PDA

View Full Version : VFG question

Pistola
06-16-09, 18:38
I'm thinking of getting a Tangodown VFG for a DD lite rail 7.0. I've heard people say that some have problems with them having some wiggle. Anybody have one set up in a lite rail?

vigilant2
06-16-09, 20:32
I have one on a DD Omega rail, been through one carbine course and
approximately 1100 rnds no movement. In fact I consider it the most
secure VFG I've tried. It was actually a bit of a B#@*%CH to put on:eek:

Col_Crocs
06-16-09, 22:40
It was actually a bit of a B#@*%CH to put on:eek:
Thanks for pointing that out. Ive been wondering about this as Ive been planning to purchase one just in the past week or so.
Id like to clarify one thing though with regards to this particular type of VFG... Do the "lock nubs" or whatever theyre called fit perfectly snug between rail spaces or is it held and locked in place primarily by spring pressure?

bkb0000
06-16-09, 22:42
all my TDs wiggle a little.. aint no thang, you don't notice it while you're lobbing rounds.

vigilant2
06-16-09, 23:12
Do the "lock nubs" or whatever theyre called fit perfectly snug between rail spaces or is it held and locked in place primarily by spring pressure?

In both cases that I've dealt with the TD VFG, the "nubs" fit VERY snugly into
place between the rails. The first time was on a RRA Entry tactical that I bought
used (low rnd count). The previous owner had put the TD grip on with the
pressure pad cutout on the lefthand side and waaay too close to the magwell.
All attempts to remove the grip were futile (probably due to an out of spec RRA
freefloat rail). I ended up destroying the grip to get it off.
I currently have a TD VFG on my Charles Daly M4LE with the aforementioned
Omega rail. I simply followed the directions (using the included zip-ties) but I
found that by applying a little breakfree onto both the length of the rail and the
inside surface of the grip installation was alot easier than if I left it dry.

As I said _mine_ is rock solid with no wiggle whatsoever.

Jerz_subbie
06-17-09, 00:05
I have a TD vfg on a Troy rail and DD Lite. They both have a little wiggle, if they didn't you'd have to hammer them onto the rails. I'm happy with them, just wish I had got the stubby versions.

bkb0000
06-17-09, 00:21
just wish I had got the stubby versions.

whysat?

Failure2Stop
06-17-09, 01:24
I use the TD VFGs and find them to be notably tight on any in-spec rail. Notably tight as in I generally resort to whacking the VFG on. They are kept in position by the lugs locking between rails through spring pressure on two lugs. I theorise that those that find them loose have either out of spec rails, worn rails, out of spec VFG, or a worn VFG.

I think that the QD version may be worth the extra expense since it makes mounting easier, doesn't require the user to take off anything forward of the VFG on the 6 rail if you want to take it off, and is much less sensitive (as far as wobble is concerned) to either the rail or VFG being out of spec or worn.

Rider79
06-17-09, 02:45
I had to hammer the shit out of mine to get it on my 12" Lite rail. It was annoying enough that all my other TD VFGs are the QD version.

vscales
06-17-09, 03:53
My BGV-MK46K is incredibly tight on my LaRue 9.0. It is nigh impossible to remove without the 'grip chips'.

If I was going to be using the carbine as a blunt weapon, I would DEFINITELY be confident in tomahawk chopping somebody to death with the heel of the VFG.

Pistola
06-17-09, 04:19
Thanks guys, I guess I'm going to look for a QD version. It seems to fit my needs. I like the option of taking the grip of sometimes. And by the looks of it, if the regular one with the nubs is hard to put on, I could imagine taking it off.

WGG
06-17-09, 07:10
I also have a TD QD VFG on my DD Omega rail. It is nice an tight with virtully no movement. The QD feature makes it easy to remove and replace quickly when shooting from a rest at the bench.

dbrowne1
06-17-09, 08:03
I have one on a DD Omega rail, been through one carbine course and
approximately 1100 rnds no movement. In fact I consider it the most
secure VFG I've tried. It was actually a bit of a B#@*%CH to put on:eek:

Ditto. I've got a DD Omega and a TD VFG, and it was a bear to get on compared to other rails I have had (mostly Larue). It was definitely not loose by any means.

I'd get the QD version if you foresee any need or desire to move it around or take it on and off. If you're just going to stick it in a position that you have already selected and like, and leave it there, then get either one.

bkb0000
06-17-09, 10:22
well either all you guys are pussies or i'm just getting small rails and tight tangos.. i've had one or two that resisted me, but nothing i had to beat the shit out of to get on.

but no matter how tight- they've ALL wobbled a little

snappy
06-17-09, 22:44
My TangoDown stubby is very tight, (Firebird Precision 2 piece billet rail), and was definitely a bit of a grunt to get on. I have to use both hands and considerable body weight to move it around even a little bit. No wiggle or play in this one!