PDA

View Full Version : any know of a good sig sauer gunsmith?

jchulltx
06-14-09, 13:48
I am looking for a good sig sauer gunsmith, not just one who puts the short trigger on and basic stuff I could do after the sig academy classes.

FMF_Doc
06-14-09, 13:56
I've always sent mine back to Sig.........

I haven't realy found anyone that knew enough for me to be comfortable with them working on the 226.

M4arc
06-14-09, 14:03
I would contact GotM4 here on the forum.

ilike9s
06-14-09, 14:04
Bruce Gray is the only name you need to know.

http://www.grayguns.com/docs/smith_sig.htm

Bruce is the gun smith that came up with the SRT for the P-series. I have couple guns that he has worked on, and there is a night and day difference to them.

ToddG
06-14-09, 17:26
Bruce is the gun smith that came up with the SRT for the P-series.

That is incorrect, and to the best of my knowledge Gray has never made such a claim. He has (or at least had) his own way of shortening the reset.

The SRT was developed by a young engineer at SIG named Ethan Lessard.

As for the OP and "a SIG gunsmith," what exactly are you looking to have done?

TNshooter
06-14-09, 18:48
Todd is certainly correct that Bruce did not come up with Sig's SRT system... He came up with his own configuration a several years before Sig brought out their SRT system. I heartly endorse the work Bruce and Gray Guns performs. If you go to the sigforum.com and do a search, you can learn alot about Bruce. He is an artist and a real gentleman.

kmrtnsn
06-14-09, 20:54
Although I regularly bash SIG (I am just trying to do my part to give them a kick in the ass to build a competitive issue pistol). I own SIG's and have had great customer service experiences sending pistols back to SIG for service/modification. If you are LE and tell them so, they push your pistol to the head of the line.

John Hearne
06-14-09, 21:01
I've never heard anything but good stuff about Bruce Grey and would be inclined to recommend him based on my experience with his shop in terms of my phone pestering and small parts orders.

The only smith I've ever sent a Sig to was Teddy Jacobson who, as far as I know, still takes some work. He performed an action on an early P220ST and the pistol has a simply amazing trigger. I've never experienced a smooter or crisper Sig trigger (DA and SA) than his work.

MarshallDodge
06-14-09, 21:08
The only smith I've ever sent a Sig to was Teddy Jacobson who, as far as I know, still takes some work. He performed an action on an early P220ST and the pistol has a simply amazing trigger. I've never experienced a smooter or crisper Sig trigger (DA and SA) than his work.

A friend of mine back in Illinois had one of his Sigs done by Teddy years ago and it came out great.

mgobel
06-14-09, 21:34
Todd is certainly correct that Bruce did not come up with Sig's SRT system... He came up with his own configuration a several years before Sig brought out their SRT system. I heartly endorse the work Bruce and Gray Guns performs. If you go to the sigforum.com and do a search, you can learn alot about Bruce. He is an artist and a real gentleman.

I have sent five SIG's to Bruce and his team. All turned out GREAT!

Mark

USBP379
06-15-09, 09:01
If you are in San Antonio, Texas area, look up Steve Klein. He is known by many of the gunshop owners in the area. He is FANTASTIC with Sigs, and just about anything he gets his hands on. He did a trigger job on a 220 for me, and did my buddy's 226, topnotch work. He is local and kinda word of mouth, only. IM me if you want more info.

Also, Sig does good work- I had my duty gun slicked up and it it had about as smooth a double action trigger pull as you could ever want. I scored perfect on several qualifications with that gun.

jchulltx
06-15-09, 10:11
what is the name of Steve Kline's shop

USBP379
06-15-09, 12:26
what is the name of Steve Kline's shop

I'm out of town for a bit, don't have his info with me. Call Wayne Ho at Ho's Sporting Goods, 210 521 2288. Steve's business card is up on Wayne's wall, I'm sure he will be happy to help.

IM me with any further questions.

gtmtnbiker98
06-15-09, 13:21
Bruce Gray sets the standard.

ToddG
06-15-09, 15:00
The person who did all my SIG work (Ernest Langdon) is no longer available for hire.

In my experience, sending it to SIG will usually result in good work. But there are multiple people with multiple levels of skill working in the shop. One of their smiths once took it upon himself to "tune up" one of my guns without my permission the day before a match. Luckily, I showed up early enough to test fire the gun and bang-click-click-bang-click-bang-click-click later I was stuck swapping in a heavier mainspring ... which I also luckily had with me.

I'd beware of anyone who includes "reliability" work on the gun as a standard part of the action job package, especially if the "included" work has resulted in a price in the hundreds of dollars. It takes about 20 minutes to do a good trigger job on a SIG. Frakking with the chamber, etc., is unnecessary modification and unnecessary expense. If your gun was working fine before you sent it off, why pay for "reliability work?" If your gun wasn't working fine before sending it off, why not send it to SIG first so they fix it free of charge under warranty?

And FWIW, the last couple of years I carried a SIG I just stuck to stock guns with a reduced power mainspring (in DA/SA, not in DAK). After a couple thousand trigger pulls and some TW25B on the action, it was as functional as any trigger job and cost essentially nothing. One of my guns had a 7# DA stroke after a few thousand rounds and would still touch off the hardest Euro primers without skipping a beat.

Bob Reed
06-15-09, 21:46
Another Vote for Teddy Jacobson http://www.actionsbyt.com/

JonInWA
06-16-09, 07:45
At SIG-Sauer, I would specifically recommend Mike Guarnieri; he does superb work, and has done exemplery things to my SIGs (including my 1911 GSR) since 1993.

Bruce Gray of Grayguns also has a superb reputation, and knows SIGs very, very well-and does excellent work.

Best, Jon

bluedog
06-16-09, 10:20
I've fired a 220 with a service action job by Gray Guns that had a SA pull weight that was much too light for comfort. The DA had been tuned to perfection. The good news is they will stand behind their work. I've seen statements from B Gray that for safety reasons, he has had to do complete reworks of action jobs previously done by T Jacobson.

DRich
06-16-09, 10:23
I have to say that in 10+ years of browsing gun forums, this is the first time I've seen anything positive posted about Mr. Jacobson.

buzz_knox
06-16-09, 10:36
And FWIW, the last couple of years I carried a SIG I just stuck to stock guns with a reduced power mainspring (in DA/SA, not in DAK). After a couple thousand trigger pulls and some TW25B on the action, it was as functional as any trigger job and cost essentially nothing. One of my guns had a 7# DA stroke after a few thousand rounds and would still touch off the hardest Euro primers without skipping a beat.

Todd, what spring weight would you recommend? I've got a 226 and a few 228s that could do with a slightly lighter DA pull.

ToddG
06-16-09, 10:47
The 19# spring should give you a lighter pull and be 100%. The 18# spring will also probably be 100%. The 17# can give you a great trigger pull but the compromise in reliability is not worth it in my opinion.

buzz_knox
06-16-09, 12:29
The 19# spring should give you a lighter pull and be 100%. The 18# spring will also probably be 100%. The 17# can give you a great trigger pull but the compromise in reliability is not worth it in my opinion.

Thank you. I tend to be Mr. Murphy's personal chew toy, so I'll stick with the 19 lb and perfect reliability.