PDA

View Full Version : Troy folding sight - how much should it wobble?

gjj
06-12-09, 21:55
I just installed a Troy rear folding sight on my M4 carbine. In the up position, it wobbles fore and aft quite a bit.

Does your Troy sight do that?

How much wobble is acceptable on a $140 sight?

Dunderway
06-12-09, 22:04
Does the sight wobble within it's mechanism, or does it wobble on your rail interface? I would find neither acceptable, but if it's the latter your upper could be to blame and not the sight. Troy's CS is supposed to be top notch, so I would email them for a quick solution.

thopkins22
06-12-09, 22:16
What's "quite a bit?"one or two degrees? Ten? There's a difference. What you might find to be quite a bit may be within the acceptable range(which I don't know what that is,) I may think it's miniscule and not worth worrying about.

Mine moves a little bit, but very slightly. It's been banged around pretty hard and I'm incapable of shooting well enough to notice any issues.

For the record it always moved very slightly, being banged around has not caused an increase.

yellowthunder
06-12-09, 22:43
Same here, my sight has a little play fore and aft. I'm talking about at most a total of maybe 1/16".

thopkins22
06-12-09, 22:51
...at most a total of maybe 1/16".

About how much mine moves.

jwinch2
06-12-09, 23:23
About how much mine moves.

Same here. I was very surprised by that as well. I'm glad to hear that some others have experienced the same thing but am still a bit curious if it is supposed to be that way...

SWATcop556
06-12-09, 23:42
Mine will move some but very little. I would not consider it an issue unless it begins to affect your zero. Troy is quality kit. I wouldn't sweat it.

gjj
06-13-09, 00:20
It does not move on the rail. It is movement in the "locked" up position. I would say it moves 1/4".

Dunderway
06-13-09, 01:09
I'm a little surprised to hear that this is normal for the Troy, but I guess if it does not affect function than it doesn't matter. My cheap MBUS didn't move much at all, and my Larue (non folding) has zero movement.

carbinero
06-13-09, 01:28
Mine moves about the same. I also was concerned at first, now I'm not. Fore and aft is not really a big deal, when you think about it. Mine also has a tiny bit of play side to side--maybe 1/4 of fore/aft movement--but again, it worries me not a bit. Besides, it's a BUIS, not primary. When BUIS is primary (PIS?), it oughta be a Larue.

shadco
06-13-09, 05:46
It does not move on the rail. It is movement in the "locked" up position. I would say it moves 1/4".

it moves 1/4 inch?

That's too much are you sure the locking pins are engaged?

SkiDevil
06-13-09, 10:28
Does the sight wobble within it's mechanism, or does it wobble on your rail interface? I would find neither acceptable, but if it's the latter your upper could be to blame and not the sight. Troy's CS is supposed to be top notch, so I would email them for a quick solution.

When I purchased my Troy Battle sight the attachment point to the rail was slightly out of spec. The smaller piece which clamps the base onto the rail on the opposite side of the main (large) part. I called TROY and they offerred to replace.

Replaced part and sight works fine now, Yes, TROY's CS is excellent.:D

SkiDevil

P.S My sight moves slightly in the locked position as well. But considering that I can regularly hit targets at over 200 yds with the sights it doe not concern me.

Fireglock
06-13-09, 13:45
I just checked mine and while I can force it to move back a fraction of an inch it snaps back forward when I remove the reward pressure. It has nothing that could be labeled wobble.

If it flopped around then I'd be concerned but having movement when using force doesn't concern me in this instance and location.

ballsout
06-14-09, 02:21
mine locks solid. doubt even striking with a hammer will budge it. call troy.

SwatDawg15
06-14-09, 05:22

Where did you buy it? There are some chicom clones out there. Make sure you have a real Troy, and if you do, call them. They will replace it quickly.

boganz45
06-14-09, 17:37
Troy's CS is top notch. Nothing but good things to say about the company and their products.

gjj
06-14-09, 21:39
I bought it from Brownells. I threw away the box. But, I will call Troy in the AM tomorrow.

Suber
06-14-09, 21:43
My front and rear Troy folding battle sights lock in tight and dont move much at all.

.45fmjoe
06-14-09, 23:11
Mine is so ****ing tight I have to really yank on it to move it from the folded position to the upright position. Methinks tolerance stacking has won this round.

CryingWolf
06-14-09, 23:16
M&P15A with the Troy rear sight. Mine moves forward and back a little not side to side. And no movement at the base. I am unconcerned with the movement I don't think it affects accuracy at all. I have an Eotech so I use the Troy as a BUIS.

grizzlyblake
10-07-17, 06:55
I just bought a set of Troys from Amazon that were sold through Primary Arms. I've not owned them before but they seem very loose.

This is NOT my video, but both my front and rear move this much, as well as front to back even more. Is this normal or did I get counterfeits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtgh7Gi4XbY

Animalhd1
10-07-17, 07:17
All my Troys do that. No worries IMHO. Shoot it, fold sight a few times, shoot more. If it holds zero it's good.

ace4059
10-07-17, 23:21
Or call Brownells. They also have great CS and their forever guarantee. They will make it right.

CLee0509
10-07-17, 23:29
My Troy rear sight doesn't have any side to side play but has slight play when locked up front and back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
10-07-17, 23:50
You'll probably get better results not posting in a thread over 8 years old. I'd also consider contacting Troy first as well.

I just bought a set of Troys from Amazon that were sold through Primary Arms. I've not owned them before but they seem very loose.

This is NOT my video, but both my front and rear move this much, as well as front to back even more. Is this normal or did I get counterfeits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtgh7Gi4XbY