PDA

View Full Version : Crye Precision Armor

Dave L.
01-16-07, 02:28
Does anyone have any experience using Crye's Armor i.e. the Armor Chassis and the Blast Belt? I am very interested in the Blast Belt. I would very much like to know about prices too if anyone has any info on that. I'll try to call and get a price quote but please let me know if you have first hand experience.

If you don't know about Crye Armor check it out-

http://www.cryeprecision.com/product1.asp?P=C04

http://www.cryeprecision.com/product1.asp?P=B14

LukeMacGillie
01-16-07, 06:05
Check out TPT924's review of the blast belt over on LightFighter.

militarymoron
01-16-07, 09:16
the blast belt TPT924 reviewed was an interim version - the gen 2 blast belt is out, or coming out, but like the chassis, only available to AD military or LE. the web belt has got a stiffening insert now and won't fold over like in his pics.
i've had the gen 2 for about a month, and am waiting for some accessories it comes with before i post a review on my site. it's configured differently from the gen 1, but feels the same when you wear it. check out my site for reviews of the gen 1 chassis and blast belt. the chassis has also been updated, but i haven't seen it yet.

Saint
01-16-07, 13:37
Pat Rogers did a nice write up on the Blast Belt in the latest issue of S.W.A.T. magazine. You might want to pick it up for some good information.

FYI

Pat_Rogers
01-16-07, 14:01
Thanks for the kind words Saint.
I have been wearing the Gen1 (or more recently the Gen 2) for about 2.5 years now, and have a fair amount of time with the system. It is the best war belt that i have ever worn.
There will be a story on the new Armored Chassis in SWAT pretty soon as well. I've had that for a few month now as well.
This makes every other armored vest feel like ancient history.
Caleb and crew are good guys.

Dave L.
01-16-07, 16:22
the blast belt TPT924 reviewed was an interim version - the gen 2 blast belt is out, or coming out, but like the chassis, only available to AD military or LE. the web belt has got a stiffening insert now and won't fold over like in his pics.
i've had the gen 2 for about a month, and am waiting for some accessories it comes with before i post a review on my site. it's configured differently from the gen 1, but feels the same when you wear it. check out my site for reviews of the gen 1 chassis and blast belt. the chassis has also been updated, but i haven't seen it yet.

MM,
I noticed on your website that crye also appears to have more accessories than what are listed on their website...such as the camel-back carriers. Where is that stuff sold?
Also, if I want to order body armor do I just need to send a copy of my mil ID or do I need some type of letter?

Dave L.
01-16-07, 16:24
Pat Rogers did a nice write up on the Blast Belt in the latest issue of S.W.A.T. magazine. You might want to pick it up for some good information.

FYI

Saint...or Pat,

Is that write-up on the BB in the current SWAT mag or did I miss it?

Pat_Rogers
01-16-07, 18:16
Raining Brass- it is in the Feb07 issue, and as this is not yet on the newstands, doubtful it will be on their W/S for a while.

Most of what Crye makes is not listed for commercial sale.
The Blast Belt and Armor Chassis are not now available for commercial sales as they are filling contracts. However, the Blast Belt will be up soonest- that is their intention.

If you are AD mil you can call them directly and plead your case- hopefully that will work.
The Crye guys are exceptinally talented and great American. I really enjoy what they do.

C4IGrant
01-16-07, 18:58
Talked to these guys at Shot (nice fellows). They are not taking dealer account (bummer), but did get the contact info in order to get things "dipped" in their multi-cam.

C4

Dave L.
01-16-07, 19:59
Talked to these guys at Shot (nice fellows). They are not taking dealer account (bummer), but did get the contact info in order to get things "dipped" in their multi-cam.

C4

Grant, when you talked to them did you ask why they never have my size(34/36L) in the combat multi cam pants?...I think I am wearing their website out by checking everyday!

Dave L.
01-16-07, 20:01
Raining Brass- it is in the Feb07 issue, and as this is not yet on the newstands, doubtful it will be on their W/S for a while.

Most of what Crye makes is not listed for commercial sale.
The Blast Belt and Armor Chassis are not now available for commercial sales as they are filling contracts. However, the Blast Belt will be up soonest- that is their intention.

If you are AD mil you can call them directly and plead your case- hopefully that will work.
The Crye guys are exceptinally talented and great American. I really enjoy what they do.

Pat, i'll pick it up as soon as it hits the shelf!

militarymoron
01-16-07, 20:07
MM,
I noticed on your website that crye also appears to have more accessories than what are listed on their website...such as the camel-back carriers. Where is that stuff sold?
Also, if I want to order body armor do I just need to send a copy of my mil ID or do I need some type of letter?

the accessories on my chassis were part of the kit/package that went with the chassis - they're not sold on their website. they're made by eagle industries, and most are MLCS kit, except for the camelbak carriers. i've never seen those available elsewhere.
as pat said, contact crye directly for inquiries.

grant, i had the dipping info on my site here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/misc/camo.html#water

RAM Engineer
01-16-07, 20:46
As a person with a bad lower back, I am looking forward to a civilian-available Gen 2 Blast Belt! Maybe one day soon?

While armor would be nice, it is not a necessity for me, and the extra weight and expense would make it less attractive for my needs. Just load that sucker up with padding!

Pat & MM, thanks for the articles/writeups.

Jason

militarymoron
02-02-07, 22:16
better late than never - just posted pics and info on the gen 2 blast belt:
http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye3.html#blast2

Dave L.
02-03-07, 04:39
better late than never - just posted pics and info on the gen 2 blast belt:
http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye3.html#blast2

So how do I get my hands on one?:D

Pat_Rogers
02-03-07, 06:37
So how do I get my hands on one?:D
Errr, buy one. From Crye.
You probably could have figured that out if you read the SWAT article....:D
They are kinda' busy and are filling pre existing contracts. It may be a while.

Dave L.
02-03-07, 07:09
Errr, buy one. From Crye.
You probably could have figured that out if you read the SWAT article....:D
They are kinda' busy and are filling pre existing contracts. It may be a while.

Pat, You didn't tell us the Feb SWAT mag was on the news stands.

(Heading to Barnes and Nobel ASAP)

Pat_Rogers
02-03-07, 09:00
Sorry, didn't know that was part of the deal....:D
The March issue is in subscribers hands now. I have an article on sub caliber machine guns..

Aubrey
02-03-07, 09:18
A subscription to S.W.A.T. is a wise investment.

Pinco Palla
02-03-07, 11:40
....the chassis has also been updated, but i haven't seen it yet.

MM,

have had the chance to see and wear a IIIrd gen Crye chassis , colour Khaki , while the importer showed it up to the 9°Col Moschin incursors , infact they are actually T&E it for a possible massive buy .

This new version is the heat indeed , it is completely different from the one pictured in their website , but I'll not reveal anything abt it here .

Man , I usually wear an Eagle Land-CIRAS but , believe me , this is another thing , all the other armours'll become quickly outdated when this new one'll be distributed in great quantity IMHO , it'll be a great upgraded for our men fighting this shitty war all over the world .

Stay safe,
PP out

militarymoron
02-04-07, 10:15
hey pinco, i'm always looking forward to the new stuff crye comes out with. very innovative and well thought out.

nyeti
02-09-07, 22:51
For those who can't get the excellent Crye belt, or don't need armor, I have two recommendations.

I have a terrible back that will be the final straw in me retiring from my L/E job. I love both the Eagle warbelt (all molle), and the new padded belts that CSM is doing. My back loves both.

RAM Engineer
02-10-07, 12:53
Nyeti,

My lower back thanks you! Are these belts commercially available? I didn't see them on the Eagle or CSM websites.

Thanks again,

Jason

nyeti
02-10-07, 17:50
I have seen the Eagle on a couple of the popular gear sights, and you probably have to e-mail Doc Mike at CSM for his.

Aubrey
02-10-07, 20:18
Eagle Padded MOLLE Belt at Triad Tactical (http://triadtactical.com/tab1/store/category/a34g/Belts_and_Belt_Kit/First_Line.html): Steve Sheldon is a great source of Eagle Industries gear.

CSM Gear Padded Pistol Belt (http://www.csmgear.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?domain=csmgear.com&cat=4&page=2&keyword=&since=&status=): Doc Mike's gear is top-tier.

LukeMacGillie
02-16-07, 21:32
So where does the Blackwater IO belt fit into the whole scene?

I know when the IO gear hit the streets it was billed as having Crye on board as a designer, and the IO belt looks a whole lot like the blast belt................

usmcgrunt
02-28-07, 21:58
Of course I would rather have the Blast Belt but with the way things are going and being out of the Corps it looks like Im gonna have to settle for Eagles belt! Thanks for posting gentlemen!

Grunt Out!

cpekz
04-02-07, 15:56
Is there any word on if/when the belt and plate carrier will be availible to the public?

Cold Zero
04-02-07, 16:52
Is there any word on if/when the belt and plate carrier will be availible to the public?

yes, the latest estimate is 2019, about the same time as the next eclipse.:eek:

fivepointoh
04-02-07, 17:14
yes, the latest estimate is 2019, about the same time as the next eclipse.:eek:

:D is that before or after the last Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is due out? :p

xenophobe
04-06-07, 09:16
lol... too funny.

shark31
04-06-07, 09:42
So where does the Blackwater IO belt fit into the whole scene?

I know when the IO gear hit the streets it was billed as having Crye on board as a designer, and the IO belt looks a whole lot like the blast belt................

I have one with a second one on the way. Good materials, and externally appears to be of the same design as the Crye belt. Their packaging says designed with Crye. It has a kydex liner to hold it's shape.

Resq47
04-06-07, 12:38
I'm another BW I-O belt addict. I dared to be different a while back and have been watching all the rolly square belts as an amused spectator since.

shark31
04-17-07, 15:00
Be aware of the customer service when dealing with Blackwater. Make sure that you call and check the status of your order every week.

I just called to check on my second IO belt (on order since 2/2) and was told they tried to contact me a month ago to tell me they had a problem with my order. They "couldn't reach me, and left a message" and then "restocked" my belt. Now I am back on the back of the list waiting for another "two weeks" until I get my order. I asked who "tried" to contact me and could I speak with them. I was just told that the system said that I was contacted on March 20th and they were sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm not complaining about the wait (it's worth it) but it sucks to not be contacted, have your order sold to someone else, and it all be your fault for not checking on your order. I would have to say that so far it has been a good product, but they need to have someone besides Michaels of Oregon handle their product line.

Just FYI, YMMV.

DragonDoc
04-11-11, 20:36
It has been a few years since the op. Are their any new viewpoints on the Crye belt?

eggroll
04-12-11, 00:20
it works and fits me better than most belts that I have tried

but it is also an engineered piece of kit vice a flat slabsheath of cordura with some PALS tacked on.

the IIIa armor insert imparts a degree of stiffness that helps with the loading of kit components attached to the belt. Optional "sleeves" will allow users to preconfigure ammo pouch loadouts and swap out accordingly without having to undo the PALS attachment methods employed.

the "shape" of the belt also rides on the users body geometry far better than a nominal belt will just wrapped around your waist, accomplishing this by an imparted shape "camber" that when viewed from the front taking a cross-sectional slice through this belt.... the top edge of the belt has a smaller radius than the bottom edge.... A Conic Frustrum for you mathematically inclined :D

so when you wear this belt, it rides centered on your hip bone crests, just like a well designed internal frame pack waist belt.

Iraq Ninja
04-12-11, 06:39
It has been a few years since the op. Are their any new viewpoints on the Crye belt?

Been using one as my daily work belt for almost 4 years. Still in very good shape. I ripped some of the Molle when I tried to hang a holster off of it. Crye said they will fix it, but I don't want to be without it..lol.

I replaced the belt with one of those metal buckle belts. I didn't trust the plastic stuff if someone had to pick me up by the belt.

I run 8 mags on the belt and don't have a need for suspenders.

DragonDoc
04-17-11, 20:32
Thanks for the replies all. I think I will go ahead and order one of these. My unit is very close to our deployment dates and I need some kit that I can use with a flight vest. The level III armor is a huge selling point as I may be dangling from a hoist 70 feet above the ground doing Medevac. I'd hate to get hit below my plates where the is no armor.