PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 8000 series ?

COJAM
06-14-09, 15:19
Taurus haters please don't reply.;)I've never owned a Taurus of any kind,but I know a lot of people hate them, but these seem to have some of the features I'm looking for in another pistol. Does anyone have one or handled one? What was your impression,quality, weight, feel. Thanks.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/taurus-800-series-pistols/

ToddG
06-14-09, 17:41
I got as far as this:

Available in .45 ACP, .40 cal and 9mm, the 800 Series features Taurus’ industry changing “Strike Two” capability. Firing normally from single action mode, if the primer ever fails to ignite, the gun reverts to double action mode to provide a potentially life-saving second or third try at a faulty cartridge. Research indicates a 93 percent or better chance the round will fire on re-strike. The pistol will then automatically revert back to single action mode.
(emphasis mine)

So ... it works just like the DAK that was introduced in 2004, or the LEM that was introduced in 2001. Yeah, that's sure to change the industry ...

Abraxas
06-14-09, 17:50
I got as far as this:

(emphasis mine)

So ... it works just like the DAK that was introduced in 2004, or the LEM that was introduced in 2001. Yeah, that's sure to change the industry ...

My Walther P99, that I bought in 99 also does this. I don't hate Taurus. I have 2 of their revolvers, and I like them just fine, but I have ALWAYS been unsatisfied with their autos.

John_Wayne777
06-14-09, 18:05
Taurus haters please don't reply.;)I've never owned a Taurus of any kind,but I know a lot of people hate them, but these seem to have some of the features I'm looking for in another pistol. Does anyone have one or handled one? What was your impression,quality, weight, feel. Thanks.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/taurus-800-series-pistols/

There's a valid reason why a lot of people do not like Taurus. They do not like them primarily because the weapons they put out are of sub-par quality and offer sub-par performance and reliability. For most of us at least some of our handguns are used for self defense or are issued by an agency for self defense. That means the weapons must work when called upon.

Taurus's reputation as a company has been earned. Thus treating their products with a heavy dose of skepticism is more than justified.

Shadow1198
06-14-09, 18:33
I would rather spend $100 over the price of a new Taurus for a beat to shit LE trade in Sig P220/226 as opposed to wasting it on a Taurus.

It's kind of like choosing between the higher quality Wolf ammo (an oxymoron, I know) and Black Hills. It's kind of a joke when you really think about it. ;)

ToddG
06-14-09, 21:31
Glad it helped.

While the 2022 wouldn't be my personal choice, it's likely to be much better than the Taurus. Then again, we could all have egg on our faces three years from now. I remember the first time someone told me S&W was coming out with a new polymer pistol called "M&P" and I just rolled my eyes ... :cool:

Shadow1198
06-14-09, 21:33
I've had friends that have had various Taurus pistols and have had no problems whatsoever. I've also had other friends that can't stop having problems with them. Their QC must still be horrible because it's real hit or miss. It's just way too much of a gamble to bother with IMO. For $100-200 more you're in the price range of:

-M&P series
-Glocks
-Sig Pro
-Sig CPO guns
-Berettas
-XD's
-CZ's
-Some Walther P99's
-The occasional good deal on an H&K
-Ruger SR9's
-Various other Ruger handguns
-S&W 3rd gen auto's (some of those are even in the Taurus price range)
-FNP's

The list goes on.

Sig Pro's are one of the highest quality handguns for the price at the moment, IMO. If you look around, they can be found around the $400-499 price range. Not bad for a new Sig with night sights.