PDA

View Full Version : ? I bought a Noveske 14.5 with Pinned Vortex

Pappabear
06-16-09, 21:17
I recently bought a 14.5 Noveske upper from BCM. Shot it , really like it...I am a firm believer in quality. I buy quality if I can afford it. My issue is this: the Vortex is pinned to make it "legal" And the pin job seems somewhat crude. The pin:confused: seems be marginally buffed or smoothed, and was never refinished or Park'ed.

Is this normal? I'm not overly concerned, but for the money, I would expect a little better attention to detail. Give me your thoughts guys.

bkb0000
06-16-09, 21:20
cold blue will fix it

DRich
06-16-09, 21:26
The pin/welding is done after the barrel is finished, so it will always look like a small blemish. As mentioned, you can touch it up with cold blue or Aluminum Black to hide it a little better.

If you're handy with a buffer, you can dress it up even more, but I don't even notice those marks anymore.

AMMOTECH
06-16-09, 21:31
Cold blue; clean it good first or it will not take.
I would leave it so that you can see it. If the question should ever come up about it being pinned...:eek:

noctis
06-16-09, 23:19
Have any pics?

Pappabear
06-17-09, 01:04
Im about function first and foremost, so it does not bother me too much. It was my gunsmith, which they do this stuff-even the good ones sometimes, that brought it to my attention. I'll clean it and put a few drops of the prescribed Cold blue on it.

I really like the gun, just was curious after the smith inquired. Thanks for the Cold Blue info!

M4Fundi
06-17-09, 01:14
I'm no expert, but the way it was explained to me is the weld is left that way so that if it is questioned by LE/ATF there is no doubt that it is legally pinned and solder/welded. This makes it more expertly done to me than having it look NOT pinned and welded. That is what I was told and it makes sense to me;)
Mine looks very well executed, yet left obvious as to what work was performed at the Vortex.

Pappabear
06-17-09, 01:24
Sounds good. I'm good with it.

bkb0000
06-17-09, 01:32
hmm... "oh i left it all ****ed up in case you get stopped by ATF agents."

when i pin/weld, i grind, polish and blue- almost impossible to notice, unless you're looking for it. just like it should be. there's no welds to leave visible with the solder method- assuredly the single most common gunsmith method.

spamsammich
06-17-09, 01:48
It's not all ****ed up, it's just conspicuous. I do the same with my pinned barrels. I'd rather not have any doubt as to whether it was pinned.

spamsammich
06-17-09, 01:52
Im about function first and foremost, so it does not bother me too much. It was my gunsmith, which they do this stuff-even the good ones sometimes, that brought it to my attention. I'll clean it and put a few drops of the prescribed Cold blue on it.

I really like the gun, just was curious after the smith inquired. Thanks for the Cold Blue info!

make sure you degrease it well when you Cold Blue it or it ends up real spotchy. My best results with that kind of stuff is after taking emery cloth to the area to expose bare metal, quickly blasting it with brake cleaner or some other degreaser, then hitting it with Cold Blue or Aluminum black.

hotwheelsjr
06-17-09, 04:20
I've had two barrels pinned and I couldn't tell on either of them a pin existed. They were done by a trusted friend of mine, so I know they were done...

M4Fundi
06-17-09, 05:11
I am planning on covering mine up.....with Krylon:p

otherwise I think it looks fine

Pappabear
06-17-09, 07:20
Ive been looking for a nice batch of "Tears of Ninja Virgins" to apply liberally. Keeps the barrel HOT!

Ziptie
06-17-09, 11:46
...I can't see it at all looking down the sights. If some ne'er-do-well gets distracted by the tiny shiny spot, he's DEFINITELY going to miss the big picture.

Zip

Todd.K
06-17-09, 15:26
We use stainless filler on the weld, cold blue will not work.

Jaeger
06-17-09, 19:14
It's normal. My N4 is exactly the same way. As it has already been said, it is for easy, hassle free ID for anyone questioning the legality of the rifle. I am fully confident that they could blend the weld so that it would be undetectable but I think that would be counter productive for most folks.
You may feel differently. To each his own.

M4Fundi
06-18-09, 00:14
My N4 is perfect and quite elegant if I do say so :p

SWATcop556
06-18-09, 00:28
All of the Noveske welds I have seen are very well done a far as pinning a FH go. ADCO also does a good job.

Leaving a obvious weld for LE/ ATF reasons seems unnecessary. I would rather have a clean looking rifle even though it does not affect function and I use my rifles.

TacBlade
06-18-09, 15:50
If for any reason that some Police Officer has to or wants to look at your rifle to see if it is pinned or not, you are more than likely in trouble anyways. You must of done something illegal for him to take a look. If some officer is trolling the firing range to find unpinned FS, he must have issues that are unknown as there are far more important things he could be doing.

Dunderway
06-18-09, 23:09
If for any reason that some Police Officer has to or wants to look at your rifle to see if it is pinned or not, you are more than likely in trouble anyways. You must of done something illegal for him to take a look. If some officer is trolling the firing range to find unpinned FS, he must have issues that are unknown as there are far more important things he could be doing.

My thoughts also. I'm sure that 99.99999% of us could use an unpinned 14.5 for the rest of our lives and not have any issues. If you're that worried about it, just carry a copy of the receipt (which should clearly state that it is pinned) in your rifle bag. If they want to take a wrench to it after that, then they can pay for the repairs and look like an ass.

Jaeger
06-18-09, 23:32
My thoughts also. I'm sure that 99.99999% of us could use an unpinned 14.5 for the rest of our lives and not have any issues. If you're that worried about it, just carry a copy of the receipt (which should clearly state that it is pinned) in your rifle bag. If they want to take a wrench to it after that, then they can pay for the repairs and look like an ass.

;)
Good luck with that!