PDA

View Full Version : My LMT's buffer tube is stuck

Veracity
06-16-09, 15:03
Guys,

I've taken lots of buffer tubes off my other rifles...but I cannot get my LMT's buffer tube off. It is on there tight.

All I'm trying to do is put one of those Ace Stubby Skeleton stocks on this LMT Defender lower. It's for my son.

I have one of those mag well inserts in the lower and it's locked in my vise. Tried spraying a little WD40 in there and let it sit overnight. No good.

I don't want to do anything drastic...but how would you suggest I proceed?

rob_s
06-16-09, 15:30
freeze it.

Veracity
06-16-09, 15:44
freeze it.

Ok, I just put it in the freezer.

:)

rob_s
06-16-09, 15:47
FWIW I don't use those magwell blocks. I'm not advocating what I do, just passing it along.

I put the lower on my bench flat on it's side with the ejection port side facing down. I then clamp it down to the bench with a quick grip clamp, and try to line that up with a spot on the lower where the aluminum goes all the way through. This allows the lower to resist the torque as I loosen the nut or the tube itself.

spamsammich
06-16-09, 16:33
I'm assuming it's the castle nut that is giving you the problem? Did you unstake the receiver end plate? If it is staked really well, it can be a real bear to get the castle nut off, no amount of WD40 will help. BTW, WD40 is a horrible choice for penetrating oil IMO. Use Kroil or PB Blaster to loosen nuts. Make sure you test the finish in an inconspicuous spot if you use PB Blaster, it can dissolve certain plastics and paint.

Veracity
06-16-09, 16:52
I should have written this up front:

The LMT Defender lower I bought from Grant came with an A2 stock...at my request. (ban state). Therefore, no castle nut. Rifle length buffer tube.

bkb0000
06-16-09, 17:31
hmm.. i have not removed an assload of A2s in my time- but as i recall, i think i've always just been able to hand twist off. is your buffer retention detent sitting in a notch on the receiver extension, perhaps?

i cant imagine grant would have loctited it, rifle REs really dont need to be in there all that tight.. the stock screw locks everything down. you might want to contact him, though.. if it's loctite, you can hit it with a propane torch and burn it up.

rob_s
06-16-09, 19:46
The bushmaster A2s I removed when the ban sunset were a BITCH to take off.

GONIF
06-16-09, 19:53
WD40 blows ,try Kroil .:D

Veracity
06-17-09, 14:01
Thanks guys....especially Rob.

The freezer worked. A few grunts & curse words...and the buffer came free.

I did not see any remnants of Loctite. Maybe it was just on there really tight.

All is right with the world.