PDA

View Full Version : How to check status with batfe

floyd
06-12-09, 22:33
I have seen post stating their transfer is under review with the BATFE. How does one check thier status?

ginarik
06-13-09, 02:11
304-616-4500

The only info they need to look up the status is the serial # of the item and your name.

floyd
06-13-09, 08:33
Thank You.

markm
06-13-09, 08:56
I don't know why people insist on doing this.

If the check clears, you know they have received the papers. For some reason there's an obsession on when one's shit goes pending. I don't know why this info is of any value.

Kimbo
06-13-09, 11:29
::shrugs:: Who knows, I just submit my stuff and try to forget about it, that way when the Form 4 comes back it's like Christmas.

Detective_D
06-14-09, 11:36
I am just waiting for "Christmas" myself. I have one sent in that should be done within the next two weeks.....at least by the way other peoples are going here lately.

I am not going to call though. I know they have it because my check is cashed. When it gets done, I will know it...that is all I need....but I am not everyone else though. So, I am not faulting everyone else that wants to know.
~D

floyd
06-14-09, 20:10
Wow! MARKM that was a odd reply. I did not expect that. Have you ever looked in front of a line you were standing in? I do it all the time. I find satifaction in knowing where I stand. Anyway, it would be nice if there was a sure fire way to track the progress of a transfer and expected delivery date. I bet my ranch up here in Montana you would look it up you computer commando. Thanks again. I hope you know the "computer commando" was just a jerk on your chain.

SWATcop556
06-15-09, 01:05
"Pending" now does not have the same meaning as "pending" say, a year ago.

It use to be that "pending" meant that you had about another 2-3 week wait, unofficially.

My last Form 1 was pending for almost 6 weeks. Best bet is to just sit it out and wait. ATF is seriously back-logged on NFA items right and they are still cranking them out as fast as they can. I just try to pretend that I'm not waiting on anything.

Oh, and you'll have to forgive markm. He knows his shit, but can be an aquired taste. I personally have leaned a lot from him. :cool:

floyd
06-15-09, 08:36
I have no other choice other than to hurry up and wait. I am truly wollering in the fact that I "kinda" of finally own a full auto. I hate to sound immature, but I feel like a kid again. I have more energy, need less sleep, golfing in the low 80s and I think the girl in the coffee shop has been checking me out.
All joking aside, owning an M16 has been one of my goals in life and I am excited. The sad thing is that it is finally summer here in Montana and I want it to hurry by so I can get my gun. I have to be carefull what I wish for, winter does come fast here. Well, at least I will be able to shoot some tracers without setting Montana on fire.
Thanks guys, by the way, my check was cashed 6/12 I mailed 6/11 (overnight) of course.

COLT6933
06-15-09, 09:01
I call and check the status once it reaches the 100 day mark.

SHIVAN
06-15-09, 09:17
Wow! MARKM that was a odd reply. I did not expect that. Have you ever looked in front of a line you were standing in? I do it all the time. I find satifaction in knowing where I stand. Anyway, it would be nice if there was a sure fire way to track the progress of a transfer and expected delivery date. I bet my ranch up here in Montana you would look it up you computer commando. Thanks again. I hope you know the "computer commando" was just a jerk on your chain.

Calling them tells you nothing in regards to your status. In fact, they aren't even quoting expected turnaround due to their workload.

You'll learn one of these three statuses, and it actually won't tell you anything about the length of time from the call until the form gets to you:

1) Not in the system.

2) Pending on X date.

3) Approved.

or alternately:

4) Being returned for errors.

5) Rejected.

Your check can clear and you may not be in the registry system for a couple to several weeks afterwards. You may go pending and you could transition to approved immediately (unlikely), or you could be in pending for a few to several weeks, or months. You can be told you're approved, and it may take 1-3 weeks to actually get the form back.

The status does not tell you where you are in line, as you can be pending as of May 8th, but there may be 24,000 forms ahead of you -- or three -- they won't say.

You can call, but I just wait it out now. I did call recently because I sold a SF suppressor to a man in Ohio. I felt obligated to give him a solid update, even if it doesn't mean anything overall, directly from the NFA.

gk2410
06-15-09, 10:17
I checked only once on my first can. Guy who answered seemed frustrated and commented that they get hundreds of calls a day. Got me to thinking that I we stayed off the phone maybe, just maybe, they could put that person to work getting the paperwork actually done. I agree that once I know the check clears and its in the system, I'll just be patient and wait. None of these calls do anything to move our transfers along any quicker.

LOKNLOD
06-15-09, 10:21
I checked only once on my first can. Guy who answered seemed frustrated and commented that they get hundreds of calls a day. Got me to thinking that I we stayed off the phone maybe, just maybe, they could put that person to work getting the paperwork actually done. I agree that once I know the check clears and its in the system, I'll just be patient and wait. None of these calls do anything to move our transfers along any quicker.

I've wondered that too....how much time spent answering calls is wasted rather than spent actually processing paperwork?

eltorito71
06-15-09, 10:24
I figure if they can't give me any true specifics then why bother. I put a note on my calender four months from the day my check cleared. I figure if I haven't heard anything by then, I might give them a call.

SHIVAN
06-15-09, 13:23
They pay staff specifically to answer the phone and check status, so unless you demand to speak to your examiner or the group supervisors you are not actually taking time from the people "doing the approvals".

However, as I already said, they are not really giving you useful information when you do call, unless the vague status report is what you were seeking to begin with...