PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6940 vs. S&W MP15X?

9Y10C
06-12-09, 20:50
Just received a new Colt LE6940 today and it is a great looking rifle. However, I'm very disappointed with the looseness between the upper and lower. Easy to feel the wobble and seems excessive to me. When compared side-by-side with my S&W MP15X, the Colt fit seems very sloppy while the Smith is absolutely rock-solid and has no "feelable" play at all between the upper/lower. Also, the Colt trigger is the worst I have ever felt. The creep toward break is rough and excessively long. Haven't had a chance to shoot the new one, so can't compare with the Smith yet. Anybody else out there had similar experience with the new Colts? Suggestions?

Skter505
06-12-09, 20:58
The trigger will get better with use and the fit between upper/lower is a non issue, does not hinder reliability at all.

TriumphRat675
06-12-09, 21:05
I had a similar experience. I bought an early serial number S&W (when they were made by Stag). After finding this site I sold it and bought a 6920. The S&W's fit was much tighter - so much so that I had to use a punch to disassemble it. The 6920 was so loose it felt sloppy.

I got a little sand in my vagina about it and said so on this forum. The response was to shut up and shoot it. That's what I did, and it quit bugging me after 1,000 trouble free rounds.

The bottom line for me is that the Colt is made to a standard and my Stag&W wasn't. So long as it's in spec...go shoot the shit out of it and let us know if it still bugs you after 1,000 rounds.

As for the trigger, put a few drops of CLP on the lockwork and give it a whirl. It's not a match target rifle. If it still bugs you after you break the gun in, well, that's what gunsmiths are for.

9Y10C
06-12-09, 21:31
I had a similar experience. I bought an early serial number S&W (when they were made by Stag). After finding this site I sold it and bought a 6920. The S&W's fit was much tighter - so much so that I had to use a punch to disassemble it. The 6920 was so loose it felt sloppy.

I got a little sand in my vagina about it and said so on this forum. The response was to shut up and shoot it. That's what I did, and it quit bugging me after 1,000 trouble free rounds.

The bottom line for me is that the Colt is made to a standard and my Stag&W wasn't. So long as it's in spec...go shoot the shit out of it and let us know if it still bugs you after 1,000 rounds.

As for the trigger, put a few drops of CLP on the lockwork and give it a whirl. It's not a match target rifle. If it still bugs you after you break the gun in, well, that's what gunsmiths are for.Thanks guys. Even without shooting it, I feel better already about the little horsey gun. Listening to experience always helps us...

theorangecat
06-13-09, 05:57
The bottom line for me is that the Colt is made to a standard and my Stag&W wasn't.

Which is more or less why a recent production M&P15 is now sitting on the local consignment rack and a Colt (or something of similar quality) will be taking its place. I decided that as long as I had to live with with the itching and burning sensations caused by intra-uterine sand (aka: disappointment in loose upper/lower fit), I might as well have the 1:7 barrel and the rest of the standards by way of compensation.

sundance435
06-13-09, 16:43
My 6940 has some looseness between the receivers. I was a little disappointed at first to, but I got it at a great price, so I can't really complain.