PDA

View Full Version : i want to check my headspace

flanntastic
06-16-09, 19:49
i am not sure if i got my barrel nut up to 30lbs, i have a field gauge but the bolt won't even come close to closing, do i need to remove ejector and extractor?

PRGGodfather
06-16-09, 23:19
Does your gas tube line up?

Depending on your make the torque spec on the Barrel nut can go up to 80 lbs.

i am not sure if i got my barrel nut up to 30lbs, i have a field gauge but the bolt won't even come close to closing, do i need to remove ejector and extractor?

Puffy93
06-17-09, 00:13
how far does it close?

Iraqgunz
06-17-09, 04:06
flann,

Barrel torque ranges have been discussed here quite a bit. I would check the stickies. Off the top of my head the range is 30-80lbs. Eighty being the max. You do not need to remove the ejector. Depending on the type of gage you may need to remove the extractor. Then place the gage in the chamber, carefully insert the BCG and push it forward with light figer pressure. The bolt should NOT close. If you have done that, then you should be GTG.

Robb Jensen
06-17-09, 04:58

If using a real USGI 5.56mm NATO Field gauge you won't have to remove the extractor nor ejector.

On all my .223 Rem and 5.56mm gauges I've modified them turning them down on a lathe so that they work just like my USGI 5.56mm NATO Field gauge. I did my .308 Win and .30-06 gauge that way too.

flanntastic
06-17-09, 10:10
ok bolt wouldn't close, so its good, thanks guys!

Suber
06-28-09, 12:48
My personal opinion is 80 flbs is WAY too much. If you block your receiver and hand tighten the nut with reasonable pressure, ensuring that your gas tube groove is aligned you are good to go. It is better to undertighten than overtighten. I do not use a torque wrench.