PDA

View Full Version : I need a new knife...

Hawkeye
01-15-07, 18:21
I need a new carry knife. I'm leaning towards going back to a Benchmade. Suggestions? Discuss. :D

mark5pt56
01-15-07, 18:59
I've been using a KA-BAR Maserin for a couple three years now. I really like it, just the right size and it's stout, keeps a good edge, it's non serrated. I don't abuse my knives, but I use them though. Mine is an older model and the blade is more the shape of the handle.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=KM240T&mode=category&categoryId=1,3,7,9&categoryName=All-Purpose/Utility

I have a real Emerson chisel point, nice, but just doesn't seem to be sharp or actually get a good edge.

Speaking of sharp, the squad gave me a Kershaw for Christmas, nice, second one I own, very good edge.

I guess this is an everyday carry knife? I've found that the huge ones aren't carry friendly as one would like.

I still have my Buck knive that I skinned rats with when I was young(Muskrats that is)

Mark

rob_s
01-15-07, 19:34
I'm assuming that you're looking for an every day knife that will be used more for tasks than for fighting, but that could be used for fighting if the situation presented itself? Do you have a price range you're looking at?

I make no secret of the fact that I am a huge Benchmade fan. Admittedly, the people I tried to talk to at their main booth at SHOT were pretty stand-offish, but I still like the product. They pretty much have something for every use and every budget.

Personally, I'd take anything in an axis lock, model and size dependent on use and budget.

M4arc
01-15-07, 19:35
I purchased a Benchmade Mini Gripatilian Tanto in OD from Grant and I'm extremely happy with it carry it everyday. It's smaller than a full size but it fits nicely in a pair of Dockers and no one gasp when you pull it out to cut something.

557SBKOD (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=557)

DrMark
01-15-07, 20:07
I carry a Benchmade... plastic handle but decent (ATS-34?) steel. I think it's called the Eclipse.

It's a tip-down carry model, which I like. It seems like Benchmade has been moving more toward tip-up carry models, which I don't like.

Mark

R.D.
01-15-07, 20:50
One more vote for benchmade. I have had nothing but good experinces with their products. I have been carrying at least one of my AFCKs everyday for the better part of ten years. A buddy of mine has the newer one with an axis lock and it feels quite sturdy and opens smooth as silk with no blade wobble.

Robb Jensen
01-15-07, 20:57
I'd recommend a Strider or Strider/Onion designed ZT knife (I just saw these at SHOT) they are quite nice.

mark5pt56
01-15-07, 21:02
Although they weigh more in general, I like the metal handled ones. I just think they're less prone to break with hard use.

I had one of those Emerson Commanders once. If you didn't constantly check the tightness, it would come open on you. Kind of scary when you look down and see it poked through the side of your pocket. Nice knife, sharp, well built.

Funny story for those familair with that type of knife. As you know, it can be opened fast as it's pulled from the pocket. The catch on the blade is "hooked" on the pant and opens the blade.

A SEAL buddy of mine has one, shows me how fast it is. He also warns me to be careful, very sharp and you may cut your ass once or twice learning to open it up. Of course, I smirk and laugh at him, whatever retard.

So, I go to Extreme Pricing and get one. So I decide to practice some, and proceed to slice a couple holes in my new Levi's. A week later, I see my buddy. He says "cut yourself yet" I give him that look like he was on crack asking me such a thing. he gives me a look, like "f'ing liar" Of course, the slices in my right rear pocket tell the truth. He just laughs at me.
So, I decide to practice some more one morning after the boss goes to work. I put it my pocket and start my practice draws, getting pretty good at it now, no cuts in my jeans. I decide to speed it up some now. Mind you, my wife just got a whole bedroom set a week prior.
I draw and open it up in lightning speed but hear this strange sound. What the f was that I think to myself--then saw the nice slice on the new bedspread. I'm standing there, saying every cuss word I ever knew and evenmade some new ones. This was the time around Toy Story when The guys sews up Sheriff Woody and I think, I can fix this. So, I get out the handy dandy sewing kit the Mother in Law gave us, every color in the rainbow in it. An hour later and 5 colors of thread, I think, "man, that looks pretty damn good!"

Later that day, she gets home and comes into the bedroom, leans across the bed to smooth out my attempt to make the bed. As she does this, her hand misses the spot by a sliver. Wide eyed and crapping my pants, she aske dme what's wrong, nothing, let's go to the kitchen and make dinner, I'm hungry.

Time passes, and slowly, it leaves my memory.--Until about almost a year later. She calls me at work saying "when where you going to tell me" I'm thinking, man, I've done nothing wrong, go to work, go home, I can't figure out what it is. She ask, "when did you cut the bedspread?" Ooooh, thaat--hey pretty good sew job, huh?

I told her how she almost found it that night------

Hawkeye
01-15-07, 21:35
Mark, that's pretty funny. I've been fortunate and never cut anything I wasnt supposed to with my Emerson Commander.

mark5pt56
01-15-07, 21:55
Mark, that's pretty funny. I've been fortunate and never cut anything I wasnt supposed to with my Emerson Commander.

I sold it before I hurt myself.

Not "Tactical" but a simple folder like the Swiss Army is usefull for alot of chores.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=originalswissarmyknives&product=53941&

SHIVAN
01-15-07, 23:36
Small everyday carry = 707 Sequel.

Otherwise, a Strider.

nyeti
01-16-07, 02:27
Strider here as well. The Zero Tolerance stuff is nice as well. The last Benchmade I ever carried were the old AFCK's. I prefer a heavier duty folder these days.

rob_s
01-16-07, 04:53
I gotta ask, what on earth are you guys doing to these knives that makes you want something "heavier duty"?

I carried a Benchmade Striker around as my work knife for two years, using it to cut chilled water pipe insulation off of pipes, as a pry bar to open ground boxes and turn valves, to cut heads off of extension cords, to open locked doors, etc. and despite a nick or two in the blade and the teflon finish wearing completely off, it's still going strong. I realize that this is pretty mundane work for a "tactical" knife, but it still got abused and held up.

Robb Jensen
01-16-07, 05:03
I gotta ask, what on earth are you guys doing to these knives that makes you want something "heavier duty"?

I just like a rugged well built knife. I have several Benchmades as well. When I need a smaller thinner knife I wear a Benchmade. I use a Strider 99% of the time because I know Mr. Murphy very well and don't like meeting him often, the Strider helps in this regard. :D

I forget who said it but the quote goes like this "Don't trust your life to a $100 knife."

rob_s
01-16-07, 05:24
I forget who said it but the quote goes like this "Don't trust your life to a $100 knife."
Probably somebody that makes $200 knives.:D

DrMark
01-16-07, 07:59

Sorry, but when I read that, my inner voice heard "Hawkeye, do you need a heavy-duty knife?" ;)

Seriously though, Hawkeye if you're looking for more meaningful suggestions you may want to provide some context on what you expect from a carry knife. What a cop carries is likely different from what I carry every day at the office -- I could relate to M4arc's comment about not frightening the people in the office by whipping out something big, tactical, and "scary."

Hawkeye
01-16-07, 08:20
Hey, at least Rob used the correct word of want instead of that other one. :D

I am like GotM4, in that I like a well built solid knife, for all the same reasons I want a well built solid firearm. Murphy follows me around too.
I have been using a Microtech Amphibian for a few years now. Its a nice knife, I just want something different and I want to go back to a manual opener. I like the ZT knives, but the one I want I cant ever find in stock anywhere. I'd like a Strider too, something along the lines of a SMF, but availability on those is hit or miss it seems, and I am not sure I can quite swing the price tag for a Strider at the moment.

rob_s
01-16-07, 08:52
I'm just trying to ascertain if ya'll have actually run the Benchmades to failure (and if so, how?) or whether it's a peace-of-mind thing. I totally understand the desire for quality gear that in many cases is overkill (I just bought this (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/SHOT/IMG_0121Medium-1.jpg) at SHOT ;) ), but I also want to hear stories if people have driven to failure the same gear I own and trust my life to.

Hawkeye
01-16-07, 10:09
I've always had good luck with Benchmades, hence them being in my list of choices to go back to.

militarymoron
01-16-07, 10:52
i use my EDC knives for mundane tasks - being a civvie. cutting cardboard, tape, targets at the range, whatever comes up during the day etc. that being said, i appreciate quality and well-made items, just like anyone else, and it's nice to have something that stays sharp with a locking mechanism that you can trust, and feels good in the hand when you use it.
i've used benchmades for a while, ever since the 970 first came out, and like them. but i've been impressed with the ZT 200 knife i have (writeup here: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/blades.html#zt- both in overall quality and also edge retention for the use it gets. i see it as sort of an in-between knife in price - between the production benchmades/emersons and the higher end ones like strider.

Hawkeye
01-16-07, 11:02
Thanks MM. I really like the 0300. I've been eyeing it for a while, but cant find them in stock anywhere.

militarymoron
01-16-07, 11:43
there's the all-black TAD version, unless you're set on the standard version with green or tan handles and striped blade.

Hawkeye
01-16-07, 12:00
The tan handled one is the one I really wanted. Could care less about the stripes on the blade. I may just try the black 0200 and see how I like it.

Dozer
01-16-07, 16:52
Emerson Knives are damb near indestructible. Can't go wrong with one of those.

FlyingHunter
01-16-07, 19:58
Lot's of good knives out there. I'm a big fan of the Emerson CQC7. I've used it for everything from fixing a PBJ sandwich to caping/quartering caribou. I just wish they made a bright orange version.

edwin907
01-16-07, 22:28
I really really like this Strider I got from my girlfriend for XMAS.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/71549667/original.jpg

Dave L.
01-17-07, 04:16

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/71549667/original.jpg

Dude, Your girlfriend got you a strider for Christmas (Lucky S.O.B.)- you must have been a good boy last year.
I have a strider fixed blade. I have been Issued Benchmade Auto's but I love my Emerson Commander- That B*tch is solid. I carried it 100% of my deployed time and never chipped it...the strider just costs about $200 more but thats bomb proof too (you can get an emerson commander for about $140 w/a military discount- so that makes it well worth it).

Hawkeye
01-17-07, 07:57
edwin907, which model is that and do you know where she got it?

mcgrubbs
01-17-07, 08:21
Call me a "knife-snob" (no really, call me one, I like it), but I carry two Striders everyday/everywhere. I have a Ranger Green SMF in my front right pants pocket. In my left rear pants pocket, I carry a tan PT.

For those that may not know, the SMF is a fairly big folder (9" overall), but it is no problems in jeans, shorts, and cargo-type pants such as Woolrich or 5.11 pants. The PT is approx. 1/3 the size of the SMF.

That's roughly $775 in knives I carry....but I carry more than that in a .45 everyday. Makes sense to me.

edwin907
01-17-07, 08:34
edwin907, which model is that and do you know where she got it?

It's the SMF TANTO Green G10 and it came from Blue Line Gear.

markdeerhunter
01-17-07, 12:07
If you are leaning toward Benchmade I would suggest the Ritter Griptilian S30v steel and a nice profile.I have a Ritter Mini Grip in M2 steel and it is an excellent slicer.

C4IGrant
01-17-07, 12:28
BM is a good option and so is Strider. I hear there is a new Strider dealer on M4C. :D

C4

Hawkeye
01-17-07, 12:43
That is an interesting development...

rob_s
01-17-07, 13:09
What about the Buck Striders? They're available for $80 - $180, although I'm unsure of what determines that price differential.

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/233

edwin907
01-17-07, 13:40
Here's my Strider SNG delivered a few minutes ago by FedEx from Strider Knives where it got newly sharpened.
This is the blade I carry with me on a daily basis.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/73200231/original.jpg

nickdrak
01-17-07, 14:44
I like the ZT knives, but the one I want I cant ever find in stock anywhere.

Hawkeye,

Which model ZT are you looking for? I was at my local Police supply shop last week and they had a few of their blades in-stock.

TUNNEL RAT 33
02-18-07, 21:53
take a look at the emerson bowie . i just got mine and its been with me every minute since . its pretty good for cutting strings and such .

rhino
02-18-07, 23:45
I need a new carry knife. I'm leaning towards going back to a Benchmade. Suggestions? Discuss. :D

If you're wanting a Benchmade . . . here is the new model after which I am currently lusting. It's similar to the Spyderco Manix (which is a fantastic knife in its own right), but it's obviously an original Bob Lum design:

Benchmade 740 "Dejavoo" (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=740)

Resq47
02-19-07, 00:08
What about the Buck Striders? They're available for $80 - $180, although I'm unsure of what determines that price differential.

I bought an 880SPX when Buck had their sale on them last year for a steal. It's been my duty/edc blade since. Not a Strider, but it works for me. It's probably going to be a 'gateway blade' for me on the way to stronger stuff ;)

DrMark
02-19-07, 08:21
If you're wanting a Benchmade . . . here is the new model after which I am currently lusting. It's similar to the Spyderco Manix (which is a fantastic knife in its own right), but it's obviously an original Bob Lum design:

Benchmade 740 "Dejavoo" (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=740)

Wow, I think I'd really like that one.

One thing I really like is the tip-down carry, something I miss from many of the recent Benchmade designs.

cohiba
02-19-07, 10:35
Call me a "knife-snob" (no really, call me one, I like it), but I carry two Striders everyday/everywhere. I have a Ranger Green SMF in my front right pants pocket. In my left rear pants pocket, I carry a tan PT.

For those that may not know, the SMF is a fairly big folder (9" overall), but it is no problems in jeans, shorts, and cargo-type pants such as Woolrich or 5.11 pants. The PT is approx. 1/3 the size of the SMF.

That's roughly $775 in knives I carry....but I carry more than that in a .45 everyday. Makes sense to me.

Yeah, what he said. I only carry one Strider though... but two pistols. ;)

Not a big knife guy in any way. Always had a Benchmade version of an Emerson or whatnot. They make very good knives for the money. But, when I first got my Strider SMF, I realized what all the talk is about. It is a different class and should be for the money.

Didn't know we have a new Strider dealer here :cool: but if you want to see some offerings, I got mine here:

http://www.plazacutlery.com/

Batt 57
02-19-07, 11:02
+1 for Stider...

I use mine for important things like cutting-up day old bread for my 17 year old lab.

http://web.mac.com/sgrasso/iWeb/Site/Shooting_files/DSCN0695.jpg

I also really like Benchmade. I have a few of them including a pre-production river knife and a pre-production Aries. The latter was ruined when my dumb-ass use it to cut open a bag of battery acid.

The Strider SMF is bulletproof and I have a habit of destroying knives at work.

Aubrey
02-19-07, 11:50

edwin907,
Sounds like your girlfriend might be a keeper ;)

Nyeti's endorsement of any knives is something I take seriously. He's certainly not the only hard user that recommends Strider. Their collaborations with the Zero Tolerance line should be good-to-go as well.

If your requirements do not require a folding "sharpened pry bar", then an Emerson might fill the bill nicely. The SOCFK and M-Waves are nice if you can find one. The P-SARK and CQC8 are others that interest me.

I haven't fondled one of the Lone Wolf Harsey folders, but I have great respect for Bill Harsey and suspect that they are good knives.

Not a hard-use candidate, but in the value category I think the Benchmade Griptilian series is hard to beat.

dubb-1
02-21-07, 19:36
Hawk,

Shoot me an e-mail, and I'll try to give you all the info you'll need to make your decision.

DKircher
02-21-07, 19:58

Wow, those look pretty good for the price...really good actually.

Does anyone have any experience with these -http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/473/233.

For $84 I'm kinda leery but they still say Strider on 'em, so I would expect the quality to be there.

rhino
02-21-07, 20:08
Wow, I think I'd really like that one.

One thing I really like is the tip-down carry, something I miss from many of the recent Benchmade designs.

It really is a good looking piece o' cutlery, for sure. With the high blade grind, it's bound to be an excellent cutting tool. I just hope they do an adequate heat treatment to take full advantage of the potential of the CPM S30V. Among others, Buck and Strider use Paul Bos (or at least his "recipe"), which is as good as it gets in the heat treatment of knives business.

Here's another sweet Benchmade Benchmade Model 710 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=710) designed by McHenry & Williams. I don't like it as much as I do the Bob Lum Model 740 aesthetically, but it looks like it would perform about as well.

rob_s
02-21-07, 20:16
Here's another sweet Benchmade Benchmade Model 710 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=710) designed by McHenry & Williams. I don't like it as much as I do the Bob Lum Model 740 aesthetically, but it looks like it would perform about as well.

That's my every day carry knife at work. I really like the knife. The axis lock is absolutely the best lock available on a folder.

rhino
02-21-07, 20:36
My "problem" is that I don't push a Spyderco Endura or a Buck 110 to its limits, so it's tough for me to emotionally accept paying that much for a knife. Intellectually I recognize that it's worth it even at MSRP, but I can't help equating the expenditure to an amount of increasingly precious 5.56x45mm ammo, especially when it would only be a "pride of ownership" thing for me.

If I were going somewhere where I couldn't carry as many knives as I wanted at a time AND I couldn't just get another from home if I had a problem, then buying a boutique folder would be a lot easier to justify to my inner knife buyer. I'd probably go all out and get a CRK Sebenza, though. ;)

nyeti
02-23-07, 13:30
You "don't push a knife to the limit"..................I need to get one of thoose crystal balls. The key is that you never know when a situation will occur when your limit may get upped pretty quick. A bunch of the guys in my old aviation used to make fun of my partner and I for carrying our Striders on our belts. It was a big f*cking joke until our Chief Pilot and Mechanic ended up trapped in a crashed, burning helicopter and were suspended in a manner where they couldn't get their belts off and were in a bunch of wreckage. They were luckily rescued by a couple of good Samaritans prior to the thing exploding. All of a sudden we are buying a Strider for every aircrew member.............

There is a post on another forum about a firefighter who was trapped in a burning room with temps over a thousand degrees. His Strider AR not only survived the plunge from the building, it was used to cut off his burning turnouts, saving him from further significant burns (his airpack and mask were also melted).

I know anther individual who was trapped in a building during an overseas firefight. He was attempting to pry some boards out of the floor of the hut he was in to escape, and his knife broke...................want to venture a guess what knife he took to war from that point on? Starts with an S and ends in an R.

There are also many other good high quality knife makers out there who make great cutting tools and are great folks to deal with. Bill Harsey, Jerry Hossum, Ken Brock, Grayman knives (Le/Mil. only, super ugly, very tough, and fairly cheap for the size). Chris Reeves makes great stuff, I also have a ton of Emerson stuff as well. Knives are one of those things that I don't skimp on.

SinnFéinM1911
02-23-07, 16:02
My day to day carry knife is the EW-04 - The Delta folding model by Surefire... its pretty rugged !!

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/317/prrfnbr/24381

TREE
02-24-07, 02:47

I've been carrying this one for the last 3-4 of years. Yeah, it's a little on the bulky side (IWB), and the edges of the handle needed some sanding as they were sharpish. On the plus side it's built like an A-10.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/taterstyle/DSCN0973-1.jpg

TREE
02-24-07, 03:05
Wow, those look pretty good for the price...really good actually.

Does anyone have any experience with these -http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/473/233.

For $84 I'm kinda leery but they still say Strider on 'em, so I would expect the quality to be there.

I have no experience with them, but they are available here for $50
http://www.gpknives.com/item/buck-strider-sbmf-military-folder-black.html

nickdrak
02-24-07, 04:34
Anyone looking for a BIG folder, should take a look at the Emerson "Super SOCFK" from ExtremeOutfitters.
I think this one will be replacing my Emerson Commander as my EDC blade:
http://i15.tinypic.com/33nuwzt.jpg

Hawkeye
02-24-07, 08:06
Anyone looking for a BIG folder, should take a look at the Emerson "Super SOCFK" from ExtremeOutfitters.
I think this one will be replacing my Emerson Commander as my EDC blade:
http://i15.tinypic.com/33nuwzt.jpg

I love my Commander and have been looking at Emersons again. Does that one have a V edge of chisel?

Aubrey
02-24-07, 08:54
I love my Commander and have been looking at Emersons again. Does that one have a V edge of chisel?

Emerson tantos are chisel grinds.

baffle Stack
02-24-07, 12:04
This Griptilian is next on my list

http://www.equipped.org/rsk_mk1.htm

nickdrak
02-24-07, 12:27
Emerson tantos are chisel grinds.

Correct. I really like this one to, but it will sit in the safe for now!
http://i18.tinypic.com/2ufaix5.jpg

DKircher
02-24-07, 23:38
I have no experience with them, but they are available here for $50
http://www.gpknives.com/item/buck-strider-sbmf-military-folder-black.html

Ooh, nice find! Thanks for the heads up.

Now I'm definately snagging one.

Hawkeye
02-28-07, 14:07
I was looking at my Emerson Commander last night, and realized that I have had it for a few years, but havent checked out Emersons website in some time. I did today and noticed that there are about 3 different knives that I REALLY like. Whats the general opinion of Emerson stuff? I havent used my Commander much in the few years I have had it, so I dont know how well it will really hold up, or if there are any issues with Emerson to be aware of.

rob_s
02-28-07, 14:44
There are quite a few Emerson blade designs that I'm partial to as well.

nickdrak
02-28-07, 17:03
Emersons are as good as it gets for a production heavy duty folder. I bought my first Emerson (CQC-7 Spearpoint) in 2000 before ever hearing of the company. I saw it at a local knife shop, and it looked and felt like a quality knife. I was right! I have been a loyal Emerson blade owner ever since. The "Wave" feature has only made me more loyal. Additionally, Emerson is a great American company that stands behind its products 100%
http://i18.tinypic.com/440eom0.jpg

usmcgrunt
02-28-07, 20:52
IMO it depends on what you are gonna use it for! Down right EDC for all kinds of sh*t I'd go with Strider! If it breaks they fix it, if it needs shapening they'll sharpen it! I know cause it happened to me! While in California last July I stopped by Striders shop and had all my blades worked on/sharpened! I even had a broken tip and instead of getting me a new one(and waiting 2 weeks which they were willing to do for FREE) Rob got to work on making a new and even harder tip by re-grinding the hole blade! If you ask me thats some of the BEST customer service I have seen in a while! Tip is holding up great too!

Now I even have some Emerson's too! I have used Emersons for a while and I love the Wave feature and have had to use it in a bind as well! Quickest knife I own! I liked the Wave so much I got 2 of Mr Emerson's customs a CQC 5 and a CQC 6 both Waved!

If you need a lead on getting any of these knives give me a holler and I will see what I can do to help you out! Good Luck in your search! Its like I say "My life and the life of my family may depend on what I carry some day, so why not carry the best!" Its my opinion only!

Grunt Out!

First pic is on my Brother's SMF 2nd Gen(Top) and mine Gen 1 (Bottom)
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2614/pict0996ts2.jpg

Top CQC 5 Waved (Top) and CQC 6 Waved (Bottom)
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/704/img0983dr1.jpg