PDA

View Full Version : XDM or M&P

Country DeVil
06-17-09, 00:08
I am planning on getting a new .40 and I have narrowed the field down to a green and black springfield XDM or a smith and wesson M&P. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the two?

FMF_Doc
06-17-09, 00:11
I personally like the XDM better than the M&P, the grip and overall feel of the XD just work for me.

If possible shoot both of them and compare how it performs for you.

lazythekid
06-17-09, 01:28
I've owned a XD, XDm, M&P, and Glock 17, 19. I eventually sold everything but the Glocks. Owning a Glock made the XD/XDm feel like a toy to me. I'm sure someone on these forums can give you a more technical answer, but simply put, I'm more comfortable with a Glock than either the XDm or M&P.

Given the choice between the XDm and M&P, I'd go with the M&P. I'd seriously consider a Glock 23 though.

As FMF_Doc said, take them all out and shoot. This is an investment so take your time. Also, search all the forums. This is definitely not the first time the question has been brought up.

Oscar 319
06-17-09, 01:56
Here we go again.........:rolleyes:

graffex
06-17-09, 02:05
XD's aren't very highly regarded, and M&P's are very highly regarded. Don't waste your time with the XD. Use the search function, this has come up plenty of times. You should see all the answers to what ever questions you have...

Jerm
06-17-09, 02:19
If it'll be used for concealed carry the M&P is the more practical choice IMO.The XDM seemed rather large to me for CC.

JiMfraRED1911
06-17-09, 06:17
Ahh geez, not this shit again...

Littlelebowski
06-17-09, 07:17
S&W M&P.

larry0071
06-17-09, 07:41
XD's aren't very highly regarded, and M&P's are very highly regarded. Don't waste your time with the XD. Use the search function, this has come up plenty of times. You should see all the answers to what ever questions you have...

His opening line needs to be qualified with "ON THIS PARTICULAR FORUM".

The XD is a fine pistol, there are several police that carry them in this area and more are changing to it. Our police do not have pistols assigned or given to them, they bring to the job what they wish to carry so long as meets the written requirements. Yea, the cop has to get out of school and go buy his gun, belt, and everything else he wishes to hang on that belt.

The point is, I have a couple friends that are LEO and we have recently B.S.'ed about the pistols that they carry and I was sort of surprised to hear that many are using the XD/XDm.

In the end the XD/XDm seems to be a fine pistol. It is a bit different from the glock and the others, but it shares many features with them and others as well. It is like a 1911/Glock mix to me. I aint scared of it, and it feels really nice in my hand. For now I still carry the Glock, but one day a olive drab XDm will be with me.

RogerinTPA
06-17-09, 07:44
Ground hog day... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28897&highlight=m%26p40

and https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23866&highlight=m%26p40

Business_Casual
06-17-09, 07:45
Larry,

Did you know that the entire British army is equipped with SA 80s?

Here is a link to a thread I started about handgun discussions: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

I think it has almost all of the "which gun/bullet/cartridge" threads to date.

M_P

Littlelebowski
06-17-09, 07:59
His opening line needs to be qualified with "ON THIS PARTICULAR FORUM".

The XD is a fine pistol, there are several police that carry them in this area and more are changing to it. Our police do not have pistols assigned or given to them, they bring to the job what they wish to carry so long as meets the written requirements. Yea, the cop has to get out of school and go buy his gun, belt, and everything else he wishes to hang on that belt.

The point is, I have a couple friends that are LEO and we have recently B.S.'ed about the pistols that they carry and I was sort of surprised to hear that many are using the XD/XDm.

In the end the XD/XDm seems to be a fine pistol. It is a bit different from the glock and the others, but it shares many features with them and others as well. It is like a 1911/Glock mix to me. I aint scared of it, and it feels really nice in my hand. For now I still carry the Glock, but one day a olive drab XDm will be with me.

There's plenty of data on this forum from known professionals that keeps many of us away from the XD platform. That and shooting it colors my perception of it :D

John_Wayne777
06-17-09, 08:06
I am planning on getting a new .40 and I have narrowed the field down to a green and black springfield XDM or a smith and wesson M&P. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the two?

The short answer is that the M&P is a duty grade handgun, albeit an imperfect one. The XD is not.

The longer answer can be found in the threads cited in an earlier post.

For my money, I would much rather have the M&P.

markm
06-17-09, 08:47
I really am not comfortable spending any money on anything from Springfield Armory. It's a silly marketing company more than anything else in my opinion.

spamsammich
06-17-09, 09:19
I've hated every XD I have shot, whether 9 or 40. It's the only gun I've found to make 9mm feel like I'm shooting 40. The XDM 9 I rented from the range was just as bad, only with a nicer trigger. I didn't have to work nearly as hard to shoot the M&P guns in any caliber.

.45fmjoe
06-17-09, 12:49
I really am not comfortable spending any money on anything from Springfield Armory. It's a silly marketing company more than anything else in my opinion.

Amazing how marketing works, no? How many times did you hear guys tripping over themselves for an HS2000?

larry0071
06-17-09, 13:05
I'm a long time Glock 17 owner, and a buddy at work grabbed a black XD9 and brought it to my house to shoot. I tried it out, and for my hand it was a nice fit. Now, my Glock is a 2nd gen, so maybe if I had compared a gen 4 Glock to the XD, the XD would not have seemed so nice. But the XD is very ergonomicly correct in my hands.

While the XD may not be a Glock, nothing out there is a Glock except for.... yep, the Glock. Everything else seems to be compared to the ugly plastic gun of the late 80's.

Who knows, maybe one day the MP will be the gun everyone compares against or maybe one day it will be the XD.... but I don't think that the XD/XDm is seeing major reliability issues. Most of what I read are "what if" scenarios about the non replaceable extractor. How many of them have ever seen an extractor based issue? Then there is the argument that the barrel center line is higher from the grip than a glock, and that this causes excessive or undesired recoil. In my experiance shooting the Glock 17 and the XD9 back to back, it was not a noticeable difference.

I have talked to a few guys that say that the XD/XDm does not feel good in thier hand at all, and others that, like myself, find it to be as close to perfect in hand as anything they have ever held.

The XD has a great capacity, comes with a decent retention holster and mag holster, fits some folks hands like the Lord himself designed it for the human hand... and has not had a plague of problems. So, if you (or I) like the SA XD platform, at least give it a try and wrap a hand around it. Heck, you just might like it!

USBP379
06-17-09, 15:19
Is there a range near you, where you could rent them all and see how they work for you? I have been running a race tuned Glock 34 for years, and yes, nothing shoots as well as the Glock for me, but I have been running a 9mm M&P L this year and I am definitely intrigued. It has a more ergonomic grip than the Glock, and the slide release is right under your thumb, so you get a faster reload from not having to shift your grip to reach the slide catch. I've had great luck with mine-very reliable and shoots accurately. Only criticism I've heard of it is that my buddy Tokarev is having light primer hits on his Pro, so it is going back to the factory.

Hey, the 40 is nice, but I sure do like light fast bullets-I'd get the 357 Sig for carry. If in 40, I'd look for the way-overloaded 155 grain load that the Border Patrol carries. You can pick it up from ammo dealers who operate near border towns. That shit may destroy your gun over time, but the performance is outstanding with that load.

BTW, I am biased. I liked the M&P so much that I bought the 45, and it is my favorite M&P. I carry the fullsize in winter and the 45 M&P compact in summer. Nothing like having my favorite old school 45 acp caliber in a modern fighting handgun.

I liked the XD when it was $350 and still sold under its original name. It's Eastern European (Croation?), isn't it? Now, it offends me to think of paying Springfield what they are asking for an import they don't even make.

NC12215
06-18-09, 13:12
I carry a G22 everyday at work. It is a "go bang every time" tool. I don't like the way the XDM feels and my wife owns a XD tactical in 9mm.
It is a very fine pistol. I would love to have my own in .45ACP. I have not experienced any of the issues others have with the XD.
Our department is soon to be transitioning to a M&P .45. I have shot them and find them better for me than the Glock SF.
I don't think you would upset with either one.
Dave

Irish
06-18-09, 13:29
S&W M&P for the reasons in the links. I own the full size in 9mm.

ToddG
06-18-09, 13:42
I'd pay money out of my own pocket for an M&P, and in fact have.

I was offered a free XD a few years ago and turned it down.

Draw your own conclusions ...

chadbag
06-18-09, 13:55
I'd pay money out of my own pocket for an M&P, and in fact have.

I was offered a free XD a few years ago and turned it down.

Draw your own conclusions ...

You must have been drinking too much that day ;-) Accepting the XD does not mean you have to use it or shoot it. I mean, free stuff.

IN all seriousness, based on comments here by people who know more than me, I bought an M&P 9mm and like it a lot and improved my shooting greatly. I will be getting more M&P in 9 and 40 as I can afford it

FMF_Doc
06-18-09, 17:58
I have an XD Tactical in .45, but my daily carry gun and the one I have trusted my life to in some bad situations has always been a Sig 226, I won't carry a plastic gun, they are fun to shoot but I won't trust my life to it.

My SIG is 20 years old and still tack driver accurate, I see no reason to look any further.

The M&P is a good design as is the XD, Glocks, and several others it all boils down to personal preference and life experiences.

Icculus
06-18-09, 18:17
A handgun is a very personal choice. I think the only way you're going to make a decision is find some folks that have both and let you shoot them or rent from your local range and just see. That or just buy one and then put it out of your mind and don't look back. Between those 2 I'd get the XDM unless it was for conceal only and then I'm might get the M&P compact just because of the size (yes I've shot both). I thought the XDMs fit my hand great, did not have excessive recoil due to the high bore axis, and pointed far more naturally than the M&P.

Again though its such a personal choice. For my money I wouldn't get either and depending on the size you wanted would get a P229 or P226 as I feel the Sig's are far superior. I'm sure a lot of folks here on glockworld...er, I mean m4carbine.com would point you a different direction:eek:;). Just going to have to go fondle them, shoot them, and then choose. Good luck

jhs1969
06-18-09, 22:38
I normally don't like to respond to these kind of post's but I just wanted to get a couple of points across. I for one have heard the XD does not stand up well to high volume shooting, which there are many on this site. I'm sure a search will turn up some of the problems.

Please do not view people who are given the option to buy their own duty weapons as guru's. When working for a security company a few years back we would often run across guys from a couple of other local security companies who were allowed to buy the duty weapon of their choice. Many of their selections were frightening, weapons I would not stake my life on for nothing. Most of these guys would put price before performance. And some of the local LE agencies that allow an officer to choose their own weapon have a short list of makes/models that are approved for selection.

Seek out the professionals, see what they carry and why. See what they will not carry and why. Some very good pros have already answered your question.

If this is for protection/duty, do some research and choose on performance not price. If this is for plinking/range use then have at it.

FWIW, I would only choose between Glock's, M&P's, HK's and Sig's for my own use.

Good luck

Business_Casual
06-19-09, 07:43
I have an XD Tactical in .45, but my daily carry gun and the one I have trusted my life to in some bad situations has always been a Sig 226, I won't carry a plastic gun, they are fun to shoot but I won't trust my life to it.

My SIG is 20 years old and still tack driver accurate, I see no reason to look any further.

The M&P is a good design as is the XD, Glocks, and several others it all boils down to personal preference and life experiences.

SIG 20 years ago was a different company and product. Today's SIG US isn't the cat's pajamas.

M_P

sewvacman
06-19-09, 07:57
I love my XDm and it is the gun I keep loaded in the house next to my bed. That said, Go with whatever fits in your hand the best. I personally have never shot a glock that I liked. That's my preference. The S&W is a cheaper gun so there are likely to be more of them out there for parts and such. I would say what a lot of others have already said. Try it and see if you like it, whichever it is you'll get a good gun.

Littlelebowski
06-20-09, 10:25
I won't carry a plastic gun, they are fun to shoot but I won't trust my life to it.

You don't trust Glocks because they're plastic?

RogerinTPA
06-20-09, 15:11
[QUOTE=FMF_Doc;392365]I won't carry a plastic gun, they are fun to shoot but I won't trust my life to it.QUOTE]

I curious about your statement as well. :confused:

ztf HITMAN
06-20-09, 21:11
My 2 cents, for what it's worth: I have had an XD 40, G23, and a M&P 40...The M&P is the one that I have settled on as my primary handgun...in fact, I plan to purchase an M&P 40C in the future...All the above were reliable, but the M&P was a better fit, and (at least in my hands) much, much more accurate....Felt recoil is much less than the G23. My rapid fire groups are much tighter. Try them all, and decide for yourself...

JAXM4
06-21-09, 02:59
M&P in .40 is a very nice platform and good choice. IMHO:)

ProMed
06-21-09, 22:48
I picked the XDm 40 since it fit my hands best with the adjustable backstraps.

Recently installed the Powder River Precision Match trigger kit, Titanium Striker Indicator & Striker Safety Kits w/ reduced springs, PRP laser cut grips, & XDGuys extended slide stop. Sent 200 failure free rounds through it earlier today playing with a resetting target. Feels like a new gun!

http://www.motonews.com/images/fbfiles/images/IMG_4869s.JPG
http://www.motonews.com/images/fbfiles/images/IMG_4872s.JPG

Icculus
06-22-09, 13:57
Pretty sick. So all the custom grip tape is PRP you said? Can't seem to find it, got a link?

larry0071
06-22-09, 14:39
ProMed,

Very nice XD buddy. Not everyone likes XD, that goes without saying.... but some folks do! I happen to desire one as well, and I will get the OD version like you have there but with the black upper. I think yours is the grey finish upper, correct? Hard to tell in the picture, the colors are not quite right.

Sweet looking XD, very nice.

ProMed
06-22-09, 16:07
Pretty sick. So all the custom grip tape is PRP you said? Can't seem to find it, got a link?
http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=17

ProMed
06-22-09, 16:13
ProMed,

Very nice XD buddy. Not everyone likes XD, that goes without saying.... but some folks do! I happen to desire one as well, and I will get the OD version like you have there but with the black upper. I think yours is the grey finish upper, correct? Hard to tell in the picture, the colors are not quite right.

Sweet looking XD, very nice.
Thanks man. Yes, mine is the OD/Stainless.

On the way I have a Don's guide rod, aluminum cocked indicator guide, & PRP .150 extended mag release to try out. After that I am going to start playing around with different sights. Thinking of a plain rear by Warren and something bright up front.

The PRP match trigger was a ton of fun over the stocker!

Country DeVil
06-22-09, 23:13
I went with the M&P, thanks for all the input. Whittaker guns had a good deal on the M&P and I traded in my crappy "look at my sweet rail that nothing fits on" sigma. what to buy next? more guns or motorcycle? I am still waiting on my upper from JT.

FMF_Doc
06-23-09, 00:27
You don't trust Glocks because they're plastic?

No I don't like the grip angle and feel of Glock pistols, I've tried several models and haven't been comfortable enough to carry one. I grew up shooting 1911's and other all metal guns, so the lack of weight does not inspire confidence to me and I like the SA/DA capabilities of the Sig pistols as well.

The one thing I do like most about the XD is the grip safety.

Just a personal preference.

I know there are thousands of them out there and they are serving fine in every role, but they are not for me.

OP- congrats on your pistol, if you like it and it fits your needs that's all that matters.

Business_Casual
06-23-09, 07:47
What to buy next?

Training classes!

Congrats, by the way.

M_P

RogerinTPA
06-23-09, 18:10
I went with the M&P, thanks for all the input. Congrats on your purchase. Excellent choice! :cool: I own the full size .45, .40, 9mm & 9c. I've shot the crap out of them and they're reliable as hell. If you dry fire, like most do, use azoom snap caps so you don't break your striker assembly.

What to buy next?

A dozen magazines, ammo, and training.

HK45
07-04-09, 19:10
The XDM seems OK but man that M&P just settles down into your hand like it was made for it. For .40 the M&P is a no brainer. Great control even when shooting rapidly.