PDA

View Full Version : Question about Noveske seconds

Rated21R
06-13-09, 09:00
Is there anything wrong with using a Noveske factory second as a lower in a build? I see places selling them for about half the price of stripped Noveske lower and I was just curious. Or is a lower is a lower is a lower and just use a RRA or something similar?

4thPointOfContact
06-13-09, 09:28
That would depend on why it was seconded.

Factory cosmetic blemish or it got scratched.....go for it.
Trigger pin drilled at an angle instead of straight.... don't do it.

Robb Jensen
06-13-09, 09:30
The Noveske 2nds I've seen come through the shop just had cosmetic flaws.
Mostly uneven roll marks.

randolph
06-13-09, 09:47
The Noveske 2nds I've seen come through the shop just had cosmetic flaws.
Mostly uneven roll marks.

this.
I picked up one from Rainer, I believe.
the only thing we could find was the roll mark was lighter on one side.
very obvious when compared to my Noveske direct Rifle.

Rated21R
06-13-09, 11:36
this.
I picked up one from Rainer, I believe.
the only thing we could find was the roll mark was lighter on one side.
very obvious when compared to my Noveske direct Rifle.

but that will in no way hinder the rifles performance, correct?

brianc142
06-13-09, 12:02
but that will in no way hinder the rifles performance, correct?
Correct.

Rated21R
06-13-09, 13:10
one more stupid question. why wouldn't this be a good deal (if it's just a cosmetic flaw)?

pacifico
06-13-09, 13:14
Some people are more picky than others when it comes to cosmetics, for various reasons.

A Noveske blemished lower may be my next purchase.

Rated21R
06-13-09, 13:21
yeah, i just thought if it was easier to locate an upper you could just build yourself a Noveske (as close as you could I guess) and use the flawed lower and save a bit of money.

rljatl
06-13-09, 14:03
Just bought one of these Noveske blems. Should be delivered Monday or Tuesday. $169.95 seemed like a decent deal to me.

http://sgcusa.com/AR-15-Components-Lower-Receivers/c4_200/p3101/Noveske-Stripped-Lower-Receiver-Blem-Grade/product_info.html

randolph
06-13-09, 20:35
i think i paid $225 for my blem, but I was buying the rollmark to match the noveske upper I had...:D

PlatoCATM
06-13-09, 22:14
The matching rollmarks would be the only incentive for buying a noveske stripped lower, blemished or otherwise, for a premium over any other stripped lower. You still lack the quality of a noveske LPK if you settle and install an available RRA/CMT/DPMS LPK.

VLODPG
06-13-09, 22:49
The matching rollmarks would be the only incentive for buying a noveske stripped lower, blemished or otherwise, for a premium over any other stripped lower. You still lack the quality of a noveske LPK if you settle and install an available RRA/CMT/DPMS LPK.

IIRC, Noveske uses CMT parts (BCG's & LPK's)

C4IGrant
06-15-09, 09:05
Is there anything wrong with using a Noveske factory second as a lower in a build? I see places selling them for about half the price of stripped Noveske lower and I was just curious. Or is a lower is a lower is a lower and just use a RRA or something similar?

Nothing wrong with them. They just do not meet Noveske's rigid standards (which is generally above everyone elses).

We have some in stock and if I put them agains the none factory 2nds, most people would not be able to tell a difference.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=RCVR_BLEM

C4

SpaceGhost
06-15-09, 09:48
Good 2 Go, cosmetic only. From what I've sen the rollmarks are a little light

Cincinnatus
06-15-09, 10:51
yeah, i just thought if it was easier to locate an upper you could just build yourself a Noveske (as close as you could I guess) and use the flawed lower and save a bit of money.

These guys sell Uppers straight from Noveske and have them in stock. http://www.omniguns.com/
(You have to email them about it since it is not listed on site.)

Rated21R
06-15-09, 10:57
they must be hiding them. :confused:

I see you just came in with a ninja edit...got it.

hokahay
06-15-09, 13:28
Just bought one of these Noveske blems. Should be delivered Monday or Tuesday. $169.95 seemed like a decent deal to me.

http://sgcusa.com/AR-15-Components-Lower-Receivers/c4_200/p3101/Noveske-Stripped-Lower-Receiver-Blem-Grade/product_info.html

I bought one from that same lot. It had an E prefix. Neither the gal at the FFL that received it, nor I could find anything wrong with it. The only blem I could find was the 2 stamped inside indicating it to be a second. The roll mark looks great. I had a local gunsmith ( with previous marine corps experience! ) assemble it from an maparts LPK. It was the only place that I could find that had them in stock available at the time. The stock was milspec LMT and the grip a TD. He did an outstanding job. 47 bucks. I mated it to one of the N4 light carbine basic uppers that Noveske recently had for sale.

rljatl
06-15-09, 17:43
Noveske told me that they rate their lowers as seconds BEFORE they have been anodized/Parkerized. So the anodizing/Parkerizing covers up cosmetic blems.

Another dealer told me that this explains why the blems he's seen actually look better than some of the non-blem lowers.

bkb0000
06-15-09, 17:53
noveske would be making money on these if they sold them at $100 a pop.. so they have no problem listing something as a "second" if it shows ANY sign of imperfection.

i've really considered replacing all my lowers with these... but it'd be for nothing more than vanity sake, and that's gay.

but i dont see any reason not to use these for any and every build i do from now on, for at least as long as they're available.

its a buy! if you want an expensive lower.

DrMark
06-15-09, 21:43
If worried, perhaps you should ask the vendor or Noveske if the lowers' status as "seconds" means they cannot be exchanged if there is a non-cosmetic issue.

I bought two semi-complete Noveske lowers in 2007. One was fine, but one had a dimensional problem.

It's a possibility with any stripped lower. If that risk concerns you, ask the vendor/manufacturer.

randolph
06-15-09, 21:48

I used a Colt LPK, I think Im okay :p

Rated21R
06-16-09, 00:00
thanks for all the info. i will check into these for sure.

rljatl
06-18-09, 18:54
Brownell's now sells Colt LPKs for ~$90 sans FCG and grip. Of course, they're not in stock.

RojasTKD
06-18-09, 22:29
My question is why are Noveske non-blem lowers so freaking expensive? I know Noveske makes great stuff and all quality, but for the most part a lower is a lower.

I guess if I had a Noveske upper I'd be willing to pay a little more for a "matching" lower. I guess the blem lowers would be my choice in a Noveske as it a bit more reasonable. Hopefully there still around when I get to my next build (hopefully with a matching Noveske upper).

DMR
06-19-09, 12:32
Grant,

If you ever get a "Second" Noveske/MAGPUL lower I'd like to be the first on the waiting list.:D

Agile53
06-19-09, 12:49
Yes and after DMR, call me #2 on the wait list for a Noveske/MP lower "second".

10-24-09, 02:49
Old thread, but thought I should mention I just received an "E" series blem lower from 44mag.com. The ONLY problem I could find was a bit of a wave in the anodizing where the receiver extension lines up. Otherwise perfect.

$150 or so shipped.

Darkop
10-24-09, 16:02
I have seen several Noveske lowers and just picked up a blemed lower. I personally don't think that there is any blem to it. What I noticed is that the finish is a shinier black than what Noveske's normally look like. I personally think that they must of had a run of shiny black lowers. Most of the older Noveske N4 & N6 lowers that I have seen were more of a flat black Parkerized looking finish. My blem lower is much shinier than my Lo Pro Reece upper and doesn't match.

None of this bothers me in the least, since it is already fairly scratched up going to the ground in urban prone and banging against barricades.

WHat do you think? Could it just be a color thing?

Until that day,
Darkop

mkmckinley
10-26-09, 19:41
I just picked one up from Rainier Arms (top notch customer service btw) and couldn't for the life of me find the blemish. The finish wasn't noticeably shiny compared to the N4 upper I put on it, either.

Mark71
10-26-09, 22:24
I got my E series blem lower from Grant about a month or so ago and with the exception of a very light scuff near the rollmark the lower is in excellent condition and looks nicer then my non-blem Noveske lower. It matches up with my upper perfectly.

Cincinnatus
10-26-09, 23:27
Currently, if you buy a rifle or upper from Noveske you get a FREE blem Lower. I have seen these blemed Lowers in person and I tell you you'd be hard pressed to figure out what's blemed. You certainly wouldn't know it if you weren't told it was a blem. :p

hokahay
10-27-09, 15:15
Currently, if you buy a rifle or upper from Noveske you get a FREE blem Lower. I have seen these blemed Lowers in person and I tell you you'd be hard pressed to figure out what's blemed. You certainly wouldn't know it if you weren't told it was a blem. :p

I have one of each. A blem with a 70 dollar LPK and BCM RE. And a non-blem or whatever you call it with a colt LPK Vltor Stock and RE and even a colt castle nut, hahaha.

The only real difference is the 2 stamped on the inside back deck on the blem indicating a blemish. Apparently the blem stamp is the blem on mine.

cgcorrea
11-30-09, 16:57
What's a roll mark?

Ak44
11-30-09, 17:28
Roll mark is usually referencing a logo, in this case the Noveske roll mark would be the X or Cross or whatever you want to call it :cool:

cgcorrea
12-01-09, 05:19
thanks bro.

Surf
12-01-09, 19:17
Yikes! Good thing I noticed this was an old thread, I was about to pass out at the prices people were paying.

I am getting the blems for around $100 now.

Kiznelly
12-01-09, 19:42
I have purchased 6 of the Noveske 2nd stripped lowers. All had serial numbers under 3100, no prefix.

The only flaw I found was waves inside the magazine well, all the ones I picked through had them. I just focused on finish and rollmark. I got them for $150 OTD. I kept two to build on.

The finish on the blems are better than ANY other stripped lower I have handled.

Bushmaster
Olympic
Aero Precision
Spikes (Aero Precision)
Tactical Innovations
Stag
American Spirit Arms
Superior Arms

All I handled from the above (2 of each) are second rate to a Noveske 2nd.

I will buy another, but I am really digging the Aero Precision lowers for $89, they are a very close second on the above list.

Chillin'
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/scrateshooter/Gats003.jpg

cgcorrea
12-01-09, 20:32
I was about to get one cuz it seemed like a great price but I ended up finding a non "Blem" one somewhere else for like 8 bucks more than I would have paid for the "Blem". So I got that one instead.

SeriousStudent
12-01-09, 21:03
Yikes! Good thing I noticed this was an old thread, I was about to pass out at the prices people were paying.

I am getting the blems for around $100 now.

Where are you finding them? Grant and Noveske are both out, on their websites. I would like to pick up another lower.

Thanks very much!

Cincinnatus
12-02-09, 09:39
Where are you finding them? Grant and Noveske are both out, on their websites. I would like to pick up another lower.

Thanks very much!

You can get them through Omniguns.com, be sure and ask as they are not listed on website usually, but Kevin, the guy who runs the place, is an official Noveske dealer and gets many lowers both blem and clean from them on a regular basis.

and tell them winfield813 sent you.
;)

SeriousStudent
12-02-09, 11:11
Thank you, kind sir.

SeriousStudent
12-02-09, 11:43
You can get them through Omniguns.com, be sure and ask as they are not listed on website usually, but Kevin, the guy who runs the place, is an official Noveske dealer and gets many lowers both blem and clean from them on a regular basis.

and tell them winfield813 sent you.
;)

I just shot them an email. They are literally right down the road from me, so I could drive over and pick one up, if they get any.

Thanks again.

Kiznelly
12-02-09, 12:03
Anyone have the phone number? The website is restricted here on base.

Mark71
12-02-09, 13:24
Anyone have the phone number? The website is restricted here on base.

Omni Guns and Ammo
1684 Big Bend Drive
Lewisville, Texas 75077-2453
972-786-2521

SeriousStudent
12-02-09, 13:58
I just got an email back from Kevin. No joy on the Noveske seconds.

But I do appreciate the heads-up.

tarkeg
12-03-09, 16:51
I believe Rainier Arms still has them. Recently picked up two.

Wayne G.
12-03-09, 17:44
I believe Rainier Arms still has them. Recently picked up two.

For about the same price, OGC Tactical has (non-blem, non-second) factory "firsts" and the shipping is free!

SeriousStudent
12-03-09, 19:25
Thank you both. :)

Surf
12-03-09, 21:21

Thanks very much!

For about the same price, OGC Tactical has (non-blem, non-second) factory "firsts" and the shipping is free!This is where I get mine. Newer E N4's. He is a Master Dealer and usually has numerous in stock. Blems are around $100 and the non-blems are around $185.

SeriousStudent
12-03-09, 22:11
Thanks, Surf. I appreciate the info, and stay safe.

tarkeg
12-03-09, 22:45
For about the same price, OGC Tactical has (non-blem, non-second) factory "firsts" and the shipping is free!

Dang!