PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomics issue..

pbr streetgang
06-14-09, 14:31
I seem to be having an issue getting my red dot, magnifier, and flip-up iron sight to fit on my piccatinny rail. Someone suggested to put the red dot on the quad rail, but the one i have is a drop in style. i was told that occasionally people will put the red dot on a free float hand gaurd, and im curious to know if you can actually maintain zero like this. anyone here have this kind of set up?

JStor
06-14-09, 14:36
I would keep the red dot sight on the receiver and use an extended mount if there's not enough room...or if the iron sight is taking up too much space, get a different one.

DRich
06-14-09, 14:39
It's usually not a good idea to mount an optic on a non-FF rail because the handguards will shift slightly during handling/firing. Even a small movement will affect the POI and will likely be quite noticeable at ranges over 50yds.

What optics are you trying to fit on the receiver?

pbr streetgang
06-15-09, 00:29
It's usually not a good idea to mount an optic on a non-FF rail because the handguards will shift slightly during handling/firing. Even a small movement will affect the POI and will likely be quite noticeable at ranges over 50yds.

What optics are you trying to fit on the receiver?

Im mounting a Burris xts-135 speed dot (pretty much the same dimensions as a comp m2), with an Aimpoint QRP mount

Aimpoint 3x mag with an Aimpoint twist mount

ARMS stand alone flip up rear sight

SWATcop556
06-15-09, 00:46
Im mounting a Burris xts-135 speed dot (pretty much the same dimensions as a comp m2), with an Aimpoint QRP mount

First, even with FF rails I have reservations about mounting optics further than the upper. My recommenations would be a Larue Cantilever mount and their Aimpoint Mag mount. Add a Troy folding BUIS and you will have enough "rail-estate" to have it all mounted on your upper.

I have never owned an ARMS rear sight but they appear to have a much more pronounced profile than the Troy. I'm not sure if the Larue mount will work with your current optic but you need to upgrade to the Comp anyways!! :cool:

subzero
06-15-09, 02:21

That is why they make cantilever mounts...

I can get an aimpoint in a standard Larue mount, a 40L BUIS and an aimpoint 3x in a KAC cantilever to all fit on an upper. Technically the Larue and KAC mounts don't line up (different heights for different cowitnesses) but it still works fine.

You'll need to cantilever one of your optics to make it work without putting something on the handguard.