PDA

View Full Version : Romanian SS109 Ammo

Iraqgunz
06-13-09, 08:59
Has anyone here bought this Romanian 5.56 SS109 ammunition before? The price isn't terrible considering. I have fired some Romanian 9mm before and seemed to shoot fine.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/800rds-556-hotshot-ss109-62gr-penetrator-ammo/cName/223-556-fmj-ammo

Iraqgunz
06-15-09, 17:05
Nobody here has bought any of this ammo and tried it out? Really?

SeriousStudent
06-15-09, 18:17
Deleted.

Iraqgunz
06-15-09, 18:32
Ok. So who cares if it's berdan or boxer? I am not a reloader. Just curious what difference it makes.

I have not shot any, but looked at the link. The primer pockets concern me. I read this part on the page:

"The box that this ammo comes in says that it is berdan primed, but I pulled the bullet on some and they were boxer primed, so I think the box is misprinted."

With my luck, I would get the cases that were correctly labeled.

cptx123
06-15-09, 18:40
If you buy it, get it from centuryarms it should be cheaper there.

DRich
06-15-09, 22:40
I have used a lot of HotShot ammo in various other milsurp calibers (8mm, 6.5x55, .303, etc) and have found it to be very reliable. Also, the velocities have been fairly consistent over my chrono, which usually means the mfg is paying attention.

I've not tried the SS109 loads, but I'm tempted to give it a try. Would love to get some feedback before I order a case, though.

tinman44
06-15-09, 22:47
I'm tempted to give it a try. Would love to get some feedback before I order a case, though.

ditto

Bimmer
06-16-09, 04:38
Ok. So who cares if it's berdan or boxer? I am not a reloader. Just curious what difference it makes.

A lot.

It's virtually impossible reload berdan cases, and once-fired boxer-primed cases sell for 10¢ apiece or so.

So, if it's berdan-primed, it's worth 10¢/round less than boxer-primed ammo.

Even if you're not going to reload yourself, it'd be easy enough to collect and keep your once-fired brass and then sell it for almost $100/1,000 — that's a fourth of the price of the ammo!

Given that boxer-primed Centurion is going for 35-40¢/round, I can't see paying more than 25-30¢/round for non-reloadable berdan-primed (or steel-cased) ammo.

Bimmer

Iraqgunz
06-16-09, 06:38
Bimmer,

I don't reload so it's no big deal to me (I am sure that a reloader cares) I don't.

I also don't worry about collecting up my fired brass to sell it.

The ammo appears to be brass cased in the pictures that I have seen.

I have read that the Centurion stuff wasn't all that great. Maybe I missed something.

The ammo is still cheaper than buying Federal M193 and as cheap as PMC. My main concern is "I pull trigger gun go bang".

A lot.

It's virtually impossible reload berdan cases, and once-fired boxer-primed cases sell for 10¢ apiece or so.

So, if it's berdan-primed, it's worth 10¢/round less than boxer-primed ammo.

Even if you're not going to reload yourself, it'd be easy enough to collect and keep your once-fired brass and then sell it for almost $100/1,000 — that's a fourth of the price of the ammo!

Given that boxer-primed Centurion is going for 35-40¢/round, I can't see paying more than 25-30¢/round for non-reloadable berdan-primed (or steel-cased) ammo.

Bimmer

DRich
06-16-09, 08:45
A lot.

I've been reloading berdan cases for 20yrs. It's not difficult, but primers can be tough to find at times. Of course, the same is true for boxer primers right now.

Bimmer
06-16-09, 16:07
I also don't worry about collecting up my fired brass to sell it.

The ammo is still cheaper than buying Federal M193 and as cheap as PMC. My main concern is "I pull trigger gun go bang".

So you can't be bothered to pick up your brass, but you're price-sensitive enough to buy Romanian or PMC ammo instead of M193?

Just think of spent casings as dimes laying on the ground — as much as you shoot, you're letting a lot of money lay.

Also, does Centurion not pass the "I pull trigger gun go bang" test?

Bimmer

DRich
06-16-09, 16:10
So you can't be bothered to pick up your brass, but you're price-sensitive enough to buy Romanian or PMC ammo instead of M193?

I doubt many guys in Iraq are policing their brass on a regular basis.

Bimmer
06-16-09, 16:17

Of course, I'm not saying that anybody in combat should stop and pick up brass, but AFAIK Iraq Guns is shooting in training situations.

In that situation, especially if he (and others) shoots from one spot and the brass is piling up around them, it hardly makes sense to leave it laying there...

Again, think of the dimes metaphor: you wouldn't walk away from a pile of dimes, would you? You wouldn't throw a bucketfull of dimes in the trash, would you?

Bimmer

Iraqgunz
06-16-09, 16:45
DRich,

Just to clarify the ammo would be for my ever growing TEOTWAWKI stash not for here in country.

Iraqgunz
06-16-09, 16:48
Bimmer,

I won't buy the PMC because it shoots dirtier than most. I also would prefer a heavier bullet i.e. the Romanian ammo over the others if possible. Since I have never fired it before I would like to get some feedback first before I drop a thousand dollars on mediocre ammo.

I think I remember hearing or reading some reports about the Centurion stuff hence my reluctancy. Oh yeah, and I am spolied.

Just think of spent casings as dimes laying on the ground — as much as you shoot, you're letting a lot of money lay.

Also, does Centurion not pass the "I pull trigger gun go bang" test?

Bimmer

Bimmer
06-17-09, 02:46
DRich,

Just to clarify the ammo would be for my ever growing TEOTWAWKI stash not for here in country.

Yeah, this makes perfect sense, especially if it comes in a sealed can...

Otherwise, yes, it does sound like you are spoiled!

Bimmer

No Bananas
07-05-09, 02:06
So, has anybody tried it and how did it work?

kaiservontexas
07-05-09, 12:21
I am curious about this myself. I like the sealed spam cans of ammo. Saves me money on ammo cans.

MODiesel
10-19-10, 13:31
Yeah, I know...old thread. But Ammo2go has this stuff at a fairly deep discount ($190/800rd), and I was trying to find out what the generaly concensus was.

Iraqgunz, did you ever pick any up to evaluate?