BOOSTjunkie
06-12-09, 21:01
Thanks guys! faithmyeyes, nice for you to clear things up:) Yes, I'm from SE Asia... I think I'm gonna go w/the build made of DSC stuff, any good feedbacks from Double Star Corporation? Thanks!

i have a ds stripped lower... compared to my other lowers the thing has some unsightly machining marks and flash marks... instead of the flat finish that allot of other receivers have it has some slick semi gloss finish

my pmags seem to drop freely from them

i have no idea about function since i never built it but it seems ok and its definitely a economical way to go