PDA

View Full Version : Why NY1 vs the standard spring when running 3.5# connector?

condoor
06-17-09, 07:46
I've been reading the other Glock threads regarding trigger springs and connectors, and the overwhelming consensus is the NY1 + 3.5# connector combo. My question is why is the NY1 + 3.5# a better combo than the stock trigger spring and 3.5# connector. Doesn't the NY1 make the trigger pull heavier than the stock spring?

(FYI - I just installed a NY1 +3.5# yesterday and will hit the range this afternoon, but I would like to hear 'why' many of you pick this combo.)

thx-c

Littlelebowski
06-17-09, 07:57
A light trigger does not make a better trigger always. The NY mod makes for a smoother pull with a much better reset.

JonInWA
06-17-09, 08:11
The "-" connector has a shallower angle, which provides a slightly quicker reset point. With the standard coil trigger spring, I found the reset point to be a bit difficult to discern. With the NY1 trigger spring and the "-" connector, the reset point is much more evident, and there's consistant trigger pull to the reset point, instead of the two-stage triggerpull with the coil spring (which is slack for most of the triggerpull, then provides increased resistance for the last portion of the triggerpull before the break).

The NY1/"-" connector combination provides about a 6 lb triggerpull, which isn't an inordinate penalty-and which many find desirable due to the consistancy throughout the triggerpull combined with the slightly increased safety advantages inherent to the heavier triggerpull. I appreciate that also, but I mainly like it for how it provides a much more discernable reset point while also preserving the slight speed advantage inherent to the "-" connector.

Best, Jon

the1911fan
06-17-09, 08:20
The two stagey feel of the OEM Glock trigger I understand but to me no Glock trigger has a hard to discern reset..especially when compared to a stock M&P or a light 1911 trigger. When I installed the NY1 with my 3.5 the trigger was 7 Lbs. 9 Oz.'s, maybe with use it would have smoothed to 6 Lbs. but I tend to like about a 4 Lb. pull +/- 6 Oz.'s

ROSS4712
06-17-09, 08:48
I have tried the NY1 and 3.5 connector and I do agree the trigger reset is more positive than with the slack given by the standard "S" type trigger spring.

However there is a noticable heavier pull to the trigger with the NY1 and 3.5 than the standard connector and "S" spring in my opinion.

I did not measure the actual weight but didn't really need to. I could feel it and that was enough for me to go back the standard setup.

matthewdanger
06-17-09, 10:13
I use the NY1 for three reasons:

1. The take up is more consistent.
2. I have found it to be more durable than the standard spring.
3. This is the big one - the reset is very fast and very positive.

.45fmjoe
06-17-09, 12:51
I have no problems with the reset on the factory setup, in fact I shoot it quite well.

JonInWA
06-17-09, 13:41
I've (to date) kept the factory set-up (standard connector/coil trigger spring) on my G17, G19, and G21. My G17 in particular has a very nice triggerpull virtually out of the box.

It was on my G34 that came with the 4.5 "-" connector and coil spring that I was searching for improvement-for me, that set-up provided just a bit too light of a triggerpull and a difficult to discern reset point. The easiest to start with was simply replacing the coil trigger spring with the NY1; alternatively I could have replaced the "-" connector with the standard one.

I've been pleased with the NY1/"-" connector so far. There are certainly plenty of permutations possible, even when just using stock Glock components (which is important to me foe GSSF and IDPA use, as well as for carry).

Best, Jon

DacoRoman
06-17-09, 19:00
I've (to date) kept the factory set-up (standard connector/coil trigger spring) on my G17, G19, and G21. My G17 in particular has a very nice triggerpull virtually out of the box.

I have two 3rd gen G19's and they both have a really nice trigger out of the box. I have a 3rd Gen G17 that has a heavier "2nd" stage trigger. I have a 2nd Gen G17 that used to have a fantastic trigger after thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, but then I sent it to Glock for a parts upgrade and it came back with a really gritty uptake and much heavier 2nd stage.

Have any of you tried the .25$ trigger job? I am thinking of trying this before I start messing with changing springs.

JonInWA
06-17-09, 19:14
While I wouldn't say not to do it, you can do pretty much the same thing as the .25 trigger job merely by putting about 500-1000 rounds downrange.

You can also uaually make an improvement to the triggerpull merely by disassembling the triggerbar from the trigger housing mechanism piece, and applying some TW25B (a little bit is all you'll need) to the inner faces of the triggerbar and connnector where they interface against each other.

Best, Jon

Robb Jensen
06-17-09, 19:31
Just don't go too crazy with the polishing, bad things can happen.

Sometimes trying another trigger bar, connector and striker can make for really nice trigger pulls. If you know someone (an armorer) with 4-5 different trigger bars, 3.5lb connectors and striker. Keep trying many different variations of the different parts. You can get one that'll be really nice and the other end of the spectrum is possible too, heavy gritty trigger. The striker is the most expensive part in this area (besides the frame, barrel and slide) so first just try a bunch of different trigger bars if you have access to more than one. Then try different connectors. My favorite 3.5lb connectors are those made by Ghost. To me the genuine Glock 3.5lb connectors make for a mushy trigger pull, light but mushy. The Ghost is 'crisper' if that makes any sense. Most Glock 5lb connectors are even 'crispier' than the aftermarket 3.5lb connectors but the trigger pull is heavier. If you find the right combination of trigger bar, 5lb connector and striker you can get a nice light very crisp trigger pull.

Because the factory parts are mass produced the tolerances vary widely and some parts with other parts will result in less sear engagement between the trigger bar and striker and make for a safe but nice smooth crisp trigger pull.

If you're going to keep the slide internals really clean (disassembling the slide and cleaning it out after every range session) you can run a lighter firing pin safety spring without compromising reliability. The Wolff reduced power firing pin safety spring is the same spring rate as the original Glock brand ones before the 'upgrade'.

canucksvt
06-17-09, 20:38
I run the NY1 spring with 3.5lb connector in my carry G19. I like the heavier progressive trigger pull and the clean break when the striker fires. I also enjoy the positive reset I get with this setup.

The original trigger spring is the only issue I have ever had fail on Glock, and this potential achilles heel is fixed by the NY1 spring, which to me is a comfort that Mr. Murphy will not show up when I need my pistol to function the most.

diverge
06-18-09, 08:52
Polish your trigger first before you begin swapping out parts. Go to the detergent isle at Wal-Mart and grab some MAAS. Then head over to the tool section. Get some soft felt wheels. Don't use metal wheels. Using your dremel, hit all areas with metal on metal contact. Just enough to make it shiny and then move on. Flitz polish is also good. Think you can get that at CVS or WalGreens.

Always put oil between the connector and trigger bar. The Glock manual shows how to do this by dropping oil in from the top of the trigger assembly while the lower is still assembled. I disassemble mine, separate the parts and add oil. Sit your Glock frame on a roll of duck tape to punch out the pins. Makes it faster and easier. Also don't have to worry about losing the pins.

DacoRoman
06-18-09, 21:51
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Are there any aluminum aftermarket triggers that any of you like?

MSP "Sarge"
06-20-09, 16:43
I was checking out the Ghost website and noticed that there are two differant types of 3.5 offered. The Ultimate and the regular. Is the Ultimate really any differant? Will it produce the same results?

Turnkey11
06-21-09, 00:36
I swapped out my NY1 for a regular spring, I like the civy Glock trigger feel better.

Robb Jensen
06-21-09, 06:50
Are there any aluminum aftermarket triggers that any of you like?

No.

I was checking out the Ghost website and noticed that there are two differant types of 3.5 offered. The Ultimate and the regular. Is the Ultimate really any differant? Will it produce the same results?

I like the Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector for competition guns and Ghost 3.5lbs regular connectors for carry guns.

MSP "Sarge"
06-21-09, 14:04
Thanks gotm4. Gonna shoot a few rounds through it before I change anything. Just want to make sure the change is what I'm looking for.