PDA

View Full Version : Rifle advice please

Crow Hunter
06-12-09, 10:03
I have 2 Colt 6920's with the large .170 dia pins.

Since Colt is no longer producing rifles with the .170 dia pins anymore I have started to worry about the potential spare parts issues.

The current prices on the newer 6920's aren't bad at all and I could probably swing $2,500 to get 2 more 6920's with the smaller pins.

I have in my mind that if I had 2 old and 2 new design that I would have all my bases covered for future spare parts issues.

My wife isn't too keen on the idea (she says just buy some extra spare parts) but she said I could do it if it would make me happy. I can't get the idea out of my head though.

These rifles will be home defense/training/plinking only. I will shoot no more than a couple hundred rounds a month out of them plus at most 1 training class a year.

I don't have alot of experience in the long term durability of these rifles so I am at at a loss and am looking for advice of those with more experience that I.

What is the advice of the group?

markm
06-12-09, 10:09
You have nothing to worry about. This pin diameter shit has gotten ridiculous.

You could always order a spare hammer and trigger from S.A.W. and save the $2500 for ammo.

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 10:14
I am pretty sure that this question was answered you asked last time.

Since Colt is no longer producing rifles with the .170 dia pins anymore I have started to worry about the potential spare parts issues.

The current prices on the newer 6920's aren't bad at all and I could probably swing $2,500 to get 2 more 6920's with the smaller pins.

I have in my mind that if I had 2 old and 2 new design that I would have all my bases covered for future spare parts issues.

My wife isn't too keen on the idea (she says just buy some extra spare parts) but she said I could do it if it would make me happy. I can't get the idea out of my head though.

These rifles will be home defense/training/plinking only. I will shoot no more than a couple hundred rounds a month out of them plus at most 1 training class a year.

I don't have alot of experience in the long term durability of these rifles so I am at at a loss and am looking for advice of those with more experience that I.

What is the advice of the group?

DRich
06-12-09, 10:17

I had the same concerns, so I bought a couple of extra Colt FCG sets. For less than $80, that should guarantee my grandkid's grandkids will be shooting these rifles...assuming it's still legal. :)

Crow Hunter
06-12-09, 11:04
I am pretty sure that this question was answered you asked last time.

Sorry.:(

I didn't mean to imply that the previous advice about spare parts availability wasn't sound. I was just wondering if getting a couple extra rifles to cover all the bases was a good idea or not.

pacifico
06-12-09, 11:16
If you're really worried about it, sell the older Colts and keep the newer ones. Someone will buy them.

chuckles
06-12-09, 14:09
Post up a price for the "defective" ones. Heck even I may offer to buy one. :D It's not a real problem crow. get a couple of spare pin sets and a couple of FCGs, and live to be a hundred, still shooting the hell out those nice Colts. ;)

Saginaw79
06-12-09, 19:51
Just buy spare pins...

Veracity
06-12-09, 22:33
You have nothing to worry about. This pin diameter shit has gotten ridiculous.

You could always order a spare hammer and trigger from S.A.W. and save the $2500 for ammo.

Yeah, I actually did this.