PDA

View Full Version : accesory rail on a colt

pherharris
06-16-09, 20:17
Well, I finally did it. I purchased a NIB LE 6920. I LOVE IT!! I put an EOTech 512 on the top got a slew of Pmags. Sunday I am going to shoot it. I will post pictures soon. I always said I would never buy a Colt. I am eating my own words, but it is great. I have one question. I bought a single rail for the bottom of the handguard (I am not one who wants to load up on accessories) but there is a double heat shield without mounting holes. What do I do?

Thanks,
Chris

DRich
06-16-09, 20:24
Well, I finally did it. I purchased a NIB LE 6920. I LOVE IT!! I put an EOTech 512 on the top got a slew of Pmags. Sunday I am going to shoot it. I will post pictures soon. I always said I would never buy a Colt. I am eating my own words, but it is great. I have one question. I bought a single rail for the bottom of the handguard (I am not one who wants to load up on accessories) but there is a double heat shield without mounting holes. What do I do?

Thanks,
Chris

You'll have to pull the heat shields out to install the rail. Then you'll likely have to bend the shields a bit to reinstall them.

phirehawk
06-16-09, 21:26
I'd either get a good set of aftermarket handgaurds, or try to get a Magpul MOE handgaurd. You don't get something for nothing and I've shot some cheap handgaurd ARs that get HOT! Don't mess up that perty Colt M4 double heat shield.

Mr. Happy
06-17-09, 13:34
I'm facing the same thing with my upcoming 6920. I've decided not to replace the heat shield. I'll put a light/laser combo on either a bayonet adapter, a front sight adapter, or a barrel adapter like this one:
http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory/ar15.htm

One advantage is that it minimizes weight. There's a picture of it in the Lights forum.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=187436&postcount=72

pherharris
06-17-09, 15:27
Happy,
Does the mount being in contact with the barrel affect accuracy? Also what about the barrel mount along with their front site with the rail underneath? My real problem is that I wan to mount a forward grip.

Chris

CaptainDooley
06-17-09, 15:29
I went with the MOE + rail section for my needs. I've got a G2 in a VTAC mount right now and that's pretty much all I need right now...

kyrin88
06-17-09, 17:02

Thanks,
Chris

Hey, I know what you are going through. You want a rail system really bad this instant and you don't have enough money to purchase it. Well my advice is that you save up and get the rail. You will only **** up the orig hand guards trying to rip the heat shield out, this is why it clearly says under the hand guard, "DO NOT REMOVE"
I do not know your circumstances, but it only took me like 2 weeks to wait for the next pay check. My $:D.02

Mr. Happy
06-20-09, 09:46
Happy,
Does the mount being in contact with the barrel affect accuracy? Also what about the barrel mount along with their front site with the rail underneath? My real problem is that I want to mount a forward grip.

Chris

Not only that, but what happens when it all heats up after a couple hundred rounds? And bayo mount will get knocked around, and a front sight mount will put the light in the way of any optics I eventually add.

I'm coming to the conclusion that, to keep it simple and light, no rail or flashlight or laser - just a red dot sight and a new iron sights (flip down or not).

If a light is wanted, go for a free floating rail, and mount VFG, light, and laser at will. (Or put them all together in the new Crimson Trace MVF-515:http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/AR15/MVF515/tabid/443/Default.aspx)

phirehawk
06-20-09, 10:03
A free floated rail is really only necessary if you plan on mounting either a visible or IR laser. The other need is for extreme accuracy or heavy full auto use with a VFG. A bayonet lug rail is for light mounting and lights don't retain a zero. So, for the vast majority of users, the MOE handguard set will satisfy most people for a light and VFG. I like the 12 o'clock mounting of the light though and may have to try that. I am concerned with shadowing from my planned light mount.

I digress... back to you wanting a VFG. My uneducated free internet opinion is to go with a MagPul MOE and put a short rail with grip on that. A full rail isn't needed (unless you like a heavier rifle) as you won't be doing full auto dumps to heat the barrel to the point it could bend.

DRich
06-20-09, 11:36
A free floated rail is really only necessary if you plan on mounting either a visible or IR laser. The other need is for extreme accuracy or heavy full auto use with a VFG.

Actually, the primary benefit of a FF rail for many civvy shooters is the stability of the rail when using a VFG or sling while shooting. The FF rail will prevent POI from shifting when pressure is applied to the grip or sling mount.

phirehawk
06-20-09, 11:42
I haven't seen POI shift with a VFG. Super tight competition sling setups, maybe. You'd have to torque pretty hard to flex a cold barrel to a noticeable shift. Then again, I don't do a lot of Vert grip shooting, so YMMV.