PDA

View Full Version : Laser t-marks vs. machined t-marks

mechelaar
06-15-09, 20:15
I recently contacted a well respected (and deservedly so) manufacturer and inquired about them switching from laser etched t-marks to machined t-marks on their uppers. I recently purchased an upper directly from them with (what I believed were) machined marks. I was assured by the manufacturer that they do not make any uppers with machined t-marks. I am now confused. Maybe I don’t get the difference. Can anyone post pictures of laser etched vs. machined? After three emails with the manufacturer, I realized I was probably starting to get annoying. I also didn’t want to question the manufacturer too much (they certainly know their product better than I do).

My understanding of laser etching is that it goes no deeper than the anodization. The markings on my new upper, however, are deep and seem to be white color filled (like color filling on a lower’s roll mark) rather than flat, like the t-markings on my two other laser etched uppers. Anyway, now I just am trying to figure out what the difference is. Any pictures anyone has for comparison would be great. Are there different types of laser etching? Thanks.

P.S. Manufacturer, if you happen to read this, I’m sorry for taking up so much of your time with my e-mails. I’m just kinda confused and trying to straighten this out in my head.:confused:

ohiorifleman
06-15-09, 20:22
Don't know if this helps but I've had both from Bravo Company- the laser ones were white and reasonably deep- the machined ones were anodized with the rest of the receiver (black).
I have seen laser ones that were light and in a different font before- can't remember on who's rifle though.

DRich
06-15-09, 20:24
Are there different types of laser etching? Thanks.

Yes...depth of the etching depends on how many passes they make with the laser. Multiple passes can make the etching quite deep.

However, it's really a non-issue as it's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect function in any way. I have uppers with machined and etched T markings and I honestly couldn't care less which is which. It just annoys me when they are colored white.

mechelaar
06-15-09, 20:27
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm not at all worried about it, nor do I consider it an issue. I am now just curious and want to figure out exactly what the difference is. Anyone got any pics?