PDA

View Full Version : Can someone loan me a digital sound level meter?

Jay Cunningham
06-15-09, 04:37
I want to gather some suppressor data but I don't want to drop major coin on a piece of gear that I will only use once or twice. Beggars can't be choosers, but I am hoping for something digital which can measure the extremely high peak sound pressure levels generated by short duration impulse events.

I would like to borrow it for about a week, but I would be open to renting as well. I know some outfits rent this gear, but I figured I'd try here first.

pah151
06-15-09, 05:15
What type of test do you want to do? You may want to take a look at www.silencerresearch.com. There's a lot of data there. Also, someone there might also have the equipment you need.

lindertw
06-15-09, 06:22
have an iphone? sound meter app (http://www.apptism.com/apps/decibel-meter-sound-level-meter)
another sound level meter app (http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/soundmeter_turns_the_iphone_into_a_handheld_sound_level_meter/)

Jay Cunningham
06-15-09, 06:33
I do not have an iPhone.

Tuukka
06-15-09, 06:56
have an iphone? sound meter app (http://www.apptism.com/apps/decibel-meter-sound-level-meter)
another sound level meter app (http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/soundmeter_turns_the_iphone_into_a_handheld_sound_level_meter/)

..and those will be worthless for gunshot noise measurement, suppressed or not.

If you are going to rent a meter for example, only look at;

- B&K 2209

- Larson-Davis 800-B

Jay Cunningham
06-15-09, 09:19
If I was going to actually drop the money to rent one, I figured I would get a Larson Davis SoundTrack LxT...

Tuukka
06-15-09, 09:49
If I was going to actually drop the money to rent one, I figured I would get a Larson Davis SoundTrack LxT...

The two meters I mentioned above, when used with the correct microphones etc., are pretty much the two industry standards for sound suppressor companies.

The SoundTrack LxT does not appear to have a high enough peak level for unsuppressed noise for example.

Jay Cunningham
06-15-09, 10:15
The two meters I mentioned above, when used with the correct microphones etc., are pretty much the two industry standards for sound suppressor companies.

The SoundTrack LxT does not appear to have a high enough peak level for unsuppressed noise for example.

I'll have to take your word for it, as I have no practical experience in these matters. The brief research I did via Google indicated that several individuals and organization felt that the SoundTrack LxT was ideal for recording gunfire.

This may wind up being a flight of fancy, but I would like to gather some reasonably accurate data if I can.

Tuukka
06-17-09, 02:50
I'll have to take your word for it, as I have no practical experience in these matters. The brief research I did via Google indicated that several individuals and organization felt that the SoundTrack LxT was ideal for recording gunfire.

This may wind up being a flight of fancy, but I would like to gather some reasonably accurate data if I can.

You might want to contact John Titsworth for good info, he does independent sound suppressor testing at www.silencerresearch.com

Also, Gemtech publishes a sound measurement booklet that costs only a few dollars.

CarlosDJackal
06-20-09, 11:29
FWIW, unless you are using sub-sonic rounds you will probably not get very relevant supressor data because the sound meter will pick up the round's sonic crack each time.

Ask me how I know? :D

Tuukka
06-22-09, 05:26
FWIW, unless you are using sub-sonic rounds you will probably not get very relevant supressor data because the sound meter will pick up the round's sonic crack each time.

Ask me how I know? :D

However, the sound pressure level ( of the muzzle blast ) can be suppressed to under the bullet flight noise level, when measured from the 1 m to the side location as per the MIL STD 1474D.

Of course in the front sector the suppressor will not have an effect purely based on dBs..

Jay Cunningham
06-22-09, 09:25
Guys - awesome suggestions *but* I just want to collect some basic data. :D

I highly doubt there is good data on 12.5" Kalashnikov guns, otherwise I wouldn't be interested in trying to do this.

warpigM-4
06-22-09, 15:36
Katar,Please post your results when you get them done I think it would be Good to know.Thanks:D