PDA

View Full Version : New gun

bigb4015
06-17-09, 13:28
I am currently saving for a new rifle and stuck between a couple. Im looking at the Colt 6940 the DDM4 and the Lmt Cqb mrp . I have a few plinkers DPMS, HighStandard,Olympic arms and Im going to sell them and buy a quality rifle. Any other suggestions on a quality gun? I am fairly new to Ar shooting and am looking to step up in equiment.

Frens
06-17-09, 13:36
the LMT MRP use propietary barrels right? :rolleyes:
that the only reason I'd remove it from my wishlist...

as for DD vs 6940 I guess the Pony would be lighter since the receiver-handguards are one piece;
but the DD comes with a few nice accessories in the box.

sorry I couldnt help more..

ETA:
keep in mind you're comparing a Frerrari vs Lamborghini vs Bugatti; all 3 are top notch weapons! ;-)

RojasTKD
06-17-09, 13:36
Both are excellent and either should serve you well.

Many will agree that the DDM4 is just about the best value in a quality AR on the market right now.

AIM Surplus has a very attractive package deal for a DDM4

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_.223_5.56_M4_Rifle.html

Icculus
06-17-09, 16:47
the LMT MRP use propietary barrels right? :rolleyes:
Correct

as for DD vs 6940 I guess the Pony would be lighter since the receiver-handguards are one piece;
Not the one I picked up but obviously I didn't have a scale with me at the gun show. Maybe I just didn't eat my wheaties that day;)

ETA:
keep in mind you're comparing a Frerrari vs Lamborghini vs Bugatti; all 3 are top notch weapons! ;-)

Totally agree. I went with the DDM4 because it was the best value for me at the time while still getting top notch weapon. Good luck

phirehawk
06-17-09, 16:57
Either weapon will serve you well, it's just a matter of personal preference. Having handled both back to back, here are my impressions.
I like the fixed FSB on the DD. I also like that the rail extends past the FSB so that you can mount a light at twelve o'clock. With that said, the 6940 is a monolithic upper and feels lighter and sturdier to me. Plus, it has the advantage of being a Colt. Known, proven quality does count to you as you're selling some "also rans" to get the real deal. I prefer the free floated monolithic upper of the Colt combined with a known proven performer. I do really dislike that front sight, though. The Colt will cost a little more generally, especially when you start to add in another buttstock, winter trigger guard, rear swivel attachment and VFG (assuming you want each of those things). The DD is probably the better value, unless you have a personal want to own a Colt rifle, and that is a valid reason as well.

bigb4015
06-18-09, 01:20
Im leaning toward the DDm4 I like all the upgrades it comes with and heard nothing but good reviews about it. Any imput on the smith & wesson M&P Tactical the one with the 10' Troy free float forearm and Troy buis? This carbine is around 1200 bucks seems likea decent weapon.

Icculus
06-18-09, 02:35
Im leaning toward the DDm4 I like all the upgrades it comes with and heard nothing but good reviews about it. Any imput on the smith & wesson M&P Tactical the one with the 10' Troy free float forearm and Troy buis? This carbine is around 1200 bucks seems likea decent weapon.

Ok I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thread; just a few posts; but you might try here for some info
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32147&highlight=M%26P15T

I looked at the 15T as well. Seems like a fine platform. I can't remember who (hey its 3am and I'm stuck at work when I should be sleeping;)) but there's someone on here that has both the ddm4 and the 15T and may be able to offer you a direct comparison.

torquemada055
06-18-09, 21:11
Oh man was my son green with envy seeing that AIM ad......
Just wish I had the money to buy it for him. Seeing that he lost his job just before Christmas and with no work around here to be had he is back to living at home.

senorlinc
06-21-09, 14:17
fathers day sale at AIM surplus. the DD was on this list so i believe it is available for 10% off and $.01 shipping