PDA

View Full Version : Effective 55gr. Loads?

BushmasterFanBoy
06-13-09, 00:16
I'm stuck using a 1/9" barrel for the time being, as well as having a significant stock of M193 spec ammo and would like to use a load for home-defense/SHTF that has the same zero as my practice ammo.

I've been looking around, and so far the ideal loads of 75-77gr. rounds reign supreme. But unfortunately, it would be very difficult for me to afford practice ammo of the same weights, let alone I doubt my barrel would stabilize them.

So, considering this, I've decided to look for some 55gr. loads for personal defense in my carbine. So far, I've seen the bonded loads from Federal that perform great on intermediate barriers and offer improved initial disruption over M193 to boot. Everything else seems to be varmint loads with woefully inadequate penetration.

Are there some commonly available, personal defense oriented, 55gr. loads that I'm missing? I'd hate to pay for barrier penetration ammunition when I'm really just looking for a round with improved initial disruption and adequate penetration.
:confused:

thopkins22
06-13-09, 00:19
I'm no ballistic guru, but your twist rate shouldn't prevent you from accurately firing bullets that are in the 60gr. range. Many of those offer significantly improved penetration than the 55gr. stuff.

ETA: m193 and 55gr TAP zero very close in my 1/7s. The info I've seen doesn't inspire confidence regarding it's penetration though.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-13-09, 00:25
I'm no ballistic guru, but your twist rate shouldn't prevent you from accurately firing bullets that are in the 60gr. range. Many of those offer significantly improved penetration than the 55gr. stuff.

Do they have practice loads that have similar zeros? I saw some nicely performing rounds in the 60-69 gr. range, but I couldn't find any cheaper ammo with the same weights for practice. :confused: A big obstacle that I'm facing is that my carbine is primarily a range gun first and foremost, and a defensive gun second. A defensive round that performs great won't do me much good when my gun is zeroed for a different, cheaper load that I shoot at the range.

DocGKR
06-13-09, 04:56
Did you read this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881???

It seems to list several loads that will work in 1/9 twist weapons, including a couple of 55 gr loads...

BushmasterFanBoy
06-13-09, 09:02
Did you read this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881???

It seems to list several loads that will work in 1/9 twist weapons, including a couple of 55 gr loads...

I saw in testing that the 55gr. TSX load (T223S) also features deep penetration, much like the 55gr. bonded JSP load (LE223T1). But I've been unable so far to find any comparisons of it's initial disruption in tissue.

From the tests I've seen, the LE223T1 seems to be great at both initial disruption and deep penetration. Would this be the recommended load if stuck with 55gr. options? :confused:

Also, is the P223s the appropriate civy counterpart to the T223s?

Rampant Colt
06-13-09, 21:48
1/9 barrel will effectively accomodate 62-64gr bullets as well

W-W 64gr Power Point SP
Corbon 55gr DPX
Federal 55gr Partition
Federal 55gr & 64gr Tru
Federal 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
Federal 62gr JSP Tactical (LE223T3)
Hornady 75gr TAP <---may or may not stabilize
55gr M193