PDA

View Full Version : Fitting front sight tool.....where?

Gunzilla
06-15-09, 14:35
Bought a front sight tool and found (at the range) that it doesn't fit all the way down between the front sight blades, and thus will not push the detent down. :rolleyes:

Just got back from a local gun store that had one tool in the store......and it didn't fit either. So, where can I find a front sight tool (A2 style) that will fit?

Thanks in advance.

What amazes me is that there are quite a few companies selling these same tools, don't the buyers for these companies have a clue? Do they ever do sample test fits of the parts or tools they purchase to ensure quality control? :confused:

Ok, I'm done with my brief rant....now to package up that POS sight tool and send it back! :mad:

Saginaw79
06-15-09, 14:48
Use the tip of a cartridge!

5pins
06-15-09, 15:11
Check to see if any of the protrusions on the tool are bent. I got one where I had to striating them out. You also may need take a small file and clean off some of the burrs.

Gunzilla
06-15-09, 15:21
Check to see if any of the protrusions on the tool are bent. I got one where I had to striating them out. You also may need take a small file and clean off some of the burrs.

I'll take a closer look just to be sure. Based on what I saw at the range it's the outside that is too big around to go down far enough to engage the detent, the tool hit both blades of the front sight before the pin on the tool touches the detent.

(I know about the bullet tip method (great for emergencies), but I prefer using the proper tool.)

bkb0000
06-15-09, 16:47
i use a pencil eraser and anything pointy, usually a cartridge or my pocket knife. impale the eraser with the FSP, press the detent, and spin away.

Gunzilla
06-15-09, 17:05
i use a pencil eraser and anything pointy, usually a cartridge or my pocket knife. impale the eraser with the FSP, press the detent, and spin away.

THAT...... is brilliant! Always wondered what I was going to do with that box of #2 pencils I've had for about ten years........problem solved, thanks!! :D

carbinero
06-15-09, 17:25
Killer, BKB. Chaulking this one up for top 10 WECSOG award.

tinman44
06-15-09, 20:34
http://www.multitaskertools.com/info.html

i'll be posting a review later tonight in the tactical knives section.

PlatoCATM
06-15-09, 21:01
I have one made by Fulton Armory that works pretty well, but I have also used one that was ordered through Brigade HQ (IIRC) that was too big to do its job.

Left Sig
06-15-09, 21:07
The tool I bought a while ago wouldn't fit either. I had to straighten all the tabs and since then it has been fine. Except now I use XS white stripe front sights and they come with their own tool...

carbinero
06-16-09, 02:36
A buddy of mine got one from BCM. Works perfectly.

Gunzilla
06-16-09, 13:38
A buddy of mine got one from BCM. Works perfectly.

After reading the review I ordered the 'multitool' listed above, thanks to Tinman for the link and nicely written review, and everyone that responded (especially to BKB for sharing his ingenious method, 2 pencils are now in my range bag :D).

Pappabear
06-16-09, 21:06
I bought two Front site tools (DPMS) from Midway, 4 and five prong, just to make sure I was covered. Neither worked on any of my Colts, LMT or Noveske guns. I Had to use a 223 cartridge. But that wasn't the plan. I'm not smart enough to do that quickly. It was a labor of love. The blades were too wide on the tool.