PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 Setup

jp0319
06-15-09, 04:35
Ok, I swpped out the Colt 6920 for the DDM4 and have about finished aquiring the extras for it. Below is what my plan is for my DDM4.

Magpul CTR stock in FDE
Magpul Maid in FDE
Magpul XTM rail covers in FDE
Tango Down Stubby VFG in FDE
Magpul ASAP plate
Blue Force Gear UDC Single point sling
Magpul MBUS Black
Aimpoint ML3 with Larue Mount
Aimpoint M3 Cover in FDE
AAC Blackout 51T flash suppressor

Most of the stuff is personal preference stuff, I wanted to go FDE color scheme, I like the MAID as I have longer fingers, I prefer the stubby VFG over the full size. The Aimpoint was a toss up I was torn between a T-1 in a Larue mount and the ML3, It boiled down to the 2 vs 4 MOA dots. I use a 2 MOA dot in the M4 I am issued and am used to it I was worried about the 4moa dot in the T-1 being to big for the 200-300 meter range stuff. I liked most the light weight of the T-1 which is about half the weight of the ML3. I know some of you will scoff at replacing the DD Rear sight But I will be using the RDS as primary and I prefer an un encombered view of the RDS so a folding BUIS was nessicary for me. The AAC blackout was for future use of the AAC SCAR suppressor I like it as it goes over the barrel.

I would like to see how you guys have tweaked your DDM4s. Post Pics if you have them or just lists like I did, oh and tell me what you think of the way I have gone.

JP

shadco
06-15-09, 05:10
OK just a couple of simple questions

Why the Magpul asap instead of using a qd sling attach point?

Why a ctr if you are going to attach a single point sling to the endplate?

jp0319
06-15-09, 06:05
ASAP no specific reason other than it's ability to rapidly switch from strong to support side I know I could have gotten a QD end plate but the ASAP was fairly inexpensive at $29, CTR because I was getting FDE furnature, and I like the friction lock, and I got a good deal $83. It does allow me additional QD mounting points if I want to in the future paired with the ones on the omega X.

rjacobs
06-15-09, 07:46
The gun already has the QD end plate on it, I too though am switching it out for an ASAP plate, since I already had it for a different gun. As far as the Magpul MBUS I would skip it and get a Troy. I just dont care for plastic that can potentially get tweeked and bent and what not in an item that requires accuracy. The Troy site also folds down flatter than the MBUS.

jp0319
06-15-09, 09:02
I did not know the DD came with a QD end plate, I looked on their site and that wasnt listed Oh well, I like thye ASAP any how. As far as the MBUS, I was going with the Troy but the MBUS seems to be good kit, most people who have them like them, the choice for me was the price. Less than $60 for the MBUS and $140 or more for the Troy. Being that Aimpoints are pretty much bullet proof nowadays I will likely never need the BUIS anyway so why pay $80+ more for it?

jdavis6576
06-15-09, 09:12
Sounds like you have it set up just the way you like it.

I made a few mods to mine too:

7.0 Omega
Magpul MBUS Rear
Aimpoint M3 in a Larue 129
Ergo Grip
BFG Vickers Two-Point (not pictured)
TD VFG
Smith Vortex FH
Magpul XTMs
OLight T20 (temporary until I order another Streamlight)

Here's the pic of mine with a few of my other goodies,

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_1998.jpg

rjacobs
06-15-09, 09:21
I did not know the DD came with a QD end plate, I looked on their site and that wasnt listed Oh well, I like thye ASAP any how. As far as the MBUS, I was going with the Troy but the MBUS seems to be good kit, most people who have them like them, the choice for me was the price. Less than $60 for the MBUS and $140 or more for the Troy. Being that Aimpoints are pretty much bullet proof nowadays I will likely never need the BUIS anyway so why pay $80+ more for it?

I hear ya on the price, my thing is having a plastic piece that can get warped/twisted/something else in a part that needs to have precision. I have no direct experience with the MBUS, but just having something plastic where you need tight tolerances and accuracy doesn't sit well with me. Not to say anything bad about Magpul because I have several of their products, just not into a plastic BUS. The extra 80 bucks is worth it to me, just makes me feel better I guess.

kwelz
06-15-09, 09:42
You do realize that anything that would warp or twist the polymer in a MBUS would also damage a Troy or ARMS BUIS. Not to mention what it would do to the Mags, etc in the gun.

rjacobs
06-15-09, 09:52
You do realize that anything that would warp or twist the polymer in a MBUS would also damage a Troy or ARMS BUIS. Not to mention what it would do to the Mags, etc in the gun.

Maybe I am just dense on this(like most other things), but I dont see how things that could harm a plastic BUS would damage a metal buis short of shooting it. I just personally see the potential for a piece of plastic to get broken or twisted or what not much easier than metal. Thats my opinion.

kwelz
06-15-09, 09:59
I don't see where you are thinking that the MBUS would twist in such a way to be unusable. If it was to flex or twist it would generally spring back to it's original form unless it reaches a point where the material was damaged or breaks. With Aluminum or steel it will bend and stay bent.

Now the breaking point may indeed be lower than a metal. However I am pretty sure that the amount of force required to break the Polymer used in MBUS and p-mags is the same that would damage even a reliable BUIS

jp0319
06-15-09, 10:10
I was a but skeptical on the MB US at first too but we have all grown to trust Pmags and they are the same material. like I said before using an aimpoint as primary it is very unlikely you would ever need the sight anyway.

SWATcop556
06-15-09, 11:02
I do not own a DDM4 yet but I hope to rectify that soon. Sounds like you have a good list of materials to start with. Regarding the T1 vs Comp dot size I really feel that they are negligible in comparison. A rep with Aimpoint stated that the dot on the T1 is more like a 3 MOA. Either are a quality sight as I have and use both.

With regards to the MBUS I don't have personal experience in ownership but do have trigger time with two different sets. They are not as slim of a profile as the Troy but I would say durability would not be a question in my mind. I know that the guys at Magpul will torture test their kit far beyond what I will. And that testing is done long before an item hits the market.

I love the ASAP and think you would be well served in pairing it with the MS2. I have one for both of my work guns and love the setup.

shadco
06-15-09, 11:54
A QD sling attachment works out pretty well and you don't end up trashing that pretty staked DD QD endplate

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/113610314.jpg

Icculus
06-15-09, 12:33
I would like to see how you guys have tweaked your DDM4s. Post Pics if you have them or just lists like I did, oh and tell me what you think of the way I have gone.

JP

Very nice shooter you've got. I just posted this pic in another thread no to long ago but here's mine currently for comparison. I like you am struggling with the T1 vs ML3 debate. For me its not so much the dot size but the 30mm vs 20mm housing size (think those #'s are correct) and how they affect field of view and which one I'll be happier with

My DDM4
http://ims.hspn.com/pic.php?u=2727uyQ7&i=6358

shadco
06-15-09, 14:20
DDM4

Swapped the OmegaX rail for a DD 12" lite rail, I feel it's more solid and dispenses with the fixed frt sight. This allows me to use a troy flip sight which I can fold down when not needed. This retains the benefit of the long rail.

I swapped the rear fixed sight for a troy flip sight these are proven performers.

Moe stock out Vltor Emod in, I like it better for cheek weld, and storage.

Tango Down grip, I like the fit in my hand.

CQD rail sling attach point for using the Magpul MS2 in 2 point mode.

Vltor QD sling mount in endplate, works good, and doesn't require swapping out for an MS2 and possibly tearing up that nice DD piece.

Magpul MS2 sling because I actually got one. I like it so far but if it turns out I want something else I think it will be easy to sell.

Aimpoint C3 2 moa since it does everything I need in an inexpensive package.

Bobro 180 cantilever mount, nice simple solid with great attach mechanism.

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/113610311.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/113610315.jpg

Magsz
06-15-09, 17:13
The conventional Aimpoints are more forgiving in unconventional shooting positions but honestly, with proper technique you should not be having issues finding your dot.

The only times i ever struggle to find my dot is when im throwing down and going Urban Prone. This has nothing to do with the fact that i use T1's. Even if i was using an eotech or a 30mm objective aimpoint i still would have issues because my technique sucks. :D

Dont let the 20mm lens size deter you from picking up a t1, you will really like it.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-15-09, 17:29
The conventional Aimpoints are more forgiving in unconventional shooting positions but honestly, with proper technique you should not be having issues finding your dot.

The only times i ever struggle to find my dot is when im throwing down and going Urban Prone. This has nothing to do with the fact that i use T1's. Even if i was using an eotech or a 30mm objective aimpoint i still would have issues because my technique sucks. :D

Dont let the 20mm lens size deter you from picking up a t1, you will really like it.

I think everyone should at least try a T1. I'm not a fan, but I came from Eothingy's, then went to the 30mm AP optics. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a T1 right now, but at the time, it wasn't right for me. I still feel better with my M4s, but if you practice proper cheek weld, a T1 isn't problematic.

Icculus
06-15-09, 18:04

I think everyone should at least try a T1. I'm not a fan, but I came from Eothingy's, then went to the 30mm AP optics. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a T1 right now, but at the time, it wasn't right for me. I still feel better with my M4s, but if you practice proper cheek weld, a T1 isn't problematic.

Thanks guys. Guess I totally jacked the OP's thread since it looks like he already bought his optic. I REALLY do appreciate the advice though. I need to find a way to test them side by side but not sure how I'm going to pull that off.

EDIT: Actually to the OP. Have you already ordered/purchased all the stuff above or is that just a plan? Any pics of your DDM4?

EDIT2: And again thread jacking but...jdavis6576, in you picture, 520SBK Presidio???
Nvm, just saw your thread on sigforum about your first benchmade. 525 mini nice. Congrats

SKULL1
06-15-09, 18:48
here's my version..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/dd002.jpg

txdukklr
06-15-09, 19:05
I"m not a super tactical guy like yall, wish I could find someplace to train . . . . but not the point.

a buddy bought the t-1 and I have an eotech 516. I thought the body was small but shooting it I think it's excellent. I like the bigger glass but I had no problem picking up the dot on either side.

AK-Joe
06-15-09, 19:06
Mine.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P5160003-1.jpg

jp0319
06-15-09, 21:22
Thanks guys. Guess I totally jacked the OP's thread since it looks like he already bought his optic. I REALLY do appreciate the advice though. I need to find a way to test them side by side but not sure how I'm going to pull that off.

EDIT: Actually to the OP. Have you already ordered/purchased all the stuff above or is that just a plan? Any pics of your DDM4?

EDIT2: And again thread jacking but...jdavis6576, in you picture, 520SBK Presidio???
Nvm, just saw your thread on sigforum about your first benchmade. 525 mini nice. Congrats

no I have not purchases the optic yet that is the last piece. I dont have any pics, I am in Afghanistan at the moment. Hopefully on mid tour Ill be able to add the things I got ang take pics.

Icculus
06-15-09, 22:42
no I have not purchases the optic yet that is the last piece. I dont have any pics, I am in Afghanistan at the moment. Hopefully on mid tour Ill be able to add the things I got ang take pics.

Good, then the posts about lens size 20 vs 30 on the T1 vs the M3/4 wasn't totally jacking your thread. :cool:

Thank you for your service.

KaTooM
06-15-09, 23:03

JP

I am just a plinker and live in California, so I have to use a magazine lock and 10 rounders only. I love to shoot all the 200, 300, 400yd steels at my local range. I put a fold down BUIS on it and popped my 3x9 scope off my M1A on. You can't even see the front site through the scope.

I get alot of laughs, but they stop laughing when I start to nail all the 400yd small steels at semi rapid fire. Of course if they were moving not so much I would think.

Then I pop it off and shoot the 200yd steels from different positions with the irons.

As you can tell from the sling I am a lefty...

If I had the money, I would get an ACOG.

Chris

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/scope1.jpg

jp0319
06-16-09, 00:04
Good, then the posts about lens size 20 vs 30 on the T1 vs the M3/4 wasn't totally jacking your thread. :cool:

Thank you for your service.

not at all, more discussion is a good thing, I opened a thread in the optics section asking opinions between T-1 and M3.

jp0319
08-01-09, 10:07
Just an update, I just got an Aimpoint ML3 with FDE Cover from Grant, so the optic is decided. I just have to decide between the Bobro 180 mount and Larue LT-129. I am stumped, I had decided on the Larue but the more and more I look the more and more I am thinking about the Bobro. What do you all think?

shadco
08-01-09, 11:02
Just an update, I just got an Aimpoint ML3 with FDE Cover from Grant, so the optic is decided. I just have to decide between the Bobro 180 mount and Larue LT-129. I am stumped, I had decided on the Larue but the more and more I look the more and more I am thinking about the Bobro. What do you all think?

Bobro's rock and line up nicely with Larue's LT649 tall if you want to add a magnifier.

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/115435502.jpg

TRUST8383
11-05-09, 14:58
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/DDM4/4c609a29-1.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/DDM4/e02f1dfa-1.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/DDM4/d55fa5f7.jpg

Col_Crocs
11-05-09, 17:43
The gun already has the QD end plate on it, I too though am switching it out for an ASAP plate, since I already had it for a different gun. As far as the Magpul MBUS I would skip it and get a Troy. I just dont care for plastic that can potentially get tweeked and bent and what not in an item that requires accuracy. The Troy site also folds down flatter than the MBUS.

Not to highjack the thread but Ive been wondering about this myself. Im sure Magpul being Magpul has put the MBUS through some tests but would like to know how extreme its point of failure is.
On a side note, I recently got one and it's great. Rock solid. I almost forgot it was plastic.