PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for my little Niece

Eric Rice
01-16-07, 11:33
*** Attention - I will not tolerate any shenanigans in this thread. ***
Mods, let me know if you'd like this post removed.

My apologies in advance, guys.

Please pray for my little niece Aoife (pronouced Ee'-fuh) She has Down's, RSV, Double Pnuemonia, and a hole in her heart.

I hate to ask this here, but I'm trying to get maximum exposure on this.

They live in Bristol VA, and aren't near any of the rest of the family.

A week ago Monday, she fell ill with RSV, which resulted in double pnuemonia. Last Thursday night she stopped breathing and was rushed to the nearest hospital, then Life-Flighted to Johnson City Medical. She is on a ventilator and a feeding tube. The EKG yesterday wasn't good, and they found a hole in her heart. She was transfused, but she's too weak for an operation.

My parents have been down there helping with the other kids (4 more) and my brother-in-law has missed a lot of work. He isn't provided any medical insurance. They are halfway thru building a house (paying cash).

Like I said, I hate to be a nuisance, but I implore you, to look into your heart on this.

Please pray, and if you can give monetarily, I assure you it won't go to waste. I just finished putting up a site to accept donations for the family.

www.helpbabyaoife.com

blog.helpbabyaoife.com

Update:

This is Aoife’s 5th day at Johnson City Medical Center. Yesterday was a very rough day for her, as she was submitted to rounds of tests and a blood transfusion. It is extremely hard for her parents as well, as they have to watch helplessly while their daughter fights.

Today they are giving her Lasix, as she is retaining water, which is putting more pressure on her lungs. I’m not sure if she is on anything else, other than a sedative.

We have no information yet as far as an approximate day for her open heart surgery. Basically we have to wait this out until she is strong enough to endure surgery. I have been trying to do some research on heart defects and will post more when I can piece it all together.

In trying to prepare, some family members who have the same blood type will be arranging to bank blood for her, in case of an emergency.

Does anyone know how to setup a Trust Fund for her at a real bank? I'd rather not let Paypal make money off this.

Chris_C
01-16-07, 11:43
Donation made.

But more importantly, prayer made and will continue.

Times like this, I think of Psalm 50:15

No matter what happens, we'll be here.

Chris_C

LOKNLOD
01-16-07, 12:50
My daughter is 2.5 months old, and I can remember how scary just coming a month early was...I can't imagine how rough this is on that family.

Prayers sent and I'll try and put down a few dollars as well.

My wife posts on a baby/motherhood board. Would you mind if I forwarded this to her to post there? Perhaps that'll help drum up some donations.

Stickman
01-16-07, 12:57
We will keep her, as well as all of you in her family in our prayers.

Eric Rice
01-16-07, 13:31
Thank you all!

Chris, your'e a very generous man.

LOK, feel free to post this anywhere you'd like. Thank you.

Stick, thank you. It was nice meeting you last week.

K.L. Davis
01-16-07, 13:35
Eric...

Prayers sent and I will hit PayPal as soon as I get home.

If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.

ETA: Eric, just call a local bank and talk to the Trust Office, they should help you.

militarymoron
01-16-07, 14:11
paypal sent. prayers, as well.

KevinB
01-16-07, 14:12
Prayers sent etc.

Hawkeye
01-16-07, 14:20
Prayer sent.

C4IGrant
01-16-07, 17:40
Prayers sent.

C4

brantley65
01-16-07, 18:41
Eric,
Contributed what I could...prayers sent. Peace and Grace to you and your family.

Rmplstlskn
01-16-07, 20:09
May YHWH bless Aoife and keep her
May YHWH shine His face upon her and be gracious to her
May YHWH lift up His countenance upon Aoife and give her peace.

PP when I can...

Rmpl

Robb Jensen
01-16-07, 20:30
Prayers sent brother!

Bushytale
01-16-07, 21:30
prayers sent for Aoife and your whole family!

Billy

bradb55
01-16-07, 21:33
The family and I will pray for her and your family. I sorry you guys have to go through this. Keep your head up. God will take care of her

Jim Colborn
01-16-07, 21:48
Our family will pray for her and put her on our church prayer list.

Jim

Eric Rice
01-16-07, 23:39
Guys, the entire family is touched by your generosity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I received a small update from Dad a little earlier.

Hope this photo comes through okay. I still don't know how to send pictures. Nor do I know how to thank you all for your efforts. Please pass on to others whose addresses I know not. Aoife had a good day today. Pray. Love, Dad

http://www.helpbabyaoife.com/aoife.jpg

I've added more photos of her and there are more updates on the Blog site.

gringle84
01-17-07, 00:27
Prayers outgoing from the wife and I!

Robert n Johnnica

Eric Rice
01-17-07, 08:51
Thank you very much.

Does anyone know a good way to kick off a media blitz (without waving a gun)?

militarymoron
01-17-07, 08:58
maybe try emailing the link to your blog to your local TV station? i often see short segments on human interest stories of a similar nature that help families in need. local stations though - not the major networks.

Striker5
01-17-07, 09:24
I will pray for her.

Yojimbo
01-17-07, 10:31
Prayers sent...

JLM
01-17-07, 16:55
maybe try emailing the link to your blog to your local TV station? i often see short segments on human interest stories of a similar nature that help families in need. local stations though - not the major networks.

Eric, hope all is well.

MM's idea is excellent.

Tomcatter
01-17-07, 18:14
Prayers go out for her and your family.

deadwood83
01-17-07, 18:51
Prayers and an e-mail with links sent to a local station (they sometimes do stories like this) are both outbound. A donation will be coming shortly.

gene
01-17-07, 18:53
Prayers out. Hope she is doing better.

Dave L.
01-17-07, 19:55
Eric,

Prayers sent and many more on the way Brother.

R.D.
01-17-07, 23:18
Eric prayers sent and will donate what I can on payday.

55Kingpin
01-17-07, 23:44
Eric,

I live near Bristol and if there is anything I can do for the family, please let me know. If they need somebody to feed their dog or take out the trash, whatever.

I recently became an uncle for the first time and I can't imagine what the family is going through right now.

Prayers sent.

nickdrak
01-18-07, 01:26
Prayers sent for baby Aoife.

Nick

Eric Rice
01-18-07, 14:16
My sister-in-law spoke to Aoife’s mother last night. He said she sounded a little more upbeat and happy about Aoife’s progress. The doctors have not said much about her progress, but Momma can tell that she is making some. Her color is better, and she is only on 30% oxygen now. She keeps pulling her feeding tube out - not good, but it shows that she is getting stronger and is fighting. They actually had to tie her tiny arms down, which Momma doesn’t like, but she knows it has to be done.

Thanks again to everyone.

QuietShootr
01-18-07, 17:32
Eric,

Prayers out. Donation to follow.

Terry (QuietShootr)

Eric Rice
01-18-07, 19:09
Terry, good to hear from you. I didn't know you were on here.

Thank you for praying.

http://www.helpbabyaoife.com

doubletap
01-18-07, 19:49
Prayers going out from Missouri.

John

Greenbean
01-19-07, 10:05
My friends know this is my verse,
and I am praying it for you. I love it b/c you can't be strong and couragous unless you feel weak and fearful, also to stand strong and keep your wits about you.

Josh 1:9, Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.NASB

Never Back Down, Never Give Up, and Never Loose Faith

FlyAndFight
01-19-07, 11:33
Prayers sent to baby Aoife and the entire family.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take Heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Eric Rice
01-20-07, 17:26
Thank you, everyone.

I just posted the most recent update to the site.

The bumper stickers arrived today as well.

http://www.helpbabyaoife.com/images/sticker5.jpg

http://www.helpbabyaoife.com

SuicideHz
01-20-07, 19:28
I and the family will pray for her too Eric.

Eric Rice
02-02-07, 14:26
Quick update:

I spoke to my sister last night and she sounded very good. Aoife is continuing to gain weight, and is taking the bottle. She is still on the feeding tube, but it developed a blockage. She is still undergoing breathing treatments daily, and making trips to JCMC on a daily basis. A family friend has graciously offered the use of their SUV to allow my sister to transport the whole family if need be. They are still having problems with their Jeep and old pickup truck, so this is a great help.

The heart surgery is probably going to take place at UVA, which is a 5-6 hour commute. This will require an overnight stay for each trip (the surgery and each follow-up visit). It sounds like my sister and her husband may have to stay up there for a week during the surgery and recovery. More time off work for him...

The good news is, that it looks like Aoife will be approved for MedicAid. I certainly hope so, as the hospital bills have already begun to arrive. The helo flight wasn't cheap.

She has come so far in the last week, and has proven to be a little fighter. Her parents are very encouraged and the whole family is forever grateful for everyone's generosity and especially their prayers. They thank you all, as do I. I'm encouraged to see what kind of people frequent this little corner of the Internet.

You have my gratitude. I'll keep you posted.

Pinnacle
02-02-07, 15:20
[QUOTE=Eric Rice]Quick update:

The helo flight wasn't cheap. QUOTE]

You got that right! A friend of mine had a complicated childbirth about three years ago and took a 45 minute ride in an emergency helo that cost more than most used cars.

I continue to pray for your niece and family. Thank you for the update.

Pinnacle

Bravo30
02-03-07, 00:37
In Gaelic Aoife means beautiful, and radiant. Looking at the pictures on the website I believe no other name could be more befitting such a precious girl. Additionally, in Celtic lore Aoife was the greatest female warrior in the world. Judging by what a fighter this little girl is, no name could be better for her. God bless Aoife and your family.

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

rayray
02-04-07, 15:05
God bless Her. Prayers made, donation today.

Dave L.
02-04-07, 16:08
Eric,

Still praying and still donating!

Keep the updates coming,
Dave

Joseywales
02-05-07, 21:47
Prayers sent.

Eric Rice
02-08-07, 14:19
Thanks, guys. Thank you so much!

I just got word that her heart surgery is scheduled for the 27th at UVA. The doctor told my sister to plan on staying up there for at least 2 weeks. Her 4 siblings will be staying up here with my parents.

nickdrak
02-26-07, 19:39
Eric,

Please let us know how the surgery went, if you can.

God bless your family,
ND

me1911
02-26-07, 19:59
Prayers sent.

Chris_C
02-26-07, 23:44
Eric,

let us know if anything related to logistics needs to be done. We have the know hows and whos to get stuff done.

Chris sends...

Eric Rice
02-27-07, 08:33
Baby Aoife went under the knife at 6:30 EST this morning, at UVA Children's Hospital. Please keep her in your prayers.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I hear.

HAMMERDROP
02-27-07, 08:54
Prayers inbound and right now I have an open line with the Man.

K.L. Davis
02-27-07, 11:32
Our thoughts and Prayers are with her.

Eric Rice
02-27-07, 20:21
The procedure went smoothly, thank God. Took about 6 hours. There were two holes perforating the left and right walls - atrial and ventrical. They used cow intestine to patch the holes. She required a unit of blood.

Word is, she's doing well, and will be off the ventilator soon. The doctor is optimistic.

I was able to visit with her siblings over pizza this evening. Mom and Dad have them for the next 2 weeks. They're all troopers. It was great to hear them tell me about their sister and how she's doing. "Sissy's surgery is over", said one. "Aoife is better", said another.

I'm relieved, but I know this is only the next step in a long road for this little girl. Thanks to everyone for the help thus far.

K.L. Davis
02-27-07, 23:21
"Sissy's surgery is over"
"Aoife is better"

Best news I have got in a while right there :)

God Bless you and yours Eric...

usmcgrunt
02-27-07, 23:45
Prayers Sent Brother!

Grunt Out!

nickdrak
03-01-07, 01:14
Great news! Made my day man!!!:D

K.L. Davis
03-05-07, 12:24
March 2nd:

"Aoife is out of the PICU as of noon. She is doing really well. They say we could be going home as early as Monday. Attached is a video I captured just a minute ago."

Buckaroo
03-05-07, 12:57
March 2nd:

"Aoife is out of the PICU as of noon. She is doing really well. They say we could be going home as early as Monday. Attached is a video I captured just a minute ago."

Cool! We will keep praying!

dubb-1
03-05-07, 13:20
Prayers continue...

REnightstalker
03-05-07, 21:14
my thoughts and prayers as well as my familys are with you and your family during this hard time. my prayers are with you all.