PDA

View Full Version : Large Black Widow

06-15-09, 15:05
While doing the annual spring garage cleaning, I came across this big girl. I probably had my hand right next to her 3-4X, sometimes for 30-45 seconds. She was docile and when I moved her around for pictures, she was easy going. I've been around black widows my whole life and have never seen one this big. With her legs outstretched, she was as large as a silver dollar.

She was so big, the amount of venom she carried and could inject, might be enough for that rare widow bite that killed. Her abdomen was huge. I've never been scared around b. widows but this one kept me on edge. When I was taking her portrait, I glanced up at a hawk that was calling. While looking up, my cat brushed my leg. I nearly sh** on myself. I jumped straight up and did a dance that would make Michael Jackson proud. Might of even made some sort of MJ noise also.

I would have normally carried her way into the woods and let her go. Not this one. I really don't want any of her huge offspring around the house. Just too damn big. I did some research and it seems she was a Northern Black Widow based on her markings. I've never seen one here(central NC), we usually have the shiny solid black ones with the classic red hourglass on the belly.

The large brown spider was on a door. This one was as large as the palm of my hand. No idea what kind. I ran it off hoping it will kill plenty of insects around the house.

JimmyB62
06-15-09, 18:38
I'm not gonna sleep for a week..........................:eek:

ZDL
06-15-09, 19:16
****. That. Shit. [/end thread]

RAM Engineer
06-15-09, 19:24
I'd never seen a black widow in person until I moved into my house 6 years ago. I kill probably 1 a year on the outside of the house. I don't fear them as much as I do Brown Recluses (reclusi?)

JSandi
06-15-09, 19:47
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr134/jsandi1201/motivator8563656.jpg

:eek:

Icculus
06-15-09, 20:07
Yeah--he had to die. While I love nature, I hate spiders and that fool had to go. We get our share too here in western NC. Last run in, my folks are out of town and I had tweaked my back so I went to soak in their hot tub. There I am minding my own business when I look up and right beside my hand (maybe 2 in.) and close to where I had reached a couple times to take off the cover was one about the same size. I dealt with him and tried to resume but quickly realized I was about as far away from relaxed as possible and sore back be damned, hot tub time was over.

Cohibra45
06-15-09, 21:08
Use to get some like that when I was growing up in Catawba Co. They were scary only when they surprised you. Most of the time, I started to look for them after I was about 8 or 9. By the time I was 11 or so, they just got smashed.

I still look before sending my hand into places that are dark and warm.

Good luck!!!:D:D:D

Longhorn
06-15-09, 23:28
Asked my GF if she's seen any of these around the house (being in Eastern NC).

Luckily she said no...but now there's one more spider on my list to ID then kill when she screams lol.

thespyhunter
06-15-09, 23:40
****. That. Shit. [/end thread]

affirmative :D

DRich
06-16-09, 00:03
If that had appeared at my house, the pictures would have shown the greasy aftermath of a violent arachnid death. No way in hell I'm letting it live long enough to go get a camera.

I've been bitten twice by black widows and once by a brown recluse. Don't get me started on the massive bastards I saw in Brazil a few years back. They are my sworn enemy. To paraphrase Adm. Halsey, "Before I'm done with them, the spider language will be spoken only in Hell."

kal
06-16-09, 00:19
:D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3630905289_ababc0bc4e.jpg?v=0

hotwheelsjr
06-16-09, 04:28
Yeah, that bitch woulda been visiting Charlotte in heaven. We get a ton of 'em here in AZ. They die, no questions asked.

kry226
06-16-09, 06:03
[Snake Support Mode] No! Spiders do an incredible service to us all! If we kill all the spiders, then we all may be overcome by the sinister insect population explosion. [/Snake Support Mode]

:D

exkc135driver
06-16-09, 11:02
Ewwwww!!!

larry0071
06-16-09, 11:10
I'm pretty fond of snakes.... but spiders get to me bad. I do not do spiders. Death to all 8 legged monsters that invade my territory.

Alaskapopo
06-17-09, 00:32
While doing the annual spring garage cleaning, I came across this big girl. I probably had my hand right next to her 3-4X, sometimes for 30-45 seconds. She was docile and when I moved her around for pictures, she was easy going. I've been around black widows my whole life and have never seen one this big. With her legs outstretched, she was as large as a silver dollar.

She was so big, the amount of venom she carried and could inject, might be enough for that rare widow bite that killed. Her abdomen was huge. I've never been scared around b. widows but this one kept me on edge. When I was taking her portrait, I glanced up at a hawk that was calling. While looking up, my cat brushed my leg. I nearly sh** on myself. I jumped straight up and did a dance that would make Michael Jackson proud. Might of even made some sort of MJ noise also.

I would have normally carried her way into the woods and let her go. Not this one. I really don't want any of her huge offspring around the house. Just too damn big. I did some research and it seems she was a Northern Black Widow based on her markings. I've never seen one here(central NC), we usually have the shiny solid black ones with the classic red hourglass on the belly.

The large brown spider was on a door. This one was as large as the palm of my hand. No idea what kind. I ran it off hoping it will kill plenty of insects around the house.

Ok I freely admit I am hate spiders and would as soon kill one as to look at it. I am glad we don't have the poisonous ones up here in Alaska.
Pat

Alaskapopo
06-17-09, 00:34
If that had appeared at my house, the pictures would have shown the greasy aftermath of a violent arachnid death. No way in hell I'm letting it live long enough to go get a camera.

I've been bitten twice by black widows and once by a brown recluse. Don't get me started on the massive bastards I saw in Brazil a few years back. They are my sworn enemy. To paraphrase Adm. Halsey, "Before I'm done with them, the spider language will be spoken only in Hell."

How were the bites did you have long term injuries.
pat

DRich
06-17-09, 00:52
How were the bites did you have long term injuries.
pat

The BW bites were painful for several days. Both bites were on my wrists. Localized swelling and redness. Docs gave me some antibotics and steroids both times...no long term affects. Other than intense spider hatred, of course. :)

The recluse bite was much worse. It was under my pillow and bit me on the side of my face, just under my left ear. No pain at first, but that changed in a hurry. I got to the ER about 30min after the bite and necrosis had already set in. The whole left side of my head felt like it was on fire and there were red streaks extending from the bite area. I had a pretty severe reaction and spent 36 hours in the hospital. The tissue around the bite had to be removed due to the necrosis and I have a pockmark about the size of a pencil eraser. This happened 8yrs ago and I still have occasional shooting pains from the site due to permanent nerve damage.

hotwheelsjr
06-17-09, 04:39
The BW bites were painful for several days. Both bites were on my wrists. Localized swelling and redness. Docs gave me some antibotics and steroids both times...no long term affects. Other than intense spider hatred, of course. :)

The recluse bite was much worse. It was under my pillow and bit me on the side of my face, just under my left ear. No pain at first, but that changed in a hurry. I got to the ER about 30min after the bite and necrosis had already set in. The whole left side of my head felt like it was on fire and there were red streaks extending from the bite area. I had a pretty severe reaction and spent 36 hours in the hospital. The tissue around the bite had to be removed due to the necrosis and I have a pockmark about the size of a pencil eraser. This happened 8yrs ago and I still have occasional shooting pains from the site due to permanent nerve damage.

:eek: Yeah, screw that. I've heard the recluse makes a heck of a mess and you just solidified it. A buddy of mine on the other side of town was bit by a recluse on the arm -- left a hole in his arm damn near to the bone and as big around as a 12ga shell. Nastiest shit I ever seen...

91Bravo
06-17-09, 07:15
Be sure to shoot that big guy between the eyes. If you wound them they might charge. :D Haha

warpigM-4
06-17-09, 07:51
I'm pretty fond of snakes.... but spiders get to me bad. I do not do spiders. Death to all 8 legged monsters that invade my territory.
what he said death to all:eek:

OldNavyGuy
06-17-09, 09:31
http://entomology.unl.edu/images/spiders/blkwidow1.jpg

The adult female is glossy black with a bright orange to red hourglass shaped marking on the underside of her abdomen. When mature she measures 1 1/2 inches with legs extended. The males also have the red hourglass marking but are cream and tan in color and much smaller in size.

our BW,s here in the desert look like the top photo, i have killed many, many of them, your spider don't really fit this description, your spider has irregular markings on it's back which indicates it is a northern black widow spider is recognized by its row of red spots (upper surface) and two crosswise bars (undersurface).

http://images.medicinenet.com/images/SlideShow/black_vs_brown_northern_s4.jpg

Brown recluse spiders are notable for their characteristic violin pattern on the back.

http://images.medicinenet.com/images/SlideShow/black_vs_brown_habits_s9.jpg

go here for more info:
http://www.medicinenet.com/black_widow_brown_recluse_pictures_slideshow/article.htm

scan through the photos till you get to the part where they show the results of a Brown Recluse bite..., very nasty if you are weak of stomach, the photo of the wound where the rubber gloved hand will certainly make you sick !! but don't say i did not warn you

Mac5.56
06-17-09, 12:02
Never mind, I just looked at the last photo. Damn that is big!

Irish
06-17-09, 13:18
WARNING GRAPHIC: Brown recluse bites here http://www.ascendedhealth.com/brown-recluse/bite-picture.htm.
Worse here. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/spider_bite_brown_recluse_spider_bite/page11_em.htm

Example:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8756/brownreclusebite.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/brownreclusebite.jpg/)

dirksterg30
06-17-09, 13:49
Be sure to shoot that big guy between the eyes. If you wound them they might charge. :D Haha

So what round is recommended for the black widow and brown recluse?

06-17-09, 14:05
On the last pic I posted of the widow dead and belly up, there is a story. I first shot it with a 9mm but, the round bounced off without doing any damage(just stunned it), bounced off the pavement, ricocheted into the cat, bounced off the cat, and dribbled to a stop several feet away, perfectly intact. I took the picture of the stunned, but basically uninjured, spider.

I then ran inside, grabbed my new HK in .45, and shot it. The round disentegrated the spider, ricocheted off the asphalt, went through a large tree, right through a granite outcropping, through another tree, and then lodged about three feet deep in a massive oak tree. There was a huge wound cavity, branches were blown off, and the tree is already dead. This perfectly illustrates the ineptness of the 9mm and the battleship-like qualities of the .45. This should put all debate to rest about 9mm and .45 effectiveness.:p:D:cool:

dirksterg30
06-17-09, 14:33
On the last pic I posted of the widow dead and belly up, there is a story. I first shot it with a 9mm but, the round bounced off without doing any damage(just stunned it), bounced off the pavement, ricocheted into the cat, bounced off the cat, and dribbled to a stop several feet away, perfectly intact. I took the picture of the stunned, but basically uninjured, spider.

I then ran inside, grabbed my new HK in .45, and shot it. The round disentegrated the spider, ricocheted off the asphalt, went through a large tree, right through a granite outcropping, through another tree, and then lodged about three feet deep in a massive oak tree. There was a huge wound cavity, branches were blown off, and the tree is already dead. This perfectly illustrates the ineptness of the 9mm and the battleship-like qualities of the .45. This should put all debate to rest about 9mm and .45 effectiveness.:p:D:cool:

DAMN! Guess I'll have to sell all my handguns and start from scratch! Next you'll tell me that 5.56 is only good for shooting poodles.

Icculus
06-17-09, 16:29
Lets keep the photos of rotting hands linked instead of actually in the thread:D

DAMN! Guess I'll have to sell all my handguns and start from scratch! Next you'll tell me that 5.56 is only good for shooting poodles.

Only small poodles. I'd say .458 socom ;)

CarlosDJackal
06-17-09, 16:48
KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!!!! :eek:

CarlosDJackal
07-09-09, 18:16
I came across the first Black Widow since I moved in almost 8-years ago. Yesterday, I decided to trim some branches that were hovering over my back porch and close to my house.

Today after work, I decided to dispose of the branches and I came across this critter which was hiding under one of them. Talk about getting freaked out!! :eek:

Even though it was too weak to move, I sprayed the hell out of it with Spider Killer and eventually shot it with my suppressed .22LR. :p But not after I took a picture of it:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/CarlosDJackal/BlackWidowJuly92009.jpg

07-09-09, 21:39
Looks like a Northern Black Widow. I had been keeping an eye on a female with an egg sac(didn't kill her b/c she was eating lots of bugs) until they hatched. Took a picture of her with around a hundred children. Did the same as you. Blasted them with spider killer. Can't have a boat load of Black Widows hatched and running around the garage/house. I'll look for the pictures and try to post tomorrow. She had the classic hourglass and was very docile. Didn't care about us, didn't try to get us. Ate her bugs and seemed content.

mashed68
07-09-09, 21:48
I've seen some giant black widows here in phoenix. My parents have a few every year under their RV shed where I keep one of my trucks. I keep a can of starter fluid and a propane torch just for spider removal. I try and imagine them screaming help me as they burn. I hate spiders.

RancidSumo
07-09-09, 22:02
HOLY ****ING SHIT!
I am glad I live in Wyoming where these bastards only live in the one or two warm, damp places in the state. I don't think there are hardly any BR spiders in Wyoming either (we just have to wory about poisonous snakes, bears, big cats, and rednecks)

CarlosDJackal
07-14-09, 12:02
A co-worker shared these pictures. This nest was at the front door of his apartment!! :eek:

http://thunderzone.delvern.com/gallery/spiders/P1000431?full=1

http://thunderzone.delvern.com/gallery/spiders/blackwidow_10?full=1

TOrrock
07-14-09, 13:35
I run into them just about every day at work.....

Wasp spray does a number on them, and in a pinch, so does Windex.

Brother Rat
07-14-09, 14:59
Did someone say spiders?:D
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/Brotherrat/100_1714.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what spider bit me, but the doc and I agree that whatever it was deposited some nasty stuff under my skin. Woke up one morning with a little itchy lump and thought nothing of it; one week later it was swollen, black and painful. Finally got to the hospital... lanced drained and packed and on antibiotics. This picture was taken the other day, almost a month out from the initial bite.

F--K spiders!:mad:

larry0071
07-14-09, 15:03
That looks how a mouth ulcer feels. I hope to never be able to share an experiance such as that spider bite with anyone.

F that, it looks like getting shot would be easier to heal from!

kry226
07-14-09, 20:26
I run into them just about every day at work.....

Wasp spray does a number on them, and in a pinch, so does Windex.
Roger that. Got that tip from the pest control guy. He said just use Windex as it kills bugs as dead as anything he could use. It's great for use around a house full of kids.

CarlosDJackal
07-15-09, 07:04
Brother Rat,

That sure looks like a Brown Recluse bite. :eek: I hope it heals completely and quickly!!

Derek_Connor
07-15-09, 10:01
In the last 2 months I've had two acquaintences that have had their dogs killed by animals. One a cotton mouth, the other some type of spider.

Felt so bad for them...

I'd burn down an entire park to kill a ****ing spider that killed my pets.:mad:

Who knows what I'd end up with if one bit me...

wargasm
07-15-09, 12:27
Use to get some like that when I was growing up in Catawba Co. They were scary only when they surprised you. Most of the time, I started to look for them after I was about 8 or 9. By the time I was 11 or so, they just got smashed.

I still look before sending my hand into places that are dark and warm.

Good luck!!!:D:D:D

The dark and warm places that I put my hands better ****ing not have critters in it, jeez!

SteyrAUG
07-15-09, 15:09
Sometimes the best solution is to burn down the house and start from scratch.

Honu
07-15-09, 16:04
I have seen a few since moving to the mainland !!!! freaky things for sure

the only freaky spiders I used to get in Maui were cane spiders !! big and fast but not going to hurt you like a black widow

now the giant centipedes were bad news !!!! I used to get them around a foot long all the time :)

Sam
07-15-09, 16:25
I saw this thread kinda late, from the title, I thought it was about "meeshell obama". :D

SteyrAUG
07-16-09, 01:22
I saw this thread kinda late, from the title, I thought it was about "meeshell obama". :D

It didn't have Wookie in the title.

dookie1481
07-16-09, 15:52
I took a walk with my girlfriend the other night. Every 10 feet or so, where each section of brick wall started, was a black widow bigger than the one you saw.

Now I live in Las Vegas, where there are TONS of black widows, but I have never seen so many big ones in a row. I got that creepy itchy feeling people sometimes get after seeing bugs. I ****ing hate spiders.

Jay

CarlosDJackal
07-16-09, 16:33
There seem to be a bumper crop of Black Widow spiders this season. I don't mind most spiders. But I freaking hate poisonous ones (Black Widow, Brown Recluse, etc.).

Dennis
07-16-09, 16:50
I give spiders a chance... I just use an airsoft G18!

CarlosDJackal
07-16-09, 19:25
I found another one!! :eek: This one had 3 red dots and had built a web outside my basement's window. It was a bit smaller and it dies a very slow, painful death.

First, I sprayed it with "Indoor Insect" killer. When it tried to get away, I sprayed it with 'Spider Killer'. Then I soaked it in Windex. When it wasn't moving anymore, I took it down via shovel and seperated it's main body from the rest of it using a twig.

Now I'm really wigged out!! I'm wondering how many of those bastards are living IN my house and where the hell are they? I have lot of nooks and crannies in my home plus I'm willing to bet there are some living in my crawl space. :(

mashed68
07-16-09, 20:22
Now I'm really wigged out!! I'm wondering how many of those bastards are living IN my house and where the hell are they? I have lot of nooks and crannies in my home plus I'm willing to bet there are some living in my crawl space. :(

Sometimes the best solution is to burn down the house and start from scratch.

Tada.

exkc135driver
07-16-09, 23:34

Probably lots and lots. Have you looked in all the closets? What about the chair you're sitting on right now? You know, I bet there's one under your chair right now just waiting to jump on you ... wait, look! There's one dangling from the ceiling right over your head! No, not that way, the other! Right there ... over your left ear ... hey, what about your bed? I bet there is a whole NEST of them under your bed. Just think, after you snoozle off tonight, a platoon of those nasty, icky, 8-legged things will silently troop up the mattress ... creep up the pillow ... ever so gently march up your neck ... one will investigate the inside of your ear ...

Sleep well tonight. :D

CarlosDJackal
07-16-09, 23:50
Probably lots and lots. Have you looked in all the closets? What about the chair you're sitting on right now? You know, I bet there's one under your chair right now just waiting to jump on you ... wait, look! There's one dangling from the ceiling right over your head! No, not that way, the other! Right there ... over your left ear ... hey, what about your bed? I bet there is a whole NEST of them under your bed. Just think, after you snoozle off tonight, a platoon of those nasty, icky, 8-legged things will silently troop up the mattress ... creep up the pillow ... ever so gently march up your neck ... one will investigate the inside of your ear ...

Sleep well tonight. :D

LOL. Dood, I spent 4-years in the Infantry half of which was at Fort Benning, GA. Plus, I grew up in the Philippines so I've had my share or spider and bug bites.

Have you ever have a winged/biting roach crawl up your leg? I have - plenty of times. Nice try though. :p

dookie1481
07-17-09, 02:39
LOL. Dood, I spent 4-years in the Infantry half of which was at Fort Benning, GA. Plus, I grew up in the Philippines so I've had my share or spider and bug bites.

Have you ever have a winged/biting roach crawl up your leg? I have - plenty of times. Nice try though. :p

Haha I spent 4 years in the forests of NC, I know what you mean.

Still, that shit freaks me out :p

Jay

Palmguy
07-19-09, 11:33
The hose valve on the side of my house is broken, so I went to Lowe's and picked up a replacement today. Opened up the lid to the water meter to shut off the water to the house so I could replace it, and found this little girl sitting there looking at me...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/blackwidow.jpg

Appreciate the advice in this thread, I don't have any insect killer at the moment and she was out of reach for me to comfortably try to smash her...I just blasted the hell out of her with Windex and I think she will soon be departed (if she isn't already).

I do have to say, I was tempted to put a 124gr Ranger +P JHP into her but that might upset the neighbors :eek:

kwelz
07-19-09, 13:00
I hate spiders. No scratch that. I ****ING HATE SPIDERS.

I have been shot at, attacked with a knife, ganged up on by multiple people and had my car fly off an overpass into a swollen stream. Not one of those occurrences brought out the same level of fear and panic that spiders can in me. I can not even see photos of them sometimes without getting the shivers. Every time I saw a photo posted in this thread I would squint my eyes and scroll fast.

Yes it is irrational, but that doesn't change the fact that I react that way.

Palmguy
07-19-09, 13:08
Windex didn't work. I drowned that stupid thing, just went back and looked and that bitch is right back on her web where she started. Off to get something more lethal.

kwelz
07-19-09, 13:10
Starter fluid or Carb Cleaner and a lighter. Trust me it does the job.

CarlosDJackal
07-19-09, 15:27
Windex didn't work. I drowned that stupid thing, just went back and looked and that bitch is right back on her web where she started. Off to get something more lethal.

Were you using the "Green" Ammonia-free Windex? :eek:

Palmguy
07-19-09, 18:35
Were you using the "Green" Ammonia-free Windex? :eek:

Nah...it was the standard blue Windex.

Coaxed her out of her hole with a long reach magnet; she hopped on...once I got her above ground she was introduced to needle-nose pliers. Fire wasn't an option on this one as she was in close proximity to my water meter and water pump and I didn't want to damage any of that and have the city knocking on my door asking questions.