PDA

View Full Version : Noob question on barrel length

Herkemer
06-15-09, 19:21
Hi All,

My search foo on M4carbine.net aint working good.

I just bought a barrel that is 14.5". I measured it and it is that length overall. But, when I started thinking about it, the exposed portion of the barrel would be about 1" less when the rifle is assembled. With the flash suppressor pinned, the overal length would be 16" including the unexposed part.

I remember a long time ago hearing about a dude who got into trouble over a shotgun, where the ATF measured the barrel from the exposed portion coming out of the reciever to the end and it was short.

I guess I know that pinned 14.5" barrels that are 16" oal are good. A lot of guys here are doing it., but has anyone here had to explain the short exposed length to anyone who cared?

I have too much time on my hands, I guess I'm looking for that feel good feeling about it.......

Thanks,
Orvis

Cagemonkey
06-15-09, 19:46
I'm pretty sure barrel length is measured from the face of the bolt in the locked position in the barrel ext. to the muzzle.

spamsammich
06-15-09, 19:55
I'm pretty sure barrel length is measured from the face of the bolt in the locked position in the barrel ext. to the muzzle.

What he said.

bkb0000
06-15-09, 19:58
pinning 14.5's has been done since the beginning.. the ATF has issued a lot of statements proclaiming the legality. no worries, just make sure you use a long flash hider and pin it correctly

DRich
06-15-09, 20:06

This is correct. The barrels are measured from the muzzle by dropping a rod down the barrel until it rests against the boltface.

Herkemer
06-15-09, 21:24
Thanks alot Guys!

That clears it up for me permanently. This place is a great resource!