PDA

View Full Version : What type rail system is on the Armys M4.

BriansM4
06-16-09, 08:16
I am doing some research on my AR carbine and the upgrades I want to add. I am really thinking of getting a rail system, and Im stuck on weather to get a free float or a drop in system. I have read the pros and cons of each, and I decided to see what the military is using...hey if anyone knows its them right(not to mention its battle tested).
Please correct me if Im wrong, but it looks like the US military uses a drop in system, or adds the rails to the standard handguards. So am I right? If so does that mean the army finds the auccracy of the M4 acceptable with a non free float system(which looks like the biggest con of a drop in system)?
Thanks

Iraqgunz
06-16-09, 08:20
Brain,

Across the board the U.S Army as well as some others are using the Knights Armament rail system. I will venture to say that most people cannot shoot to the accuracy of their weapon whether they have a free-floated system or not.

kyrin88
06-16-09, 08:25
The army uses a knights armament RAS(drop in piece) on their M4s, which by the way is an excellent rail system. they usually go for 350 brand new, but I got one on eBay for $150.00(authentic, I will post detailed pics when I get camera). The free float systems are controversial, very few FF rail systems has had battle experience( cant tell you who). I recommend the Knights Armament RAS, they are very light, durable and well made, hell that's why the damn army uses them.:D

Frens
06-16-09, 08:29
I agree with Iraqgunz,
FF rail would be the last accessory I'd put on a rifle, even a precision rifle.

OP, if all you want is a way to put a light or a VFG on your SHTF carbine get a drop in rail system: cheaper & easier to put on/ remove

DRich
06-16-09, 08:41
The free float systems are controversial, very few FF rail systems has had battle experience( cant tell you who).

There are quite a few FF rails being used in the sandbox by various units and contractors. I don't think there is any real controversy.

kyrin88
06-16-09, 08:45
There are quite a few FF rails being used in the sandbox by various units and contractors. I don't think there is any real controversy.

You are probably right, could you specify which brands of FF systems are being used in the sandbox? I would like to know more about the FF systems, because it seems that everyone and their grandmother is installing them on their metal.

Iraqgunz
06-16-09, 08:45
Everyone of our carbines has a free floated rail-just not the best brand. I see no issue with them if they are good quality and installed properly. My only real complaint is that it's a bitch to clean under the barrel area (with our set up). YMMV.

The army uses a knights armament RAS(drop in piece) on their M4s, which by the way is an excellent rail system. they usually go for 350 brand new, but I got one on eBay for $150.00(authentic, I will post detailed pics when I get camera). The free float systems are controversial, very few FF rail systems has had battle experience( cant tell you who). I recommend the Knights Armament RAS, they are very light, durable and well made, hell that's why the damn army uses them.:D

jp0319
06-16-09, 09:02
Yes Knights drop in it is. That is what is on the M4 sitting next to me right now. Durable yes, Light not so much. I think the DD Omega is lighter and I have seen a few of those in use here in afghanistan, also a larue rail too. The Larue rail on a contractor gun. I am not particularly fond of the KAC rail as a whole mainly cause of weight. It serves its purpose for attaching crap.

kyrin88
06-16-09, 09:04
Yes Knights drop in it is. That is what is on the M4 sitting next to me right now. Durable yes, Light not so much. I think the DD Omega is lighter and I have seen a few of those in use here in afghanistan, also a larue rail too. The Larue rail on a contractor gun. I am not particularly fond of the KAC rail as a whole mainly cause of weight. It serves its purpose for attaching crap.

Thanks for your service to our country, and be safe out there bro.:cool:

Failure2Stop
06-16-09, 12:37
Just because the "military" uses a certain item does not mean that it is "good", "better", or "the best". While the KAC M4 RAS is an acceptable rail system, it is certainly not the "best" option, free-float or not. It is what it is, nothing less, nothing more.

Daniel Defense just picked up the SOCOM contract for rails anyway, and unlike "Big Green", they do generally get good stuff, and they are free-floated.

zchen
06-16-09, 15:04
Well, one also has to consider that at the time of the KAC RIS and RAS being adopted by the military, there were few other options avilable; I believe the only other competing rail system at the time was the ARMS SIR.

From my own research the rails in use by the US are
KAC RIS
KAC RAS
PRI railed forarm (Mk12 mod 0 SPR)
KAC FF RAS (M4 Match on the Mk12 mod1 SPR, and SR-25 type on the Mk11)
KAC URX (on the XM110 SASS)
Daniel Defense M4 Rail 12.0 (on the Army SDM-R)
DD RIS II (for Mk18 cqbr and M4 carbines)

spamsammich
06-16-09, 21:35
Navy EOD (West Coast?) uses Vltor CASV-EL on their guns, MK18 I believe.